List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

I'm far from arguing against a failure by the club but can't you see beyond that?

My issue is with the treatment of Adam which was simply disgraceful.

The rest was the first sighting of the circumstances that now dominate the trading landscape.

We were overextended with contract juggling at the time Covid hit - and we weren't the only ones but we were vulnerable and took it in the neck.

I don't scream incompetence like so many - I seethe quietly at an unsupportable attack on a loyal player that played out publicly.

The rest is happenstance.

Absolutely agree re Treloar and now Grundy.

Wherever he goes accepts the contract he on (reported 2 years @ $1.6m) but when contracting him to his new club extending the deal (say 4x years @ $2m). Still gets his $1.6m specified, it’s just spread a little thinner.
Cheers.
So is it possible he could get to us and then refuse to thin out his contract (assuming it had already been discussed and agreed to)?I realise it might not be a good move on his part.

If the league hadn’t just negotiated its way through a major pandemic, weren’t looking to consolidate a fledgling AFLW competition, and weren’t looking at another expansion, then I’d be more agreeable. The standard 2-3%PA accumulates pretty well over the life of the deals.

I'll see that and raise you a staggering $4.5b over 5 year for the recently signed tv rights extension. For comparison's sake the previous deal was $2.5b over 6 years, which at the time was hailed as a huge landmark deal for the competition compared to the previous $1.25b deal over 6 years.

A) We're pretty much out of the pandemic now. Yes people are still a little twitchy but overall the mood in professional sports is extremely buillish.

B) The AFLW wont take that much bigger of a slice of the pie realistically for the next 5 years, even if they do increase player payments to make full time professional AFLW footballers a thing at all levels on playing lists.

C) The expansion is set to largely fund itself in pretty much every way aside from the standard payments the AFL makes to clubs - see: ‘Really positive’: Tassie team’s $204m boost amid new stadium plans and govt funding hope

TL;DR - There's nothing substantial in the reasons you've put forward above to make the AFLPA to back off its current bullish position of players continuing to get a fixed (and most likely increased) minimum percentage of revenues, with scope to increase that percentage if and when the AFL experiences an unexpected windfall.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can he not turn into a mid, many mids start it in afl off hbf including Daicos…

Sure, and he might do really well. Definitely has skills. But if you were Wrighty would you wanna pay $1.6mil over two years to a bloke 5 years older than Naicos to find out? You'd want to nail that pick 7!

The sticking point being a behavioural clause should only be a sticking point if De Goey doesn't think he has the capacity to behave.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm all for it. If he walks because of it, so be it. He caused enough trouble and brand damage for the return of a few good finals. If he won a flag, that would ease but he hasn't.

Absolutely agree re Treloar and now Grundy.
Brodes is a situation I readily admit I have issues with regarding his attitudes with life goals and professional goals spilling over.

That said it's hard to tell the real truth behind the theatrics from all three of club, player and manager.

I can see both sides of the argument and I share some of Brodes attitudes regarding life goals but I'm not a professional sports person with a duty to club and AFL. I admire his attitude as a man but I have reservations about it as a professional sports person.

Sure the salary is impacting the negotiations but perhaps the crux of the issues is not as we are hearing outside the club. Club management and AFL policy would surely be in agreement that a player of Brodes level of profile should not be going public with any hint of a laconic attitude towards winning a flag.

This is what I hate about player managers conducting negotiations via the media, it distorts the facts and sets up an adversarial position for club and player which is counter productive to everyone concerned except the player manager.

The club and Brodes should have sat down together some time ago with all cards on the table and had a frank discussion away from the media circus and it's still not too late but time is running short.

Brodes is a situation I readily admit I have issues with regarding his attitudes with life goals and professional goals spilling over.

That said it's hard to tell the real truth behind the theatrics from all three of club, player and manager.

I can see both sides of the argument and I share some of Brodes attitudes regarding life goals but I'm not a professional sports person with a duty to club and AFL. I admire his attitude as a man but I have reservations about it as a professional sports person.

Sure the salary is impacting the negotiations but perhaps the crux of the issues is not as we are hearing outside the club. Club management and AFL policy would surely be in agreement that a player of Brodes level of profile should not be going public with any hint of a laconic attitude towards winning a flag.

This is what I hate about player managers conducting negotiations via the media, it distorts the facts and sets up an adversarial position for club and player which is counter productive to everyone concerned except the player manager.

The club and Brodes should have sat down together some time ago with all cards on the table and had a frank discussion away from the media circus and it's still not too late but time is running short.
Imagine typing that with a straight face. Imagine thinking someone's life should not be as fulfilling because of one Dom Sheed kick. Grundy was an utter beast and complete professional. His form just dipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back