List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

We have shown we have a list that with minor tweaking can win a flag right now. Why would we sacrifice this current opportunity out of fear for what the list could be years from now? Flags are really hard to come by. I'm more than comfortable trying to win one now than trying to build a list that could win one 5 years from now.
Exactly

And Pendles Sidey howey still playing good footy and add JDG Mitchell and miho in next year and we are back in business for another tilt

This is my concern too

I'm trying to rationalise it in my head by assuming we have a plan to go hard at restricted free agents next year after Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Cox, Checkers and god knows who else retires.

If you look at the Restricted Free Agents for next year, it's a very good list (Last I checked).

So maybe the plan is to add Thomas McGuane as the gun kid alongside 3 or 4 gun restricted free agents?

Hope you’re right. If we don’t land the FA’s then brace for years in the wilderness.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dangerfield is the Cats most important player right now and next up Cameron.

Both 30+

Doesnt matter how old they are as long they perform.

We already have the oldest list in the comp by quite a margin and yet by the way trade period is shaping up, our age margin is going to get even larger in 2025. It’s extraordinary.

Our list in going to go completely over the cliff in 2026 and then we’ll be trying to rebuild in drafts dominated by Tassie. It’s gonna get very ugly.

Based on the AFL web site our average age is 25.7 and Geelong is 25.4
The experts have been saying for the last 5 years that Geelong are heading for a cliff but based on their form of last week they are not going anywhere soon
Geelong proves that the balance can be struck if you are clever about things and recruit well from other clubs and have a bit of luck in the draft
Lets let Leppa do his job and see where we are at in a couple of years
Its is sounding positive at the stage that we might improve our draft hand and we already have a potential top 10 pick
in next years draft in Tom McGuane
We have some good young talent coming through and with a good run with injury and a couple of recruits an easier draw we will be back up the pointy end next year
Our best footy is still as good as any other team in the competition

We have shown we have a list that with minor tweaking can win a flag right now. Why would we sacrifice this current opportunity out of fear for what the list could be years from now? Flags are really hard to come by. I'm more than comfortable trying to win one now than trying to build a list that could win one 5 years from now.

With age comes slowness and injuries. I predict that we’ll lack both speed and continuity next season.

6 year deal for him though? That’s a lot for a bloke who’s just a role player imo.
Six years is exactly the length of career you would hope a quality role player to have if they're recruited at 25.

Quality role players, in my opinion, are exactly what we need to be surrounding Nick, Josh and Jordy with. No nonsense types who can play a role every week.

The question is about the money and whether choosing Perryman would come at the cost of chasing a bigger 'name' player in 2025.

I don't think it's worth worrying about - I can't see us committing that kind of money when most of the reporting suggests we're opening up the wallet in 12 months time.

Facts suggest you are wrong in saying we are the “oldest by a fair margin.”

Turning 29 or over in 2025.
Melb - 18
Geel Coll - 13
Carl - 12
BNE, Swans,GWS - 11
Even Freo who are considered a young list have 10.
So we are not as bad as you think.

Spinny, why do you always restrict/twist posts to suit your narrowly-defined arguments? It makes it very hard to have a sensible discussion.

In this case, why did you arbitrarily pick the age of 29? What would it look like if you picked 30? Or 31? Or 32? Much worse, no doubt. And you’re only looking at raw numbers, not importance of the specific players to those teams. In our case our old players are unfortunately still hugely important.

The following players are likely to be gone or in sharp decline by the 2026 season, with very few apparent replacements:

Pendlebury
Sidebottom
Elliott
Mihochek
Cox
Howe
Crisp
Mitchell
McStay

How are we going to go in 2026 and 2027 with all of those guys gone? I guess you still think that Fin Macrae and Reef McInnes will be the saviours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which of our best players were 30+ in 2021?

I refuse to engage with posters like yourself who find negativity in everything. It’s tiresome. The world isn’t ending. We will be fine. Not even 12 months on from a flag fmd.

