List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade and F/A Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we've had our criteria wrong for KPP. Too high a priority of agility and not high enough priority on contested ability.
It's galling that we picked Stevo, talented but NQR in the head, when we could have picked Collingwood supporter Naughton. Anyway, history now.

I am all for trying to have 2 picks in the 20-45 range this year and then taking Dib with the 4th pick but our future first is untouchable in this scenario
We need to keep this, the Club won’t risk it again anyways, and kids like Sinn have played 5 games in 30 months. Why roll the dice in this scenario when there are a strong batch of talks early next year

Think Kelly has a long way to go just to stay on an AFL list. Struggling in the seconds as a defender, after a few years in the system. Which is his best position imo.
Would love to be wrong, but is projecting more like Brayden Shaw than Heath Shaw atm.
True, most of our non established big men are speculative. One or two making it would be great. I agree kelly isnt installing any great confidence he will be one of them

It's galling that we picked Stevo, talented but NQR in the head, when we could have picked Collingwood supporter Naughton. Anyway, history now.
Stepho's attitude wasn't seen as an issue. Even once on the list, we spoke glowingly about him for two years - even after the gambling fiasco. Naughton was drafted as a full back who could mark but couldn't kick - his development has been amazing. Having predicted Naughton and Stephos development and lack thereof would have been freakish recruiting and not having predicted it shouldn't be viewed as an error. It wasn't bad recruiting, it was the luck that goes with the very nature of picking which 18 year old is going to be the best player. And whilst it isn't currently looking likely, I still wouldn't be majorly surprised if that ends up being Stepho by the end of their careers.

Not losing any sleep.
A 22 year old KPP discarded by West Coast, when two of their KPF are wrong side of 30 next year (Darling 30, Kennedy 35).
Why didn’t they keep him…?
We HD nothing to lose by giving him a year, but you’re right, he’s not worth losing sleep over at this point.

Their salary cap is maxed, they are having one more big tilt at a flag next year, which they won't get. It probably came down to extending a couple of veterans for one more year or start the rebuild next year
How would retaining Brander on minimum chips have affected that in any way?

4 of the 7 were top 20 and splitting hairs between 20 and 25, but yeah let’s say we remove the guys from Whiskeys list we never had access to (all of them) and the 3 guys taken post 20 (despite having access to them and perhaps having them top 10 on our draft board…).

Let’s then say we go at 50% would we or would we not be better off with 2 of Allen, Curnow, McKay or Naughton over Treloar and Stephenson?
Imagine having McKay and Naughton running around in the same forward line…

Stepho's attitude wasn't seen as an issue. Even once on the list, we spoke glowingly about him for two years - even after the gambling fiasco. Naughton was drafted as a full back who could mark but couldn't kick - his development has been amazing. Having predicted Naughton and Stephos development and lack thereof would have been freakish recruiting and not having predicted it shouldn't be viewed as an error. It wasn't bad recruiting, it was the luck that goes with the very nature of picking which 18 year old is going to be the best player. And whilst it isn't currently looking likely, I still wouldn't be majorly surprised if that ends up being Stepho by the end of their careers.
I'm split as what to believe with Stevo. On one hand, his school record was glowing and never got into trouble and the club generally supported him. But as he was a top prospect and rising star this could have been an act/mirror. Him and Buckley didn't gel and I think the leading reason was that he wanted to play as a mid. He saw himself as a mid and not a forward. We played him as a FF, very rarely at HF due to Thomas and WHE which was always going to create tension.

Position: Midfielder/Half-forward - FOX, 2017. Per this: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/8b19499e8ef1b53c67c02b5251a6e3e0.

Draft Central, whilst not revered on this forum did mention he was a forward who transitioned to inside mid.

The recent post on Instagram may be nothing and just friendly but if the opportunity arose, Stevo may come back with no Buckley, to pursue his career surrounded by mates J. Daicos, N. Daicos and the others he left behind.

I'm split as what to believe with Stevo. On one hand, his school record was glowing and never got into trouble and the club generally supported him. But as he was a top prospect and rising star this could have been an act/mirror. Him and Buckley didn't gel and I think the leading reason was that he wanted to play as a mid. He saw himself as a mid and not a forward. We played him as a FF, very rarely at HF due to Thomas and WHE which was always going to create tension.

Position: Midfielder/Half-forward - FOX, 2017. Per this: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...s/news-story/8b19499e8ef1b53c67c02b5251a6e3e0.

Draft Central, whilst not revered on this forum did mention he was a forward who transitioned to inside mid.

The recent post on Instagram may be nothing and just friendly but if the opportunity arose, Stevo may come back with no Buckley, to pursue his career surrounded by mates J. Daicos, N. Daicos and the others he left behind.

