List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Developing or off the shelf.

Kpds are a dime a dozen . Kpfs not so easy to find however they are going out of fashion fast.
Intercepting and disrupting KPDs are gold. Mark and kick forwards arent as effective as they used to be, but you need ones who offer a contest and bring it to ground at the least and those with a ground level game to go wth it are enormous value.

If we had an injury run like 2023 we would still be in the finals imo. 2024 was more of an on field disaster with injuries and a few close losses/draws that we shouldn't have had rather than the off field stuff.
Of course.
Missing finals this season was much more about injuries than anything to do with Wright (who’d just help deliver a flag to the club).

I don't think Stephenson's body was ever going to allow him to be the player we wanted him to become.

Once teams put time into him physically and stopped the out the back goals his trick was found out.

I thought the issue was playing him out of position. He was a really good forward, especially out of the goal square as no one could keep up with him.

It was when he start playing more midfield and wing that he was found out. Everyone has this idea everyone needs to play multiple positions. If someone is really good at one position, why not play them there. Even North are playing him midfield instead of forward. In theory you’d think he’d be a really good winger, but he’s not.

Even after his first year I thought we should’ve gone for Naughton as it was more of a need.

Last edited:
If we had an injury run like 2023 we would still be in the finals imo. 2024 was more of an on field disaster with injuries and a few close losses/draws that we shouldn't have had rather than the off field stuff.
We still won our fair share of close games, just lost a couple unlike 22 and 23 where we’d never lose them.

It was just injuries, too many around the middle of the season, especially in the forward line. We managed to keep winning then but took a toll by rd14-20. Then we got a couple players back and looked alright for the last couple rounds.

We still won our fair share of close games, just lost a couple unlike 22 and 23 where we’d never lose them.

It was just injuries, too many around the middle of the season, especially in the forward line. We managed to keep winning then but took a toll by rd14-20. Then we got a couple players back and looked alright for the last couple rounds.
Agree to some extent. But we should have won that Freo game and that Sydney game. Sure we won a few close ones but those two I felt should have gone our way. But yeah mostly injuries was a cause.

Geelong are sponsored by Cotton On. Bailey Smith already gets paid by Cotton On to advertise their business. The family that owns Cotton On are Geelong supporters. It's not hard to do the math.

Speaking of math does the AFL have the power to scrutinise the personal contract Smith has with them?

Cotton On isn’t exactly flush with cash at the moment. I can assure you of that. So I don’t think there’s any dodgyness to the deal he has with them.

In fact from what I know he is really involved and engaged, right down to product design. It’s definitely not a Visy Judd type arrangement.

Trade might not happen

Reports are we want pick 20 or a package as good or better.

Lukosious and Davies are off the table now (not that I would've wanted either)

Don't think GC would want to give up pick 20 for Noble when they'll be giving up 1 or 2 first rounders for Rioli. Plus they have Lombard coming in this draft high up

Ultimately if Fly is to be trusted, which I think he should be, John told him it isn't a necessary trade if it doesn't satisfy the club, and that we won't make it happen if it doesn't suit us anyway.

There's also been almost zero talk about it since this surfaced publicly. Considering both clubs are also not playing finals, I'd think this is an indication that not alot is going on with it.

On SM-A146P using BigFooty.com mobile app
They won't be quibbling over picks
They don't need more youngsters
They need proven older players that can lead
In fact I wouldn't be surprised if we get pick 20 plus a sweetener

I'd say that the main difference is that Freo traded most of those players when they were coming into their prime and the club didn't want to lose them. As evidenced by the Freo list going on to be best 22 at their next clubs, not to mention the several AA's, Brownlow's, Coleman medal etc. The only player that we didn't want to go was Henry.

Half of that Collingwood list wouldn't get a game with us at full strength, yet we always think other clubs should pay more for players that we don't even want.

I mean, they even threw Poulter on there like he was one who got away!
Yep, you’re right. Freo have quite a few.

Never implied Poulter was the “one who got away”
Just a simple list of ex pies players currently on another clubs list.

They all left for different reasons. Sometimes those reasons don’t give them much trade value. Plus I do think we’ve generally been too soft when trading out guys to just “get the deal done”

Most would agree we’ve paid overs to get guys in for a long, long time now.

Thanks for your input. You gave my comment some legs. Cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cotton On isn’t exactly flush with cash at the moment. I can assure you of that. So I don’t think there’s any dodgyness to the deal he has with them.

In fact from what I know he is really involved and engaged, right down to product design. It’s definitely not a Visy Judd type arrangement.
Cotton on has a winery, Austin’s, with dozens of acres of Pinot for industry sale just as a hobby.
There’s no shortage of notes folding in that manor.

Cotton on has a winery, Austin’s, with dozens of acres of Pinot for industry sale just as a hobby.
There’s no shortage of notes folding in that manor.

Cotton On doesn’t have a winery. Scott Austin, the principal Owner of Cotton On’s relative (cousin I think) has a winery. And I wouldn’t call Austin’s, or moreso 6ft6, a hobby…

Sure Cotton On is privately owned, so the distinction is blurry. But the point I was trying to make is that Cotton On, can’t afford to waste money. Heck it scrapped it’s annual Staff Christmas Party and heaps of other normal business expenses.

So unless Nigel is paying Bailey out of his own pockets, which would be bizarre, I’d say the deal is likely pretty fair and at arms length.

The flaw being needing to win three on the trot to make the winnable GF. First final in Brisbane. Semi in Sydney. Prelim in Adelaide.
Giants nearly achieved that last year.

Pies travel well. It’s something we can only imagine now but we definitely would have done better than the Dogs and Blues last weekend.

Giants nearly achieved that last year.

Pies travel well. It’s something we can only imagine now but we definitely would have done better than the Dogs and Blues last weekend.
Whatever. After 23 matches, with all the inherent swings and roundabouts, CFC finished ninth. A more proficient side will be claiming the mantle of being the premier side in 2024.

Just spitballing ideas…

Wonder if Noble, 48 and 50 would get us Pick 20 from Gold Coast? Maybe pick 37 from Port for Richards?

I’d be pretty content in a deep draft going in with 20, 26, 37.

Or even try to get the Richards pick done first and bundle up 37, 48, 50 with Noble for both 20 & 26?

Leaving us with 20, 26 and 32…

Obviously that’s prefaced on the basis that we miss out on trade targets like Peatling, Hobbs etc.

But ultimately it’s pretty advantageous that Noble has actually chosen GCS since they just need points. It could allow us to really upgrade our draft hand by bundling up picks.

Last edited:
Wonder if Noble, 48 and 50 would get us Pick 20 from Gold Coast? Maybe pick 37 from Port for Richards?

I’d be pretty content in a deep draft going in with 20, 32 and 37 (as it stands).

Obviously that’s prefaced on the basis that we miss out on trade targets like Peatling, Hobbs etc.
Maybe we don't ask for 20 but 26+34 as it is worth more points and trade down to pick 14

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back