Anyway. Back to 2024 trades.

Based on the AFL web site our average age is 25.7 and Geelong is 25.4
The experts have been saying for the last 5 years that Geelong are heading for a cliff but based on their form of last week they are not going anywhere soon
Geelong proves that the balance can be struck if you are clever about things and recruit well from other clubs and have a bit of luck in the draft
Lets let Leppa do his job and see where we are at in a couple of years
Its is sounding positive at the stage that we might improve our draft hand and we already have a potential top 10 pick
in next years draft in Tom McGuane
We have some good young talent coming through and with a good run with injury and a couple of recruits an easier draw we will be back up the pointy end next year
Our best footy is still as good as any other team in the competition

Average age is very misleading. Work out the average age of each team’s best 10 players and we would be way older than all the others including Geelong - whose average is about to drop anyway with retirements of Tomahawk and Toohey.

No one will want to trade out of top 20 except possibly Suns at 12 and Lions at 14. We should be targeting either of those picks
I would use it on the best young key position player. Not sure Houston is a real need as a flanker
Yup agreed, let’s focus on what we need
He's probably the best half back flanker in the comp and you don't want him? lol
of course Id like him, excellent player. if he was a free agent, he'd be great...but we already have excellent half back flankers in Maynard IQ, and Crispy if he does back there. I think TJ is a great prospect, and Parker has promise. Maybe Oleg can return to his former glory....it isnt a position of need.

Meanwhile our midfield got slaughtered all season long. We really lack inside mids. Once Mitchell and JDG fell over we were dangerously thin. Pendles and Sidey are now unreliable. Mitch isnt getting any younger, even when he played he looked a step off the pace, and who knows how JDG recovers after copping two serious injuries in 1 season

Our Key position stocks are also dangerously thin. With Murphy out, Moore lacks a partner. Billy is unrealiable, Deans AFL potential is questionable. There are no young KPF stocks to replace and back up McStay and the ageing and increasingly injury prone Checkers.

Those are our 2 areas of need, not HBFers...and the problem is Houston will be expensive, (we can kiss next years first rounder goodbye), spending up big on a luxury hbfer makes it far more difficult to address our problem areas...

Just to add to my rant. I've seen 3 flags in my life, and each flag was preceded by brilliant targeted recruiting. We were a good team in 88 and 89, but the midfield lacked pace. We addressed this need by recruiting Francis and Russell. We were a good side in 2007-9, but lacked a physical ruckman and a genuine first dibs inside mid. We recruited Jolly and Ball and the rest is history...We were a good side in 2022, but lacked a KPF, a genuine inside mid, and a bit of x factor on the forward line. We recruited McStay, Mitchell, and Bobby...

So thats what we got to do, targeted trading. Dont waste limited draft picks and cap space on players, even excellent players, that dont address a need

Spinny, why do you always restrict/twist posts to suit your narrowly-defined arguments? It makes it very hard to have a sensible discussion.

In this case, why did you arbitrarily pick the age of 29? What would it look like if you picked 30? Or 31? Or 32? Much worse, no doubt. And you’re only looking at raw numbers, not importance of the specific players to those teams. In our case our old players are unfortunately still hugely important.

The following players are likely to be gone or in sharp decline by the 2026 season, with very few apparent replacements:

Pendlebury
Sidebottom
Elliott
Mihochek
Cox
Howe
Crisp
Mitchell
McStay

How are we going to go in 2026 and 2027 with all of those guys gone? I guess you still think that Fin Macrae and Reef McInnes will be the saviours.

You just don't know about the replacements.
Hawks looked a basket case, and all of a sudden you find players like Ambrosia who was almost All Australian. It was only 2 years ago

No doubt we will stagger the retirements. Pendles and Howe will probably be gone end of next season.
Sidebottom and Elliot the following etc etc

Players don't need to be replaced 'like for like'. The makeup of teams change quickly. One of the advantages of some of these older guys retiring is that we can add more speed to the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back