Collingwood seeks to tear up Queen's Birthday agreement with Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

When the Queen dies we will be a republic soon after.
So perhaps 20 QB's left?
Play Essendon QB for MND and share the gate at all games.
Alternately, happy to share the gate with Pies for all games with them.
Only reason it's with the Pies is that game still holds the H&A record. Set 60 years ago.

Topkent, Donkeypunchd0 and jack son 5 have had a fair bit to say that held no relevance
You call that melting? After QB a Collingwood fan literally made a video of umpiring errors and your board was still complaining about it two weeks later when we beat West Coast. That's melting

Like many other Melbourne supporters I am grateful for Collingwood's magnanimity re QB. With the exception of Carlton, foundation clubs need to stick together.

The day is about Freeze MND. Melbourne do not need Collingwood to make this work. It has nothing to do with Collingwood. All Melbourne need to do is request another decent sized Melbourne club to play on the Queens Birthday Monday and pretty much the same number of people will show up.

And every other club in Victoria will be lining up to travel one game less.

Collingwood will lose their extra Melbourne MCG game and they can play Gold Coast on the moon instead.

Collingwood are not an integral part of Queens Birthday. If they want to walk let them.

The AFL is not going to stop promoting the Freeze MND game any time soon.

Sounds like Eddie's preparing for the loss of revenue once Buckley's ten-year extension is announced.

Classic Eddie, gets in just in time for the Queen to cark it, the monarchy to disband and the government to shift the public holiday to a warmer month when families would actually go away for the weekend.

Collingwood are not an integral part of Queens Birthday. If they want to walk let them.

It would be interesting to see what the crowd would be like if we were replaced with a different club - there may be a drop-off, there may not.

The QB game makes up 15 of their 20 top home crowds of the last 20 years. Going by how full the MCC is on these days I imagine a lot of old codgers who think rivalries from the 1950's still matter make it their one game of the season to attend.

http://afltables.com/afl/crowds/melbourne.html#3a

No, it's because Melbourne were struggling financially, and the match normally draws a decent crowd as they are traditional rivals, so to help them out Collingwood requests it as an Away match.

That they got the extra TV time, and consequent exposure for the club, sponsors, etc. wouldn't have escaped Eddie's notice, or failed to make an appearance on the club's bottom line. For a 'continual away game', it was quite lucrative. Yeah, they could have made more if they played is as a home game half the time, but they mightn't have got the match at all if they insisted on that.

My compromise is that the Demons host 2 out of every 3 games. (2018, 2020, 2021, 2023 etc)

You can't dismiss the fact that the Demons have been dudded fixture wise since the latest expansion occurred.

They've hosted 46 non-Victorian teams since 2011, with Collingwood only hosting 28.

In the same time frame, Melbourne have hosted 17 MCG co-tenants with Collingwood hosting 26. To break it down further Melbourne have hosted Carlton and Essendon a total of 2 times in 7 years whilst Collingwood have hosted the same 2 teams 14 times.

I'd rather Melbourne keep the fixture, but the compromise makes sense.

Those numbers are scandalous

Sounds reasonable if Melbourne's financially in a better spot again now.
It helped Melbourne out and we profited from it, too, indirectly.
Would be a shame if the association didn't continue now that we would stand to cop our share of the gate because it seems like it is lucrative enough.
But for me, the bit that gets overlooked is that these holiday games aren't distributed evenly. We and some others (who I guess did the groundwork in some cases) tend to get these slots and other teams don't get a look in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah not really. It's relevant to point out that your clubs leadership are hypocritical to spruik QB as an example of helping a smaller club, then crack the shits when that club poaches personnel. As if we should extend our begging bowl in perpetuity instead of trying to do something proactive to fix the clubs situation, which Taylor has.

Hypocritical would be Melbourne for not pulling out of the deal IF it had an issue.

**** Collingwood thinking they subsidise the rest of the comp.

Dogs, Saints, North and Blues have paid off Etihad for the rest of the comp. Getting shitty stadium deals.

yeah the 3 million over the last 2 years is what weve paid and the eagles ,hawks and crows , so thats 12 million or 6 million a year we pay the other 14 teams, cats will pay it this year too, equalisation LOL
And what you clowns have recieved is HAND OUT after Handout and still are going no where
For years you did jack shit in pr , you were arogant when on top and had BAD role models you refused to pull into line and therefore didnt increse your membership, tough shit and suck it up princess
we mate play 3 or 4 games at your shit hole every season as well to help pay it off and we always draw more heads than you guys when we play there as well with less FREE tickets.
You must be due for another 10 year rule heh, bring back Allen and Ron
You need to become more relevant move to tassie where you shouldhave been 10 years ago

That they got the extra TV time, and consequent exposure for the club, sponsors, etc. wouldn't have escaped Eddie's notice, or failed to make an appearance on the club's bottom line. For a 'continual away game', it was quite lucrative. Yeah, they could have made more if they played is as a home game half the time, but they mightn't have got the match at all if they insisted on that.

