List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But we already had a bunch of late picks for points which… are now somewhat redundant given we match using our next pick first… don’t we?

So best outcome is that a bid comes later for Daicos and we keep a few of our current third rounders we had stashed, but lose our 2022 second which is now #22 (2021)? Yuck.

Worst case is that we have to match a bid at #1 but we at least don’t downgrade our 2022 first… hmmmm.

Someone please tell me we haven’t just gone and “protected” 4 x picks in the 40’s and 50’s with a future 2nd?
The next step has to be we trade out 22 prior to the Daicos bid.

IT'S OFFICIAL: PIES, SUNS SWAP PICKS
4:52pm:
Collingwood and Gold Coast have agreed to a host of pick swaps ahead of the 2021 NAB AFL Draft, as reported earlier today by AFL.com.au's Cal Twomey.

The Pies have done the deal so they have enough draft points to secure Josh Daicos.

We finally have the points to pay for Josh Daicos after he has been on our list for 4 years. I knew we were bad at trade week, but I didn't think we were that bad.

Last edited:
Would you rather that or take someone at pick 22?

Not sure why we didn’t just do all the late pick swaps for now.

Then reserve future 2nd for pick 22 once the bid has been made and all the late picks are used up. This allows us to select a top end talent thatjust barely slides out of the first round.

‘Because if we didn’t do it now another club would have before the draft. Suns aren’t going to wait till draft night just to please us and other clubs would be more than willing to access picks the Suns are not going to use this year.

The underlying factor here is to do 2 things - 1. Get enough points for ND - which will 2. protect the 2022 1st rounder (i.e. no deficit).
I think we will trade some players from this year to extra draft capital which will ensure more trades - just need to find the right trading partners.
These are what competent list managers do so it might be new to see this at the Pies.:cool:

Better than that, I think we've got 2,940 points now, a surplus of 540 on pick 1. We have 926 more than we need for pick 2 and 1,153 more than pick 3.

Dang I missed 48! stormskye manics correction means we’d instead have 48, 58, 68 and 79 leftover. If I’ve got it wrong this time I’m not trying again…

They can ask for 22 and next year's first if they like. Feck! They can ask for Grudy, JDG and Moore if they like. Who gives a sh*te what they ask for. The only thing I care about is what they get.

We could always offer them Henry 🤷‍♂️

That’s at AFL level. At SANFL level JT would look as quick as Stengle because of the quality of that league. As you said we see it differently I suppose, but I feel like this was unfortunately a fruitless discussion which we never seem to have so that feels more disappointing than not seeing eye to eye on a guy that’s long odds of joining us.

I think it's more than just the pace of the league with Stengle. His raw pace is much better than JTs and that makes him more AFL relevant to me by comparison. Especially when McRae has hinted there will be a greater focus on our defensive efforts.

Now pace doesn't = good defensive pressure but it helps a lot. Stengle has shown good defensive application in the past coming from Richmonds system. The bigger question is around his body strength and fitness to make those efforts, repeat them and stick tackles. That's something you back your program in to fix for mine.

I actually don't think we're that far off our views. We'd both have Stengle on the list. I think I see Stengle as a good fit in the balance of our forward line which needs a crumber, more pace and more defensive pressure. You're more ambivalent and less optimistic about his ceiling. What do you like about Stengle that you'd have him on the list?

I'll admit I'm not big on JT because his last 3 seasons have been poor. I think he'd go alight in the SANFL because it'd be more forgiving of his weaknesses. I actually think midfield would be his go in that league because he's good in tight and has great hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘Because if we didn’t do it now another club would have before the draft. Suns aren’t going to wait till draft night just to please us and other clubs would be more than willing to access picks the Suns are not going to use this year.
I agree. We got the points required before another club went to GC with a similar proposal.

Great trade. Unfortunately a trade we shouldn’t have had to do but we did and that’s that.

Finishes off the loss-cutting that started last year (arguably before that when we salary dumped Aish). Takes a lot of the risk out by squaring the ledger nice and early. Puts us back in the game to manage our list rationally and without panic.

And the good news is, coming from second last on the ladder, the future picks we traded away can’t get any worse!

The underlying factor here is to do 2 things - 1. Get enough points for ND - which will 2. protect the 2022 1st rounder (i.e. no deficit).
I think we will trade some players from this year to extra draft capital which will ensure more trades - just need to find the right trading partners.
These are what competent list managers do so it might be new to see this at the Pies.:cool:

We now need to add 3.

Trade #22 out for something of equivalent value.

Please explain how it’s not a win
I don’t think it’s a win yet, it will depend on what we do with 22.
To me it gives us a bit flexibility this draft and trade period

I'd be interested in people thoughts on Jared Brander and whether he was worth chasing - too good to not be on an AFL list in my view, and may come cheaply. Not sure what the knocks on him are but there is a lot to like about his size and can play forward or back.

Blues were talking to him but are now likely to land Lewis Young.. so he may still be available as a cheap trade

He’s an athletic KPP that hasn’t nailed down a KPP position at the Eagles - but they are pretty stacked for talent in defence and up front but has racked up big numbers in the WAFL on the wing

I think he’s possibly worth a look given he’s attributes

Others on here will insist we only draft top 20 talls... which ironically he was

How much you wanna bet Bulldogs ask for 22 for Lipinski.
They can ask but they might not receive. They need to be careful as we can grab him in the PSD. They’re going to be trying to get points for Darcy so I’m sure both clubs will came to a good deal in the end

Makes me laugh, traded future first because we didn't need it, club have now traded a stack of future picks to get Daicos.

Welcome the the Graham Wright landscape.

This has his DNA all over it.

It takes us from paupers begging in a doorway to tradesman with services to offer. The first effect is to lift our profile at the trade table and amongst player managers as genuine and serious negotiators.

This is a staging manoeuvre, clearing the path for more serious negotiations and safeguarding our Father/Son choice whilst protecting our first round next year.

More work going on behind the scenes to use that 22 pick is a virtual certainty as we now have options and leverage.

Already in one pick we see the difference between a genuine operator and a learner/driver.

Just so much more professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back