List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion 2022-->

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key dates attached so we know what’s going on when.

• Friday 30 September at 9.00am
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency and Unrestricted Free Agency Period commences
Monday 03 October at 9.00am
  • AFL Trade Period commences – Players & Selections
Friday 07 October at 5.00pm
  • Close of AFL Restricted Free Agency Offer and Unrestricted Free Agency Period.
Monday 10 October
  • AFL Draft Nominations open (9am)
  • AFL Restricted Free Agency Matching Offer 3 Day Period Ends (5pm)
Wednesday 12 October at 7.30pm
  • AFL Trade Period closes – players and selections
Thursday 03 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
  • AFL Trade Period closes – selections only
Monday 21 November by 3.00pm
  • AFL Draft Nominations close
Monday 28 November at 7.10pm
  • 2022 AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)
  • Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.
Tuesday 29 November
  • AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)
  • 2022 AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)
Wednesday 30 November
  • AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)
  • AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)
Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm
  • Final AFL Club List Lodgement

Yes, yes they do.

They also call a Chicken Parmigiana a "parmi" down there so they'll feel right at home.

giphy.gif

Even without an exemption for next years first, they’ve got the currency in pick 7. It’s just that they refuse to use it. As I said, they want to have their cake and eat it too. Even with the pick swap they rejected from us they still come out of the trade period as massive winners, gaining Bruhn, Henry, Bowes, and upgrading pick 18 to pick 16, for what amounts to a loss of several later picks. They’re just being ******* greedy.

You make a good point regarding #7.

They did gut their 2023 draft hand though (and will need to further do so to get Henry), and Bowes is an average AFL midfielder on big coin, and Henry and Bruhn are flawed blue sky prospects at this stage.

There are many scenarios in which this trade period goes down badly for Geelong in the long run, even if they get #7 and add a quality player to mitigate it.

The point being that if you nominate for the draft, you accept the conditions.
And he did for the length of that contract... That contract is now at an end and hence why he is refusing to sign another one. He is well within his rights to do so.... Its funny the same posters on BF demanding we get Logan McDonald after 2 years because he was a Collingwood Supporter are now claiming Henry a traitor for doing the same in reverse

100% this. Letting him go to the PSD is better in the long run than handing a first-round talent to the reigning Premiers for peanuts. I know we got decimated by injury in 2004, but imagine if Port just caved and gave us Nick Stevens. Same with Saints and Luke Ball, things turned out for the best in the end but imagine the outrage if they handed him (and essentially the Premiership) to us for a crap pick.

If we cave AGAIN then every club is just going to keep taking advantage of us because they know we will eventually cave.
Bullet dodged with Stevens! Interestingly, they effectively replaced him by throwing a lifeline out to josh Mahoney who had been delisted by a few clubs already. Mahoney played in a premiership that year.

The only club that lost out of the Stevens non Trade was Carlton!

you’d think as pies supporters we’d dealt with it enough with the whole Grundy, Degoey contracts etc. Ollie Henry comes in and says “hold my beer”

He has to be situated close to home and have his immediate family hold his beer, driving no further than 10 mins with the container not yet opened.

They literally can and it's how it should be. You can't force a person to work in a workplace they don't want to. For some reason you all seem to think the AFL makes people lose their rights. In every other professional sport in Aus, Henry would have just signed with the cats off the bat. The AFL is making the rules and players are playing by it.

No it isn't. If you allow that to persist then you very quickly create a two-speed economy where the have-nots just end up being the development grounds for the have's when it comes to early draft picks.

If you're going to go down that route of players being allowed to go wherever they want at any time during their career (and let's be honest only a very small fraction of players around the AFL are ever afforded this luxury) then you have to open up the gates for clubs to trade players elsewhere whether it be with the player's blessing or not.

As for the "every other sport in Aus" line - who gives a shit, collectively they're still all an inferior competition (and sport) in comparison to AFL, so what they do has no impact on what the AFL should be doing.

