List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

If Ablett was a footballer in this day and age, it's unlikely he'd get on the field for the majority of the season. Likely to be suspended for on-field or off-field discretions.

Freak talent, but those days are gone.

Naïve to compare Henry to Ablett.

Mate, if snr was available today he'd be JDG (and then some)....he'd be on 1.5mill a year....lol

If we are honestly gonna be paying Grundy’s contract, and upto 300k a year if it to move him on, I am in disbelief.

If McStay comes along on a 600k year contract, basically he’s worth 900k because we’ll be off setting the loss of Grundy by acquiring him.

That makes me absolutely ******* vile.
McStay will be at Collingwood regardless. Grundy isn't being axed to fund McStay.

Nevertheless, McStay is a versatile, strong, contested marking forward. Grundy is none of those things. They're not like for like in any way. McStay makes a better, more balanced team than Grundy does

Mate, if snr was available today he'd be JDG (and then some)....he'd be on 1.5mill a year....lol
I'm not doubting his ability. As I said, freak talent.

In my opinion though, the way in which the game is adjudicated on the field and policed off it would count against Ablett Snr. The risk attached to paying someone as unpredictable as he was such a large sum would be something most clubs would baulk at.

It makes the Henry comparison even more unrealistic.

He was the 3rd ranked ruckman in the league according to AFL stats, behind only Gawn and English before his injury. Was ranked 2nd behind Gawn In 2020 and 2021. The hyperbole about his performances over the previous couple of seasons knows no bounds.
I agree completely. What's your point?

Haven't really been paying attention to the Trade and F/A threads but is the chasing of McStay as a forward or a back? Interesting to think what our combination of tall forwards will be next year.

Cox and Cameron to share the ruck duties
Mihocek, Johnson and Kreuger you'd think would all be locks for Rd1 next year.
Can we play McStay alongside those 3, and the resting ruckman?

Yep....their 20 year old versions....absolutely. Get back to me in 15 years
I’m pretty comfortable with the odds of him not becoming one of the greatest forwards of all time lmao

Haven't really been paying attention to the Trade and F/A threads but is the chasing of McStay as a forward or a back? Interesting to think what our combination of tall forwards will be next year.

McStay will replace Cox

I'm not doubting his ability. As I said, freak talent.

In my opinion though, the way in which the game is adjudicated on the field and policed off it would count against Ablett Snr. The risk attached to paying someone as unpredictable as he was such a large sum would be something most clubs would baulk at.

It makes the Henry comparison even more unrealistic.

Wondering when Snr was "unpredictable" on field for the Cats. Dominant maybe? Unpredictable in what way?? 8 goals or 10?

McStay will be at Collingwood regardless. Grundy isn't being axed to fund McStay.

Nevertheless, McStay is a versatile, strong, contested marking forward. Grundy is none of those things. They're not like for like in any way. McStay makes a better, more balanced team than Grundy does

Sounds like your describing what Darcy Cameron can do up forward whilst we have a ruck who is 3x better than anyone else we have.

Give me Grundy + DC vs DC + McStay on basically the exact same money any day of the week.

I think the second ruck will be rotated between Freddy and McStay. I think we might even use Frampton as an occasional back up ruck also

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not convinced Cox and Cameron will play together next year, and believe McStay will act as chop out ruck with the one who has the stronger pre-season. My personal preference is Cameron, however Cox has surprised me plenty of times before and may once again.

My other gut preference is that we should move Kreuger back to defence over the pre-season, and play Mihocek, McStay and Ash up forward. I think Kreuger can make an aggressive, negating defender and I think he has more potential in a role to support Moore than Frampton and McMahon do. I also believe playing defence will be much easier on Kreuger's body than playing forward. I'm not convinced he will make 50 games as a forward.

Trading Henry has the potential to be one of infamous decisions that haunts the club for 15 years.

He has the potential to be a major star of the competition in my opinion. Inconsistent at the moment but he's so young and given such limited opportunity.

Would be madness to trade him now before he matures.

We will really regret this decision for many years to come.

Well he might of told us he won't Re-Sign

Serious question, do you watch Collingwood play? This one quarter of good footy and between half a dozen bad games narrative you're trying to spin is unedifying.
If you genuinely consider asking a Collingwood supporter on a Collingwood forum if they watch Collingwood play to be a serious question, then I apologise for overestimating your capabilities.

Sounds like your describing what Darcy Cameron can do up forward whilst we have a ruck who is 3x better than anyone else we have.

Give me Grundy + DC vs DC + McStay on basically the exact same money any day of the week.
I don't think the gap between Grundy, and Cox and Cameron is that substantial anymore. Grundy does not have near the presence in marking that the other two do, and he doesn't offer any support in defence like Cameron does (Cox can, but doesn't often).

A ruck and a forward who can ruck beats two rucks any day

How has Henry's value gone from $200k to $800k?

Like a few boards back we were saying $350k absolute max, now he's at $800k?! If Henry honestly thinks he's that good, he should look at the team that runs out on the weekend and accept that he's not in it and there are players ahead of him to earn that coin.
He def. won't get anywhere near that at Geelong or any other club.

Without knowing the details of the contract offer. At the very least, we need to match whatever Geelong might offer.

We will end up regretting we didn't fight harder for this kid.

I think what you're suggesting, ultimately, is a dance-off.

If we really want Ollie, if we want to win his heart, then we have to dance for it.

There needs to be a break battle. Wrighty has no other job right now.

electric-boogaloo.jpg

We'll take it to the streets and Ollie will know that we want him more than Geelong. If we fail, at least we'll look sensational.

But work out their “vs” salaries and I’d prefer DC + McStay.
Mcstay much better than DC fwd.

Would it hurt is he reaches Gunston's level?
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what we get back for him. I don’t think we’d regard it as a complete disaster if we were to grab a player like Keeler to replace him, who by position probably better fills our needs and is just as dynamic.

I am not convinced Cox and Cameron will play together next year, and believe McStay will act as chop out ruck with the one who has the stronger pre-season. My personal preference is Cameron, however Cox has surprised me plenty of times before and may once again.

My other gut preference is that we should move Kreuger back to defence over the pre-season, and play Mihocek, McStay and Ash up forward. I think Kreuger can make an aggressive, negating defender and I think he has more potential in a role to support Moore than Frampton and McMahon do. I also believe playing defence will be much easier on Kreuger's body than playing forward. I'm not convinced he will make 50 games as a forward.
Yeah good points. I think the Cox and Cameron combination has worked well this year, but Cox probably only has a few more years left in him it makes sense. Bringing in McStay with the emergence of Johnson really gives us a lot more flexibility.

So much of the trade discussion baffles me.
1. McStay in. With the blossoming of Johnson and more relevantly the clear confidence that the administration has in Kreuger, why is this a certainty?

2. Grundy out. Money seems to be the only issue here. None of the financial arguments make any sense as simple addition. Nobody knows the actual figures, so it is all invention.

3. Hill in. There seems no space in the small forward positions. Granted we don't have a player with Hill's characteristics, but there doesn't seem to be a small forward we can safely dispense with. The midfiield talk may mean something.

4. Henry out. Makes no sense talent wise. Looks a replacement ]Jeremy Howe. Is it only money?

5. Frampton in. I can see the need there. The descriptions seem positive.

6. I am assuming De Goey is staying.

7. Mitchell in. With all the money talk, how can this work.

8. Any others: how many delistings can we manage, with 3 (2 with a Noble upgrade) draftees required.

9. What is the point in getting more draft picks with a bulging list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back