List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

McInnes would go for a late 2nd, Macrae definitely a 3rd rounder...
I think that is way overs. Macrae is well outside our best 22 now heading into his 5th season. If we had not given him a contract for 2025 he would likely be a delist at seasons end.

Reef has been a little better, but a pick 25 who has never settled into senior footy might be worth a token pick around 50+ or go as a UFA.

Didn’t they change the rules about coaching payouts? It’d still be a decent payout, just thought they’d introduced mechanisms to restrict it.
Think there was an old rule on payouts being limited to 6 months max but that was only for clubs reliant on AFL funding. Think the current rules allow for negotiation payouts into contracts up to 12 months without afl approval, but if beyond 12, it needs approval from the Big House.

Think Goodwin did his extension at the start of 23 - not sure either of the above would apply to him.

Yes and we're too slow. Transition has been a bigger issue than stoppage this year in both directions.

I agree with you on Adams' and depth, but the beauty of him last year was that he performed as a half forward. Would Macrae or Mitchell?

Getting Macrae as depth improves the list, but realistically Macrae isn't moving to be depth.

Port and Carlton are the only relevant teams at the moment playing multiple plodders in their midfield. It's hurt Carlton. Let's see how Port go in the finals. If they don't get exposed - fair enough, but I think it's likely that they will.
I think the better and more realistic option if we're looking to bolster our midfield depth would be Parker from Sydney.

Macrae is contracted until 2027, so arguably could bide his time. Parker is a year older but only has a year left on his contract, so he would need to make the call between staying at Sydney and not being a guaranteed starter with the risk that his contract isn't renewed, or signing a one-year deal with a team like us where he's more likely to get a game.

Any one-year deal could include a trigger for a second season based on games played.

Yes and we're too slow. Transition has been a bigger issue than stoppage this year in both directions.

I agree with you on Adams' and depth, but the beauty of him last year was that he performed as a half forward. Would Macrae or Mitchell?

Getting Macrae as depth improves the list, but realistically Macrae isn't moving to be depth.

Port and Carlton are the only relevant teams at the moment playing multiple plodders in their midfield. It's hurt Carlton. Let's see how Port go in the finals. If they don't get exposed - fair enough, but I think it's likely that they will.
Do Port have plodders in the midfield? JHF, Butter, Rozee seem quick to me.

https://www.zerohanger.com/carlton-...oalkicking-crown-ahead-of-final-round-153946/

Another strange case in our list management strategy. We cut a project tall in McMahon after just two years when he was always going to take longer to develop but then later prioritise SSP signings like Eyre who was just picked later in the same draft and is performing at a worse level in the VFL so no closer to helping us contend now. Similarly, now giving opportunities to Bytel in the seniors when he's just a softer version of Poulter with a worse kick.

Under McCrae, we've been surprisingly poor at developing our young draftees. Basically no one has been given enough of an opportunity apart from Naicos who was a no brainer and McCreery. Instead we're now way overindexed on SSP list cloggers.
How do draftees break into a team that’s performing so well, with PF and Flag in successive years? By definition this high level of performance of the best 22, meant breaking in for a draftee was impossible.
For every McMahon and Poulter there are far far more where delisting was the correct decision.
In fact I think you are grossly over estimating what each of them will achieve.

I think the better and more realistic option if we're looking to bolster our midfield depth would be Parker from Sydney.

Macrae is contracted until 2027, so arguably could bide his time. Parker is a year older but only has a year left on his contract, so he would need to make the call between staying at Sydney and not being a guaranteed starter with the risk that his contract isn't renewed, or signing a one-year deal with a team like us where he's more likely to get a game.

Any one-year deal could include a trigger for a second season based on games played.
I still think we could do worse than pick up Matt Kennedy. He shouldn't cost much and will be an imporvement.
To me McInness isn't a forward. I don't think I've ever seen him take a clean mark. Always bounces off his hands.

