Collingwood to have own VFL Team in 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Send them baby magpies back home to Vic Park. Please god, thats you eddie when we are talking black and white. If we cannot do that then turn the oval at lexus into the oval suitable to watch collingwood VFL at lexus.
I really think Vic club is out of the question now – sad as that is. As for an oval at Lexus that is a real issue. What we have now should not be acceptable for a club of our status. At the last AGM it was raised. Eddie’s response was that the surface is much better. That was a lame start. He went to talk about the possibility of Olympic Park. That seems a big task given its use but if he could pull it off it would be awesome. Slight issue with Eddie’s role on both boards though. As far as I know nothing has been achieved in this regard. As good as Lexus is for the players it isn’t Vic Park for the fans and we don’t have an adequate training oval on site.

Great decision by the club. about time, at least now our future midfielders such will actually get a fair go in the middle, insted of always being pushed onto a flank or wing, As seemed to be the policy this year. Guys like Iles, Stanley, Cook and Nichols should now get a better run on the ball as they should!

Not to mention some of the Willy faithfull who consistantly boo and jeer the listed willy players.

who would coach? one of the assistants? bucks?

Couldn't disagree more. We can clearly afford the financial implications of going it alone and the football benefits would also be positive.
I would much rather be able to play who we want, where we want, and when we want. I'm sick of seeing that Wellingham is playing willi 2nds because of quotas.

Plus playing on that shithole wind tunnel does nothing to help us.

If people think the AFL will allow the Reserves games to be played at the MCG before our seniors, they'd better think again. Wont happen. The ground gets too much traffic already and the MCC will not allow curtain raisers.

We dont have a home ground any more. The Reserves will not sustain themselves - they will not make a cent to cover costs. May as well stay at Williamstown and let them pay the salaries for the non AFL players.

I think it will be good for the likes of Reid and Dawes to get a guaranteed run up forward, not having to compete with Rose, Limbach, etc.

It will also be good for the young mids, as ROWDY26 says. Wellingham won't have to go back to the twos every week we play a non-affiliated team.

I highly doubt the meeting approved a stand alone team for 2008. 2009 maybe but this is way too early.

Rumour is FACT. Recruiters are assembling possible squad already. Scouting TAC for players who they feel may just miss out on being drafted as well as other suitable leagues.

Rumour is FACT. Recruiters are assembling possible squad already. Scouting TAC for players who they feel may just miss out on being drafted as well as other suitable leagues.

Ummmm serious question, if I was interested in having a go, how would I go about it? I'd love to, and I'm sure, a few others who are still young and have a little something may want to try out.

This is just awesome and the more I think about the way the club is trying to access unknown talent should be congratulated. Martin Clarke is the obvious standout recruit and another Irishman is on the way. We've got 3 Scholarship players in NSW stewing away, a permanent scout in WA and now something like this. We've bound to have other things going on but the thought of picking up a local smokey that comes from the 2's, goes onto the 1's and then onto being a premiership player? .... well I'm luvin' that idea a lot! :) IIRC Dane Swan didn't come through the draft system which is not a bad argument in itself really.

GO PIES! :thumbsu:

In terms of a Home ground for you guys, Curtain raisrers may be shunted by the AFL and VFL, a shame I know, but from a VFL point of view it's not what they want, Vic park is half an Option, It is currently getting redeveloped into a public access ground with a couple of remaining stands, it would suit the VFL down to the ground. here is a link: http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/rates/Parks/Victoria Park.asp
Check out the MAster plan.

If Collingwood choose to play some games there it might speed up the process a bit. Would probably have the potential to attract half decent crowds aswell!

Interesting times ahead for the VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish idea. The Williamstown alignment works superbly, and I would not like to see it change. Surely the club has better ways to waste its money than to spend it on a second football team and full support crew.

I agree Timmy Williamstown have made us most welcome as part of their Club.

sorry guys but how is wellingham going to get a game in the 1s, surely the 10-12 rule will still apply????I dont know this rule all that well can anyone explain.

There is no way we can field a vfl team on just the pies list and sustain the numbers throughout the year.

for the record regardless i think it is a great idea to bring back a collingwood reserves team/s. Who knows might even one day end up with a good old under 19s team as well.