Also consider that Collingwood takes the gate from the Ponsford stand, which, regardless of whether it's a Collingwood home or away game, acts as a Collingwood social club on game day.

Many variables in play here. Do Collingwood get the home game on ANZAC and Queen's Birthday? Do they lose another blockbuster?

I have no issue with switching home and away, but only if gate takings are split. If not, we'll welcome Essendon into the spot :)

My compromise is that the Demons host 2 out of every 3 games. (2018, 2020, 2021, 2023 etc)

You can't dismiss the fact that the Demons have been dudded fixture wise since the latest expansion occurred.

They've hosted 46 non-Victorian teams since 2011, with Collingwood only hosting 28.

In the same time frame, Melbourne have hosted 17 MCG co-tenants with Collingwood hosting 26. To break it down further Melbourne have hosted Carlton and Essendon a total of 2 times in 7 years whilst Collingwood have hosted the same 2 teams 14 times.

I'd rather Melbourne keep the fixture, but the compromise makes sense.

Great work with the stats, but we dont do the fixture , its all Hawks at AFL house isnt it
Could you find out how many goals from free kicks over the last 5 years say Hawthorn vs Collingwood or any other club
That would sure be enlightning

Yeah not really. It's relevant to point out that your clubs leadership are hypocritical to spruik QB as an example of helping a smaller club, then crack the shits when that club poaches personnel. As if we should extend our begging bowl in perpetuity instead of trying to do something proactive to fix the clubs situation, which Taylor has.
Yes I'm sure Simon Taylor is the reason for Collingwood's decision to tear up the agreement. Nuff.

My understanding is that Collingwood share the ANZAC Day gate each year and that is what would be proposed for QB. I can't see an issue with that. This will be internally tied in with an expected increase in the FD department spending tax that the internal review will likely recommend as a necessary by product of ramping up FD spending in light of results and falling behind in a few areas.

Personally I couldn't care less if the game is removed from the fixture but while Neil Daniher is alive I think the game should, at least remain and a FMND event.

You call that melting? After QB a Collingwood fan literally made a video of umpiring errors and your board was still complaining about it two weeks later when we beat West Coast. That's melting
There it is again. Can't say anything about the poor Demons supporters.

My understanding is that Collingwood share the ANZAC Day gate each year and that is what would be proposed for QB. I can't see an issue with that. This will be internally tied in with an expected increase in the FD department spending tax that the internal review will likely recommend as a necessary by product of ramping up FD spending in light of results and falling behind in a few areas.

Personally I couldn't care less if the game is removed from the fixture but while Neil Daniher is alive I think the game should, at least remain and a FMND event.
Anzac day gets shared between all clubs + the RSL i believe not just Pies and Dons

Also consider that Collingwood takes the gate from the Ponsford stand, which, regardless of whether it's a Collingwood home or away game, acts as a Collingwood social club on game day.

Many variables in play here. Do Collingwood get the home game on ANZAC and Queen's Birthday? Do they lose another blockbuster?

I have no issue with switching home and away, but only if gate takings are split. If not, we'll welcome Essendon into the spot :)

How can you be sure of that, a link to support the claim? Is it an AFL deal or with the MCC?
Whats the capacity of the Ponsford?

Anzac day gets shared between all clubs + the RSL i believe not just Pies and Dons
Not sure about that. I don't think that's how it was a while back but may have changed. The RSL always got a drink out of it. Bruce Ruxton was a key part of the initial organising with Sheedy

How about we keep the day and you piss off? Why do you deserve a stand alone public holiday? You go back to the 4.40 Sunday slot where you belong and we'll play Carlton on the queens birthday, Collingwood and Carlton would raise a hell of a lot more money than any game involving your club, and it's all about the money isn't it?

Collingwood don't take the gate from the Ponsford. It's an away game membership area that also holds our social club for both home and away games. As such Collingwood pays the home team a percentage of the revenue gained to cover the loss the home team would miss out on from GA ticket sales.

Collingwood and Essendon rotate the gate for Anzac Day so I don't really see how that would make a difference in any case.

Also seems ridiculous that after getting the home gate for 20 years you're only happy with sharing the gate now that we want it. Both clubs get plenty out of playing on the day - you don't actually own it anymore than Collingwood or any other club do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood seeks to tear up Queen's Birthday agreement with Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back