I think we should be playing him up the ground or half back for the final 2 games (ideally we should have given him 4 or 5 games up the field). If he shows nothing, then let's walk him out the door. But before doing that, I'd like to see us try playing him in a different position. He seems more comfortable when the ball hits the ground and he has some pace.

If I have a criticism of our coaches it is that we don't seem to try the kids in different roles. Also, they tend to spend alot of time as subs giving them less than 1 quarter to prove themselves. Or, maybe the coaches know they just aren't up to it.

IF we got Bergman that would open the door for Noble to be traded out....
Whilst I'm not the biggest Noble fanatic - I think he's a solid player nothing more, nothing less; I do find it interesting that we are 0-3 in games he's missed this year.

How do draftees break into a team that’s performing so well, with PF and Flag in successive years? By definition this high level of performance of the best 22, meant breaking in for a draftee was impossible.
For every McMahon and Poulter there are far far more where delisting was the correct decision.
In fact I think you are grossly over estimating what each of them will achieve.
Eeyores like this one are best kept on ignore spinny. It makes the forum much more enjoyable reading

If Petracca wanting to come to us is legit, I would even consider trading an aging Mihocek, Richards and future first.
I know he is heart and soul but is possibly all we have that saves face for Melbourne
McStay, Reef, cox and Krueger with smit and steene developing and possibly sending Moore to forward/ruck if we get Keane could work

If Petracca wanting to come to us is legit, I would even consider trading an aging Mihocek, Richards and future first.
I know he is heart and soul but is possibly all we have that saves face for Melbourne
McStay, Reef, cox and Krueger with smit and steene developing and possibly sending Moore to forward/ruck if we get Keane could work
They'd want a lot more than Checkers, a future first and Richards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think we could do worse than pick up Matt Kennedy. He shouldn't cost much and will be an imporvement.
To me McInness isn't a forward. I don't think I've ever seen him take a clean mark. Always bounces off his hands.

I think we should be playing him up the ground or half back for the final 2 games (ideally we should have given him 4 or 5 games up the field). If he shows nothing, then let's walk him out the door. But before doing that, I'd like to see us try playing him in a different position. He seems more comfortable when the ball hits the ground and he has some pace.

If I have a criticism of our coaches it is that we don't seem to try the kids in different roles. Also, they tend to spend alot of time as subs giving them less than 1 quarter to prove themselves. Or, maybe the coaches know they just aren't up to it.
Yeh, I wouldn't object to us picking up Matt Kennedy, although who knows what his price would be and whether we would have to pay a Pie tax given he plays for Carlton.

My post was more in reference to Macrae, who's only a year younger than Parker.

In terms of our coaches it's difficult without knowing what their endurance levels are like to know why the coaches play some kids as subs. Assuming that it's an endurance issue, you could always pick a more experienced player as sub and then sub them on when the younger player tires, however this probably gives you less flexibility in the event there's an injury to another player.

There's a lot of talk around Reef as he's out of contract at the end of this season. Perhaps the club is willing to see what the market is like for him first knowing that we can match any offer if we choose to. Or perhaps the club is attempting to keep multiple balls in the air which are dependent on not only players already at the club, but potential acquisitions.

For what it's worth I'd like to see them persist with Reef.

I think there’s a good chance McCreery transitions to midfield next year. N.Daicos, Crisp, DeGoey, McCreery is a pretty good inside/outside combo and not slow. Supplemented by Pendles, Mitchell etc and gaining someone like Smith or similar would be a pretty decent midfield.
The issue was that our pacey midfielders lacked defensive traits and our defensive mids lacked pace.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think we are any chance of snagging Petracca, which is a shame because he is a champ. But I wouldn't be discounting the challenge he has ahead of him to get back to full fitness. He has not been able to exert himself for months. Has lost a decent amount of muscle mass and undoubtedly a lot of conditioning.

He will surely get both back and he looks the type who can stack on muscle by looking at a dumbbell - but it is not an insignificant challenge ahead of him.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back