There's no coming back. Also, i don't think there was any mention ever of him wanting to play mid while he was carving up the competition as a forward... or of any rift with Buckley throughout his time there? does not ring true

I don't think the reward is anywhere near as great as it used to be with the role becoming as much about creating a contest and bringing it to ground, as it is about clunking marks and kicking goals. Clubs have adjusted though and not very many go in the top 10 anymore, so they're not as expensive at the draft as they used to be
I think the reward is greater since key forwards affect allot more contests now. The reward just isn’t directly linked to them kicking goals. The issue is because of the increased demands for key forward not as many are as good in the role and clubs are starting to realise that.

They traded in Kennedy. Darling went pick 25. Didn't use high picks in the draft to draft their own KPF

That point is somewhat moot when Kennedy was drafted at pick 4 and the Eagles traded Judd for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the reward is greater since key forwards affect allot more contests now. The reward just isn’t directly linked to them kicking goals. The issue is because of the increased demands for key forward not as many are as good in the role and clubs are starting to realise that.
Probably right. I'd also argue that the kpd type has almost reversed where you want your kpd to be really clean skillful and creative, whereas you want competitive nutters up forward.

Probably right. I'd also argue that the kpd type has almost reversed where you want your kpd to be really clean skillful and creative, whereas you want competitive nutters up forward.
I think the same applies to general forwards and backs as well, you want your small forward to be pressure butters whilst your small backs classy rebounders.

I understand where you';re coming from. I just don't think we would take a KF with our first pick. With high picks you need to take sure fire players and unfortunately, Key Forwards always come with an element of risk. I can't help thinking that we have already settled on our Key Forwards going forward. An elite midfielder would be sure bet and as I said before, the midfielders in the top 10 this year will be as good as next years crop and you can get a full years development in them. It's a no brainer for me but some might say I have no brain anyway ;)

I would have to agree. We take the elite explosive mid that hopefully releases players like Dacios and McCrae to deliver inside 50.

I have high hopes for Reef becoming that player given his 20m sprint was quicker than Petracca. Just need to pack on Some weight and admittedly games

I know the idea of tanking isn't one that usually works but one of those years did get us Pendles and Thomas. A year of getting games into the kids. This would be absolute fantasy football stuff with little consideration for salary caps but....

Finish Last = Pick 1
Let Maynard Go = Band 1 Compensation Pick 2.

Use Pick One = B.King
Use Pick Two = L. McDonald or Best Mid

Use Pick One PSD = S. Walsh (impossible) or Lukosicis (slightly less impossible)

We are sorted for KPP for a decade and I wake up from my afternoon dream

I'm leaning towards GC in that we'd have to be a pretty sh*t club if we are locked in to giving Kreuger a game round 1 regardless of how well he and others perform in preseason.
This is pretty much my thinking as well. If we'd recruited a young, developing yet established KPF (like a Ben King or a Larkey), I'd say they'd be a lock for round 1 but we didn't, Kreuger has only played 2 games in the 1sts and both as a defender. Obviously we see potential in him but he has to earn his spot based upon how he performs this pre season.

Working on the assumption that Will Kelly is playing as a fwd at this point (will have to wait until pre season to get his position confirmed), Kelly, Kreuger and Johnson (even McMahon if he shows something) will all be competing for the same spot right now, and whoever performs the best in the pre season will earn their spot in the best 22 come round 1.

This is pretty much my thinking as well. If we'd recruited a young, developing yet established KPF (like a Ben King or a Larkey), I'd say they'd be a lock for round 1 but we didn't, Kreuger has only played 2 games in the 1sts and both as a defender. Obviously we see potential in him but he has to earn his spot based upon how he performs this pre season.

Working on the assumption that Will Kelly is playing as a fwd at this point (will have to wait until pre season to get his position confirmed), Kelly, Kreuger and Johnson (even McMahon if he shows something) will all be competing for the same spot right now, and whoever performs the best in the pre season will earn their spot in the best 22 come round 1.
I'd throw Henry in with that quartet too.

I'm a little bit more bullish on Krueger, I like his highlights and love the size of the bloke as well as being very athletic. A few years ago he lead the whole of Australia in contested marks, I know he was playing in a lesser league but it's something to look forward too

I'm a little bit more bullish on Krueger, I like his highlights and love the size of the bloke as well as being very athletic. A few years ago he lead the whole of Australia in contested marks, I know he was playing in a lesser league but it's something to look forward too
He looks a good prospect. But like everyone except for about a dozen of our blokes who are round 1 locks if fit, he's still got to earn his spot over pre-season.

This quote from Trent Dumont piqued my interest. Could we be one of the clubs chasing him as a DFA given the remark about points? Screenshot_20211026-162613_Chrome.jpg

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back