List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say their recruitment has more to do with it than Scott. Plucking players like Dempsey and humphries from nowhere is their strength.
Can’t agree - they are peripheral to the longevity to his success - excellent player manager, tactician and game day Coach.
And I actually don’t really like the bloke, but nonetheless respect him.
But massive HGA helps his record.

Last edited:
Same number of flags between 2010-2023.
They have a win rate at GMHBA over 80% which gives them a walk up start to finals every year.
We won a flag based on great recruitment which was lauded.

For me they one have ONE insurmountable advantage which is nonetheless irksome - Scott has proven to be a genius in how he’s managed a group who’ve been over the hill for 5 years.

I think Scott has been the reason they haven’t won more flags. 2019-2021 they had a great list finishing top 4 year after year but their game style (Scott’s fault) didn’t stand up in finals. 2022 they finally changed to quicker ball movement with less stop start short kicking and they won the flag.

Their recruiting is miles ahead of everyone. The best coach is often the guy with the best list.

Can’t agree they are peripheral to the longevity to his success - excellent player manager, tactician and game day Coach.
And I actually don’t really like the bloke, but nonetheless respect him.
But massive HGA helps his record.
Yes, HGA is huge. It's when you see players like Neale, humphries, Dempsey and Mannah, it has to be given credence. SM was there for everyone to see, his past 2 years in the VFL have been extraordinary. It's also how they develop these kids that's impressive.

I agree we have not been great with our selections.

But Geelong get an easy ride from the media can also be true.

You have to ask yourself why collingwood gets a hard ride from the media. Is it the name? Is it their location at the MCG? Is it their president or their coach?....

well maybe eddie drew a lot of attention but who voted him in?

the media baits pie supporters and they take the bait. Just listen to SEN the morning after something happens in Pieland. Just listen to how the Cornes etc speak about how Pie supporters phone in to be rabid.

I lived in geelong many years ago for a short time. It's very cultured at the footy. It's hard to bait cultured folk.

I think Scott has been the reason they haven’t won more flags. 2019-2021 they had a great list but their game style (Scott’s fault) didn’t stand up in finals. 2022 they finally changed to quicker ball movement with less stop start short kicking and they won the flag.

Their recruiting is miles ahead of everyone. The best coach is often the guy with the best list.
Not sure I can agree their recruiting is miles ahead - we had the Hine debate months ago in this context. Recency bias with Dempsey and Humphries, is not enough in my view.
We even discussed their kids in the Hine debate and their kids are not miles ahead or ours.
Agree Scott underperformed when their finals LOSS rate was 75%, but his last 4 years have been very good with such an old list- not sure another Coach could have succeeded as he has with that list profile.

Yes, HGA is huge. It's when you see players like Neale, humphries, Dempsey and Mannah, it has to be given credence. SM was there for everyone to see, his past 2 years in the VFL have been extraordinary. It's also how they develop these kids that's impressive.
They're awesome off-field.

Whilst they have some geographical advantages they've milked. They also are disadvantaged in that they're always good and thus never get high picks, yet just find and develop guns. And then are always really well coached - looking like a unit with a plan.

**** I hate the resurgence of Hawks and the surgence of the cats.

What does everyone think of Mitch Knivett from the cats playing well in the VFL today
big body and a in front of him in their midfield
Only played the 10 games but a lot of those has been as the sub

They're awesome off-field.

Whilst they have some geographical advantages they've milked. They also are disadvantaged in that they're always good and thus never get high picks, yet just find and develop guns. And then are always really well coached - looking like a unit with a plan.

**** I hate the resurgence of Hawks and the surgence of the cats.
An article in today's Geelong Advertiser about how half of their team were Pick 30 & above

What does everyone think of Mitch Knivett from the cats playing well in the VFL today
big body and a in front of him in their midfield
Only played the 10 games but a lot of those has been as the sub
Mate, I’ll take anyone who gets us back to where we should be
If he helps, bring him in
If he clogs a spot as another NQR, then forget it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to ask yourself why collingwood gets a hard ride from the media. Is it the name? Is it their location at the MCG? Is it their president or their coach?....

well maybe eddie drew a lot of attention but who voted him in?

the media baits pie supporters and they take the bait. Just listen to SEN the morning after something happens in Pieland. Just listen to how the Cornes etc speak about how Pie supporters phone in to be rabid.

I lived in geelong many years ago for a short time. It's very cultured at the footy. It's hard to bait cultured folk.

It's just a fact of life - just like in baseball the Yankees are the evil empire.

Too many of the people in the football media bring their bias with them. Unprofessional.

So you are the outlier Collingwood supporter? You should have been a Geelong supporter?

