List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok.
You’re a fool.

Lobb is a peahearted whiner who only plays well in contract years, or in this instance, when he wants a trade to a place he can collect more matchies.

He’s 32 and rising, inconsistent and lackadaisical and 3 out of 3 clubs so far have looked to move him.

We don’t need to provide him with a superannuation tour.
Who else do you suggest we look at that is available?

But on a slightly less emotive and more analytical topic, WTF are we going to do?
  • delist and peel the list right back?
  • trade in what we can and try to somehow snag a flag in 2025 and then fall into the abyss?
  • trade out anyone w value? What does that do to culture and the group?
  • how do we now attract FAs and players wanting to trade in (actually, there’s always players that aren’t getting a game elsewhere that want an opportunity- even if we’ll be down for a while.
Honestly mate I’ve got no idea.

I’m guilty of basking in the sugar rush of adding Schultz last season. I still think he is a good player and it’s not his fault we overpaid on him when he was going to be a free agent this year. As it stands, adding him has had no impact on our fortunes and he could have been added for free this year. We have thrown pick 6 into the abyss.

But I am just a supporter and should be allowed to misread things. The big boys at the club on mega dollars who oversee everything should have had both eyes open and seen that this list was old and could not repeat. The writing was on the wall late in the H&A season. We won a flag bucking every trend that premiership teams follow in footy. How likely were we to repeat? We all thought the club was cooked for many years in 2021. We got two amazing unpredictable years but we are now facing what was expected three years ago.

I don’t think we stand to gain anything by committing to a rebuild this year when we don’t have a first round pick or our own second. We could put a player like De Goey on the table but we would likely receive unders like always. At least one player should be put into retirement and I think that should be Sidebottom.

The glass half full in me believes these three things played a huge part in our fall.
  1. Murphy and McStay missing the year as key bookends
  2. The shortest pre season for a premiership side in recent memory
  3. A comically bad injury run where players were forced back too soon to cover other injuries. No key player who has had an injury has returned to play near their best footy.
Our likely 13th or 14th place finish should result in a much friendlier fixture next year. And next year is a clean slate for every injury riddled player.

Despite winning a premiership, having a popular coach and the best young player in the league, being a destination club will continue to elude Collingwood. Why would a player like Josh Battle come to us now when he can go to Hawthorn? Our club’s tactic is to play the free agent market but we are no longer an attractive destination.

How can we afford to even trade in other club’s B or C grade players (Berry, Phillips etc) without jeopardising our small draft hand?

It’s going to be a disappointing few years unfortunately.

Last edited:

But I am just a supporter and should be allowed to misread things. The big boys at the club on mega dollars who oversee everything should have had both eyes open and seen that this list was old and could not repeat. The writing was on the wall late in the H&A season. We won a flag bucking every trend that premiership teams follow in footy. How likely were we to repeat? We all thought the club was cooked for many years in 2021. We got two amazing unpredictable years but we are now facing what was expected three years ago.
I was just on Nick’s BB and a poster over there had a version of the Wright resignation that I hadn’t heard before
So, before being flamed (and this is how rumours spread so I should know better) this is not my take on it

Story goes that Wright said to board that they needed to learn from his Hawthorn years and not get caught up in premiership/ attachment to aging stars
We needed to turn list over and refresh
When that wasn’t received in the way he wished, he offered resignation.

Where is the truth?
It doesn’t really matter.
What does matter is that those in charge read both the drafting / recruiting and list needs in a way that has now lead (along w other factors) to where we are now

I hope we get creative and clever over the off season
I hope we start to be more reasoned and previous with our 1st rounders, particularly our F1s, in trades

just my opinion, but I hope we don’t chase players like Houston and focus on bringing in picks and (young) low-cost, high-upside recruits, DFAs and FAs.

You won't be flamed by me. Noble definitely yes and maybe McCreery would help get Houston.

I think what you currently see with Noble is what you will get in the future. I don't see much upside. But given he was a mid season selection he has done better than expected.

McCreery pressure game is good but hasn't really taken the next step. He definitely would have currency.
Isn't this McCreerys first year of an extended run through the middle? I'd give him time. Look at other mids being in the guts for longer and not having a breakout for a few years. He'll get there. IF he wanted to go back home then fair enough but no to throwing him under the bus. A mid bull he will be with speed. He's a gift!

De Goey must be traded

He’s 28 years old and we can’t keep waiting until retirement for the miracle combination of
1. He stays fit
2. He cares enough
To actually get a great season out of him

Must get back into the draft and we’re not losing much by trading him
Why people like you are determined to tank is a real head scratcher. Tanking does not work and we won't be doing it, end of story so put your fantasy football dunce hat on and go sit in the corner.

I was just on Nick’s BB and a poster over there had a version of the Wright resignation that I hadn’t heard before
So, before being flamed (and this is how rumours spread so I should know better) this is not my take on it

Story goes that Wright said to board that they needed to learn from his Hawthorn years and not get caught up in premiership/ attachment to aging stars
We needed to turn list over and refresh
When that wasn’t received in the way he wished, he offered resignation.

Where is the truth?
It doesn’t really matter.
What does matter is that those in charge read both the drafting / recruiting and list needs in a way that has now lead (along w other factors) to where we are now

I hope we get creative and clever over the off season
I hope we start to be more reasoned and previous with our 1st rounders, particularly our F1s, in trades

just my opinion, but I hope we don’t chase players like Houston and focus on bringing in picks and (young) low-cost, high-upside recruits, DFAs and FAs.
That version sounds like it came from Pinocchio.

