List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

I really thought the Fly and Naicos combo would get some players to choose us as a destination
I reckon a lot more goes into recruiting than that. So while its a good lever, it's not everything. Players have their own reasons choosing elsewhere, or staying.

Time to pump some money into recruiting and player development. We don't spend enough on them and are slowly falling behind
Yes, but we need to put an end to the FD shuffle. You never hear of changes within Geelong’s FD because they’re so settled and they know their roles. That stability is a precursor to success, IMO.

Players, above all else, are self-motivated.

Money and playing time are the main drivers - when you're not talking 'home sickness'.

The Woods look like an incredible place to work, but does a premiership team scream like a place with ample opportunity to play and cash to burn?

I dare say that in 2025 that will change as more money and veterans come off the books, but I don't think it's hard to see why we're seemingly not a destination club, despite the immaculate vibes Fly has fostered over the last three seasons.

Still a LOT of madness to develop over the next month and the traditional quota of 'Collingwood interest in...' being used to generate content and clicks.

Having said that, I don't think we have the levers to pull this season to land any players of significance or real needle-pushers.

Noble could seemingly get us back into the top 25 of the draft so we can snap up the next Billy Morrison and that may be about it. I expect Joe Richards to re-sign, but a little more draft capital for him wouldn't hurt either.

Hyne has shown on multiple occasions that he'll trade a future first if a F/S is on the way (McGuane) who looks like first round quality, so that will be one to watch. I don't think I can deal mentally with watching another future first rounder get traded for pennies and turn into a noose around our necks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 17 (Henry) & 19 (Finn) < pick 20.
No doubt.

No one loves Dekka more than I do, but I think it's fair to say he's been average at best at the draft table for some time now.

2023 was largely (and bloody magnificently) built off the success of drafts from 7+ years prior, savvy trading and F/S & academy picks.

He owes us a gem or two in the coming years.

Yeah
when your first pick is currently 31 and counting, it doesn't entice the market well.
What rubbish, you can always trade in picks and there is always ways to get more and upgrade them.

Sick of this "our draft hand is so terrible", wait until after the trade period because I can guarantee you it will be significantly better.

No doubt.

No one loves Dekka more than I do, but I think it's fair to say he's been average at best at the draft table for some time now.

2023 was largely (and bloody magnificently) built off the success of drafts from 7+ years prior, savvy trading and F/S & academy picks.

He owes us a gem or two in the coming years.
The clubs inability to develop them to their strengths is a worse problem.

Ive heard we aren't budging on the 2 year deal we have put in front of Richards. So he'll have to make a decision in the next few weeks.
It all feels like a manager trying to get him another year. I spoke to a mate from Wang and the feel is that they couldn't imagine him going to SA...

What rubbish, you can always trade in picks and there is always ways to get more and upgrade them.

Sick of this "our draft hand is so terrible", wait until after the trade period because I can guarantee you it will be significantly better.
100% agree. Pure garbage. We will get a pick for Noble, that won’t be too dissimilar to Geelong’s that they’re using as part of the Smith deal. Either nobody wants to come to us or our list management doesn’t put enough work into players early enough.

Yes but they get their man.

Having played 13 prelims in 18 years, you really have to admire the way they go about trading, which has been crucial to their success. Each year they target available high-end talent (Dangerfield, Henderson, Tuohy, Rohan, Dahlhaus, Cameron, Smith, Higgins, Stengle, Bowes, Bruhn, Henry) and this year they will bring in Bailey Smith.

They are also shrewd enough to hold firm on what they get for players on the way out. They turn Tim Kelly as a mature player taken at pick 24 into 2 first round picks from West Coast. Smart trading. Not to mention pay bottom dollars for players coming in like Henry for pick 25.

They also have a happy knack of plucking players from obscurity in local Geelong leagues (Tom Stewart pick 40, Grien Miers pick 57, Tom Atkins rookie) all inspired selections.

Overall their drafting is strong. They just get the balance right between trading in talent and topping up through the draft and nailing selections.

I love seeing Geeling getting beaten - but love the way they go about building their list - results speaks for themselves. Just compare the record over the past 18 years (13 Prelims), and the Bumbers who havent won a final in 20 years.
Oh absolutely they draft and trade as good as anyone and are brilliant at finding late gems in the draft, I wish our trading was

He's not really worth pick 20 it's an end of first round pick - particularly in a strong draft. They'd probably be able to trade it for a future first. JFN isn't worth that - particularly as we're keeping the F.

I think we'd have to throw in our third round picks as well as JFN to get that pick 20.

How many teams are in the AFL again?

Pick 20 is in the second round.

And will be pushed back further with bids on FS and Academy selections.

100% agree. Pure garbage. We will get a pick for Noble, that won’t be too dissimilar to Geelong’s that they’re using as part of the Smith deal. Either nobody wants to come to us or our list management doesn’t put enough work into players early enough.
Even the whole "no one wants to come to us"

Bailey Smith is a surfer dude. He loves that lifestyle. Thats Geelong..
Davies? Who cares?

We've shown, that we don't have to recruit "stars".. Just players that can play roles and play them well enough.

The clubs inability to develop them to their strengths is a worse problem.
We won the flag 12 months ago. We've made 4 prelims in the last 6 years. If you go back further, since 2002, Collingwood has made 11 prelims in 22 years. We've won two flags and played in 7 GFs.

I think the development is just fine.

Some kids just don't make it. They don't gel with your team, your gameplan etc. Fact of life.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back