List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hawks trade period last year of Chol, D'Ambrosio and Ginnivan for about a future second round pick is stupidly good and has changed the club's fortunes. You'd kill to have a period like that

Unless they win the flag from here it's not as good as adding a Norm Smith medalist, a former Brownlow medalist, a key forward who contributed matching winning goals in 2 finals and a blue collar KPP who filled holes all across the ground during the season.

Unless they win the flag from here it's not as good as adding a Norm Smith medalist, a former Brownlow medalist, a key forward who contributed matching winning goals in 2 finals and a blue collar KPP who filled holes all across the ground during the season.
Fair response

If it’s a formula why haven’t other teams adopted it?
It's not a recipe like chicken curry or spaghetti bolognese that can be fairly easily copied - note some people can't even copy a recipe..

Football clubs are human systems with all their human variables...

Some clubs manage to have sustained periods of success because they get more right than wrong in all the factors that go to constitute sporting success in a competitive environment

The Hawks trade period last year of Chol, D'Ambrosio and Ginnivan for about a future second round pick is stupidly good and has changed the club's fortunes. You'd kill to have a period like that
That would be a future first and probably 2 second rounders for us, clubs always fleece us.

It's not a recipe like chicken curry or spaghetti bolognese that can be fairly easily copied - note some people can't even copy a recipe..

Some clubs manage to have sustained periods of success because they get more right than wrong in all the factors that go to constitute sporting success in a competitive environment
But it’s not reproducible and just luck IMO.
Think of all the variables that impact success.
-Coach
Assistants
List managers
Recruiting
On field talent
Player development
Game plan
High performance and fitness management
Rehab and injury management.

Failure in a few areas and success is compromised.
These areas were well managed by us since the appointment of Fly, giving us a PF and Flag. Then unforeseen injuries completely derailed 2023.

I don’t agree that Hawks performance since in the last 50 years is an example of sustained success - it’s more periodic success, when they got most of the above variables right.

Last edited:
But it’s not reproducible and just luck IMO.
Think of all the variables that impact success.
-Coach
Assistants
List managers
Recruiting
On field talent
Player development
Game plan
High performance and fitness management
Rehab and injury management.

Failure in any a few areas and success is compromised.
These areas were well managed by us since the appointment of Fly, giving us a PF and Flag. Then unforeseen injuries completely derailed 2023.

I don’t agree that Hawks performance since in the last 50 years is an example of sustained success - it’s more periodic success, when they got most of the above variable right.
Luck? To quote Gary Player "the harder I work the luckier I get"

I can tell you from the 50's Demons sides to Tommy Hafey's Tigers in the 60's and 70's, the Hawks in the 80's and Brissy in the early 2000's, the Hawks and Cats and even the latest Richmond trio sides that had sustained success also had uncanny luck with injuries to key players.

We've never been that lucky, in 1991 half the side missed the preseason by celebrating too much and then Millane died the year later. In 2011 we lost 2 players in preseason to knee injuries, and this year well the less said about injuries the better. Trust us to win a flag before the concussion retirement scheme comes into play.

To have sustained success and win b2b you've got to be incredibly lucky with your key players not getting injured.

Thomas Jefferson.

Player stole it. Gary also claims the record for having shot his age and having travelled more miles in a plane more than anyone in the world. International pilots might dispute the latter.
Thanks for the correction 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can tell you from the 50's Demons sides to Tommy Hafey's Tigers in the 60's and 70's, the Hawks in the 80's and Brissy in the early 2000's, the Hawks and Cats and even the latest Richmond trio sides that had sustained success also had uncanny luck with injuries to key players.

We've never been that lucky, in 1991 half the side missed the preseason by celebrating too much and then Millane died the year later. In 2011 we lost 2 players in preseason to knee injuries, and this year well the less said about injuries the better. Trust us to win a flag before the concussion retirement scheme comes into play.

To have sustained success and win b2b you've got to be incredibly lucky with your key players not getting injured.
Agree we were lucky with injury in 2010 - can't believe that Hawthorn's sustained success was solely due to luck

Agree we were lucky with injury in 2010 - can't believe that Hawthorn's sustained success was solely due to luck

They kept their best players on the field. Matthews, Brereton, Ayres, Mew, Dunstall didn't miss many finals due to injury did they? And the 2013-15 team had Cyril, Buddy or Roughie (or both), Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis....where were the injuries till Buddy left and Rough got sick?

I’d give this year’s first and next year’s for Cadman

However, I think we have time now to develop KPP so there might be more value in draft some young KPP for both ends if it were cheaper

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back