Why would we need to trade Schultz, isn’t he our 2nd leading goal kicker this year?
He's one of the few I can think of who has currency , he's in a position we are stocked in and can be traded to fill a need. Draft picks/mids
Depends the direction list management go I suppose. Still have 5 games to go to see how things play out. It's a season of momentum make the call end of the year

Our list managers have their work cut out for them over the next few years.

Imo the following players will either retire or be delisted in the next 3 years on top of Murphy and Carmichael who are already gone

• Pendles
  • Sidebottom
  • Cox
  • Mitchell
  • Howe
  • Johnson
  • Elliott
  • Hoskin- Elliott
  • Mihocek
  • Bytel/ Long/ Sullivan/ Macrae (at least 2 will be gone, possibly all 4)
  • Begg

+ question marks over Ryan, McInnes, Allan, Markov and Dean

That is a lot of players that we need to replace

We need to hit the draft but without a first round pick this year it's going to be tough.

We can't keep trading away first rounders so we need to utilise free agency and trade in some players on the cheap (ala Hill, Lipinski, Cameron) to fill the rest of the gaps.

Isn't this McCreerys first year of an extended run through the middle? I'd give him time. Look at other mids being in the guts for longer and not having a breakout for a few years. He'll get there. IF he wanted to go back home then fair enough but no to throwing him under the bus. A mid bull he will be with speed. He's a gift!
Yep - Id be putting McCreery in the guts for all of 2025

Giving up future picks, which may have great currency, should be reserved for trades involving an all australian level talent imo
Yep. And when we did the first time, we gave up what became pick 2 for pick 30 and 31 in a draft, both of whom we delisted after 2 years - the minimum time on the list.

I agree. He’s a keeper. Youth is on his side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that now, more than ever, the saying about things not being as good or bad as they actually are should be front and centre for everyone involved, including supporters.

Rather than speculating, it’s important for everyone to approach this next transition on an entirely objective, dispassionate, factual basis. The facts as I see them are:

1. We have a coach who in 3 seasons has finished 3rd, 1st and will miss now miss the top 4, possibly finals, this year. All this on the back of a club who finished 17th in 2021.

2. The list is ageing, however we have a core of players who have proven themselves to be capable at AFL level. Players who are 25 or under include Jaicos, Richards, Quaynor, Hill, McCreery, Naicos, Harrison, Lipinski, Dean, Kreuger. That’s 10 players who, while not all stars, know what it takes to play regularly at AFL level.

3. With an ageing list and impending retirements comes cap space and opportunity for both recently drafted players and potential acquisitions. As some have noted, 2 good midfielders and a healthier JDG and Mitchell transforms our midfield - those who take a glass half empty approach or just want to pot the club will hypothesise and presume that we’re not a ‘destination club’, while those who are glass half full will see the opportunity granted by increased cap space.

4. The injuries this season have been on a scale that no club in recent memory, other than maybe West Coast, has had to endure. It’s unlikely that we’ll suffer the same injuries next season. Take comfort too that we won a number of games despite those injuries which to me suggests that our reserves are capable, at least for periods of the season.

5. We’re not locked into the same gameplan that has served us so well for the last 3 years. It’s rare that a coach wins a flag in their second season, however McRae accomplished that feat.

6. Irrespective of your view on our trading and drafting, this off season presents a new opportunity. The club is not constrained by history, so it’s a watch and see on the trading/drafting front. All was supposedly lost under Guy, but the club pivoted and made some tough calls.

Yesterday’s result should be the wake up call. How we react as a club and supporters is what counts now. If we spiral, so be it; footy’s cyclical and we’ve ridden the wave for awhile now. The tools however are largely there for a renaissance, so it’s not a fait accompli that we will spiral.

De Goey must be traded

He’s 28 years old and we can’t keep waiting until retirement for the miracle combination of
1. He stays fit
2. He cares enough

Seriously, why would any self respecting player choose Collingwood over another club after seeing the Ginnivan treatment?

Most hated player in the game by media and fans. Spotlight on him every week. He gets traded after he misbehaves and nearly costs the club a premiership on the eve of the game. Makes a mockery of his coach who trusted him with a grand final spot at the expense of a 70% Taylor Adams.

He carries in like a pork chop at his new club the same way he did with us and he is now everybody’s favourite non-Pies player.

Several of us made the astute prediction that he would become a favourite after leaving the club.

Collingwood tax is real. We do not win battles for rival players. Only players we acquire we either overpay in salary, or no other club was making a move for them.
The Ginnivan treatment? The player group got tired of him being a knob so the club moved him on. And the way he carried on yesterday proves how immature he still is, played great but he's still an infact child and that act wears thin.

I expect we will see a number of high draft picks come our way over the next 5 years. Our older players will fall away quickly now and there seems to be precious little to replace them with.

De Goey must be traded

1. He stays fit
2. He cares enough

Honestly been starting to think similarly re how to get trade currency if the call was made to rebuild.

If that happens the club is definitely in rebuild phase.

If they are thinking 1 more then you wouldn't entertain it.

I expect we will see a number of high draft picks come our way over the next 5 years. Our older players will fall away quickly now and there seems to be precious little to replace them with.
Not a great time to bottom out with Tassie coming into the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back