Last edited:
Trades that I would be aiming for with the players that are linked with us

Fremantle wil cough up pick 13 as part of trade for Jackson

swap Grundy our pick 16 plus partial salary payment with Melbourne newly acquired 13 and 27
Henry is a future first , end of. If not, he stays
Mitchell for pick 27 with salary relief

Frampton for pick 51 or,

Crows have a father son that they can select, and will do

not sure what going on with Poulter, but we may be able to swap him with picks 41, 50 and 51 for Frampton and
pick 23

* not sure what the deal is with Fiorini

will give us picks 13, 23 Mitchell, Frampton and keeping Henry if not traded

And he did for the length of that contract... That contract is now at an end and hence why he is refusing to sign another one. He is well within his rights to do so.... Its funny the same posters on BF demanding we get Logan McDonald after 2 years because he was a Collingwood Supporter are now claiming Henry a traitor for doing the same in reverse
I was thinking more about JHF, who wanted to be Pick 1, but doesn't want to see out his contract.

You make a good point regarding #7.

They did gut their 2023 draft hand though (and will need to further do so to get Henry), and Bowes is an average AFL midfielder on big coin, and Henry and Bruhn are flawed blue sky prospects at this stage.

There are many scenarios in which this trade period goes down badly for Geelong in the long run, even if they get #7 and add a quality player to mitigate it.
It always amuses me when clubs are judged to have 'won' the trade period.
How many times did everyone complain or the media announce the Hawks had once again won the trade period when they orchestrated trades for Scully, O'Meara, Paton and Wingard. All were either shiit or very underwhelming. Mitchell is the only player who performed above expectations.

Geelong secuirng Bruhn, a pick 7 and possibly Henry actually means stuff all.
I for one think Bruhn is over-rated. Hemry is still an unknown and that awkward size where he isn't big enough to hold down key position and not quite balanced and quick enough to be anything more than a 3rd marking forward.

This draft doesn't look all that strong. I think we should be able to get in a midfielder and at least 1 potential KPP with our first 2 picks in this draft. I'm just hoping we don't bypass a tall.

If Geelong genuinely wanted Ollie, they would have taken our offer which was more than fair
I suppose we'll see by Wednesday how much they really want him. If they don't pay up, Henry may just think Geelong don't rate him and he doesn't bother with them again.

Offer Geelong a 4th round for his brother and see if he can slot in somewhere. They get to play with eachother in our VFL side until they can earn it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep Cats are the bad guys here although I think most will agree anyone that is so attached to the apron strings is going to struggle big time in the big time.

I’m McLoving this.

1) We thought pick 27 for Grundy was fait accompli, but a better pick from the LJ trade may still come through the door for us

2) Playing hard to get re Mitchell. Our language has been of the “he’s a maybe, we’ll see if we CBF trading for him” which is great. Hawks will want to ditch him and his salary pretty badly esp as he’s not in Mitchell’s rebuild plans. So by Wed they should be happy to take a dud pick for him

3) The fact that we offered only our dud current thirds for Frampton (picks we wouldn’t even use), as opposed to the media previously saying a future 3rd is pretty much done. Like how it says we are looking to use those to bring in an additional future 3rd so we retain one for next year.
I don't think the hawks need to ditch Mitchell's salary. They would have plenty of capacity. They just want draft picks, and his coach showed they are moving on from him by playing him out of his customary position this year. Can't see that changing next year.
I think the Hawks are mad for letting him go, now that Gunston has gone. Their list is very ordinary and their 'leaders' are guys like Sicily and O'Meara. The Hawks are going to be in world of pain for many years. Probably the 'Carlton' of the next decade.

Attached is Henry's Draft Profile. It lists his Areas of Improvement as being Tackling and Defensive Pressure. These deficiencies have been an issue since juniors and are still his issues now. Yet there appears to have been minimal to no improvement in this area. So my question is over what period of time would the club realistically expect to see improvement in this area?

No it isn't. If you allow that to persist then you very quickly create a two-speed economy where the have-nots just end up being the development grounds for the have's when it comes to early draft picks.

If you're going to go down that route of players being allowed to go wherever they want at any time during their career (and let's be honest only a very small fraction of players around the AFL are ever afforded this luxury) then you have to open up the gates for clubs to trade players elsewhere whether it be with the player's blessing or not.

As for the "every other sport in Aus" line - who gives a s**t, collectively they're still all an inferior competition (and sport) in comparison to AFL, so what they do has no impact on what the AFL should be doing.
Other sports matter, because as much as you want to yell and scream, sports have to operate within the labour laws of that country.

The AFL can attempt to change their rules around contract terms for draft picks, and the players association, or any individual player can attempt to challenge the rules in court should they want.

It's funny how much angst their is over Henry but none at all over Chugg and McMahon being delisted which gets to the points. It's not about rules or anything being unfair. It's about being upset 1 player has chosen to leave and trying to blame the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back