I think Fitsroy, Western Bulldogs, st kilda melbourne, richmond, north melb, geelong and carlton should also bring back reserves style team. Bring the VFL to TD or the G before a big game. I think it will also bring back a community feel to the victorian based teams, and give the VFL a big boost in the arm in terms of popularity.

I think this will also aid in landing bigger sponsorship deals for the entire collingwood football club. (imagine 66 blokes running around with the same kit on every weekend) Collingwood will also have greater power in pulling the wool over eyes of the rest of the clubs when it comes to drafting players (like they did with rus, one game in the sanfl magoos to qualify for the draft).

Obviously just like Geelong we would have a VFL list of players available to us throughout the year just like any other VFL team but ours will be alot smaller as no VFL reserves side

The 12/10 part is the hard bit, I thought I heard the Cats have to play by that during the finals

But its basically in finals and against non AFL alligned clubs you must have only 12 AFL listed players, but when against alligned clubs you could play 22 Pies listed players if we had no injuries

Dane Swan was drafted from the Calder Cannons, don't remember the pick.

My mistake .... "2001 AFL Draft 4th round selection (Collingwood) No. 58 overall". When he was interviewed on CTV during the year I'm sure he was asked and then said he didn't come through the normal draft process. Guess I got that wrong - doh!

Obviously just like Geelong we would have a VFL list of players available to us throughout the year just like any other VFL team but ours will be alot smaller as no VFL reserves side

The 12/10 part is the hard bit, I thought I heard the Cats have to play by that during the finals

But its basically in finals and against non AFL alligned clubs you must have only 12 AFL listed players, but when against alligned clubs you could play 22 Pies listed players if we had no injuries

The 12/10 rule also applies during the season when playing Frankston and Port Melbourne (and potentially Williamstown if their alignment with the Bulldogs falls through)

We should stay out of the cull debate. We have made ourselves almost bullet proof thanks largely to Eddie. That covers all we need to on that front. Meanwhile we keep pushing the bar higher and keep a competitive advantage v the Vic clubs with our financial strength. That of itself will pressure the smaller clubs if we had such and aim – which I don’t believe we do. Certainly Eddie doesn’t seem to.

Relatively meaningless - the AFL keeps bailing the basket cases out and Howard pours millions into the Western Oval re-development as part of his last re-election bid. I think the 11:11:0 home-away-neutral (or 10:10:2) draw the interstate clubs have is the key issue here - and, on that score, Geelong have a massive advantage.

Apologies for going off-topic.

While it suits them. Time and cost change everything. The GC seems firmly on the agenda.

Agreed - and you also give up some independence when you take their handouts.

Don't get me wrong: Eddie is clearly the best administrator (at whatever level) that we've had since the glory days of Copeland, Curtis and Wraith and has been fantastic for us. Our financial viability clearly goes a very long way to ensuring our future. However, it's very difficult to translate our financial success to on-field success - we can merely tinker at the edges under current arrangements.

Cats have the 12-10 rule but it is basically a 16-6 rule as the rookie listed players are counted as VFL players

Ok so we are going to be playing games at Princes Park. This would sit fine for me if we were going to call the team the 'carlton magpies' or something like that but its not, the team will be the collingwood magpies. Not only will we be playing our HOME games in carlton, we will be paying carlton to use their ground. :thumbsdown: That would have to be the most un-collingwood thing ever. Surely Vic Park is the way to go.

I've looked into those studies (about the renovations at vic park) on the yarracity web site and there has been alot of talk but the council are yet to walk the walk. Any one have any up dates on how the council are going with the reno's?

Been enjoying reading all the forum threads, but this topic has been irking me for a while so I thought I add my 5 cents worth.

I am glad that the board had the foresight and invest in a VFL team. In the next 5 years what I would like to see is Collingwood be able to invest in a youth academy as well. This will allow the club to grow their own talent from the grass roots.

Unfortunatelly the idea of playing at Vic Park is long gone. That idea died when every team signed the CBA and agreed to play on communal grounds. Biggest waste of time in my opinion. Instead of wasting however millions of dollars on a new stadium they could have invested that in upgrading Optus Oval and Vic Park to 60,000 seating capacity. Every interstate team has a home ground advantage, why shouldn't Victorian team have the same. A bit off topic but it seemed like the place to vent my spleen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood to have own VFL Team in 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back