Not sure I can agree their recruiting is miles ahead - we had the Hine debate months ago in this context. Recency bias with Dempsey and Humphries, is not enough in my view.
We even discussed their kids in the Hine debate and their kids are not miles ahead or ours.
Agree Scott underperformed when their finals LOSS rate was 75%, but his last 4 years have been very good with such an old list- not sure another Coach could have succeeded as he has with that list profile.
There is this bloke who people call Fly. Coaches this club called Collingwood.

It's just a fact of life - just like in baseball the Yankees are the evil empire.

Too many of the people in the football media bring their bias with them. Unprofessional.

So you are the outlier Collingwood supporter? You should have been a Geelong supporter?

no i was collingwood before i went down there. my father wanted to go to the footy so we sat on the members side and had tea and bickies. The only thing that i remember was we lost on the occasion the pies came down the highway...

you miss my point about the evil empire.....they bait....we respond with clicks....they get more money.....

break the chain..

no i was collingwood before i went down there. my father wanted to go to the footy so we sat on the members side and had tea and bickies. The only thing that i remember was we lost on the occasion the pies came down the highway...

you miss my point about the evil empire.....they bait....we respond with clicks....they get more money.....

break the chain..

Been twice for Pies games at Kardinia Park - we lost both.

Take the two major fan incidents this year.

Justin (who is from the Geelong area) was splashed across the media, interviewed and you would think he committed a terrible crime. Collingwood supporters (who had nothing to do with the incident) photos are splashed in the paper with articles.

Carlton supporter hits a a goal umpire with a plastic bottle and the umpire leaves the field with blood. Barely a word about the alleged person? No footage of the incident shown?

Most of the AFL media and AFL execs appear to be horrible people.

How many of us have played with or against an AFL footballer? The guys that go outside the top 10-15 when it becomes about vibe are like gods compared to us mere mortals. Given how insanely talented the vast majority of these guys are it largely doesn’t matter what your rating system looks like. It all boils down to coachability and opportunity.

At best we could hope for marginal gains if an area for improvement is identified.
Its an interesting thought but I see it a little different. I think its the guns of the AFL comp who are insanely talented and god like. When you come down to the average run of the mill players they are top shelf but they are not a lot different to the best in your local high level leagues.

We had David Parkin come down to address us one night back in the 80's and he touched on the topic when he was asked what seperated the VFL (at the time) players from our league. His reply. Forget about the top guys, the Abletss, Watsons etc they are just way above you, talent on a different level. But the difference between the average player he was coachig and the best players in our comp was marginal at best. He said mostly they are not faster, they don't kick it better, they don't mark it better etc etc. The big difference is they want it more than your best players and will do the work to make it happen.

Kinda makes sense if you think of god given talent as a pyramid. Thos on top are in rare air but as you go down just a bit the number of people with the same talent grows exponentially. You see it when ex AFL come bakc to high level local footy, they play well but they have to work to do that and they dont just stroll around doing as they like.

I got dropped from Old Xavs 2s so the younger brother of one of our best players could be given a game. And he hadn’t even trained.

F U James McDonald.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
You sure that was the reason?

Its an interesting thought but I see it a little different. I think its the guns of the AFL comp who are insanely talented and god like. When you come down to the average run of the mill players they are top shelf but they are not a lot different to the best in your local high level leagues.

We had David Parkin come down to address us one night back in the 80's and he touched on the topic when he was asked what seperated the VFL (at the time) players from our league. His reply. Forget about the top guys, the Abletss, Watsons etc they are just way above you, talent on a different level. But the difference between the average player he was coachig and the best players in our comp was marginal at best. He said mostly they are not faster, they don't kick it better, they don't mark it better etc etc. The big difference is they want it more than your best players and will do the work to make it happen.

Kinda makes sense if you think of god given talent as a pyramid. Thos on top are in rare air but as you go down just a bit the number of people with the same talent grows exponentially. You see it when ex AFL come bakc to high level local footy, they play well but they have to work to do that and they dont just stroll around doing as they like.

You need to retire that Parkin story. No, you couldn’t have been a contender.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Been twice for Pies games at Kardinia Park - we lost both.

Take the two major fan incidents this year.

Justin (who is from the Geelong area) was splashed across the media, interviewed and you would think he committed a terrible crime. Collingwood supporters (who had nothing to do with the incident) photos are splashed in the paper with articles.

Carlton supporter hits a a goal umpire with a plastic bottle and the umpire leaves the field with blood. Barely a word about the alleged person? No footage of the incident shown?

Most of the AFL media and AFL execs appear to be horrible people.

well i dont know about either incident. I dont bother. I dont watch the interviews. I dont give the journalists money. They'll learn pretty quick. If you ignore them, they will go and try to feast on another club.

in fact, i'm part of the problem posting here in bf. The bloke who owns it gets money from my free posting and yours. But the problem with the Pies is that there are so many who want to phone SEN and argue with them on a monday morning. The money bells ring and cornes and king and the rest see dollar signs in their eyes.....money for old rope

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back