List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

With age comes slowness and injuries. I predict that we’ll lack both speed and continuity next season.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Keep the old, strong, angry, wiley players in key positions and recruit young speedsters as the outside run. There's your premiership formula.

I like perryman, even on 6 years, if the value of the contract is reasonable. Good player, would be an astute pick up as a free agent and helps fill the age gap. On field will help free up WHE and daicos (and prevent us having to play bytel as a wing). Fingers crossed.
He much more than just a HBF, he's way ahead of some of ours. Seems to be just coming into his prime

I'd love to know where Leppa and co. are actually at in their conversations with Peatling, Houston, Stringer etc.

We're led to believe by Hutchy's empire that we're pitching our pitch, the player hasn't decided; leaning this way or that.

But on the other hand I'd be very surprised if a) all 3 nominated us and b) we could come close to getting them all in the door if they did.

So they'd have to have some inclination wouldn't they? I get the secrecy for those still in the finals, like Peatling, but surely they'd have a fairly good idea of our chances after just one phone call to a manager.

He much more than just a HBF, he's way ahead of some of ours. Seems to be just coming into his prime
I think wing is probably his best position. Having him probably allows himself and josh daicos to rotate wing/hbf, then whe and sidey can rotate wing/hff. Play around with the combos and game time until we get the mix right. I think that was a strength of ours in 23 that dropped off a lot in 24.

And what about the year after that? And the next one? And the next?

Sent from my iPhon
Everyone knows that the aim of footy isn't to try and win flags. It's to make sure that you're not in the wilderness 3 years from now.

They've linked us with half the AFL. I think it's a plot to disappoint Pies fans when they don't come to us.
At least it keeps the discussion going until finals are finished lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spinny, why do you always restrict/twist posts to suit your narrowly-defined arguments? It makes it very hard to have a sensible discussion.

In this case, why did you arbitrarily pick the age of 29? What would it look like if you picked 30? Or 31? Or 32? Much worse, no doubt. And you’re only looking at raw numbers, not importance of the specific players to those teams. In our case our old players are unfortunately still hugely important.

The following players are likely to be gone or in sharp decline by the 2026 season, with very few apparent replacements:

Pendlebury
Sidebottom
Elliott
Mihochek
Cox
Howe
Crisp
Mitchell
McStay

How are we going to go in 2026 and 2027 with all of those guys gone? I guess you still think that Fin Macrae and Reef McInnes will be the saviours.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Someone else picked 29plus, a few weeks ago, and I did the analysis which I copied into the post.
Hopefully it gave you some TRUE perspective.

I think SHARP DECLINE for all those players is bunkum.

Yup agreed, let’s focus on what we need

of course Id like him, excellent player. if he was a free agent, he'd be great...but we already have excellent half back flankers in Maynard IQ, and Crispy if he does back there. I think TJ is a great prospect, and Parker has promise. Maybe Oleg can return to his former glory....it isnt a position of need.

Meanwhile our midfield got slaughtered all season long. We really lack inside mids. Once Mitchell and JDG fell over we were dangerously thin. Pendles and Sidey are now unreliable. Mitch isnt getting any younger, even when he played he looked a step off the pace, and who knows how JDG recovers after copping two serious injuries in 1 season

Our Key position stocks are also dangerously thin. With Murphy out, Moore lacks a partner. Billy is unrealiable, Deans AFL potential is questionable. There are no young KPF stocks to replace and back up McStay and the ageing and increasingly injury prone Checkers.

Those are our 2 areas of need, not HBFers...and the problem is Houston will be expensive, (we can kiss next years first rounder goodbye), spending up big on a luxury hbfer makes it far more difficult to address our problem areas...

Just to add to my rant. I've seen 3 flags in my life, and each flag was preceded by brilliant targeted recruiting. We were a good team in 88 and 89, but the midfield lacked pace. We addressed this need by recruiting Francis and Russell. We were a good side in 2007-9, but lacked a physical ruckman and a genuine first dibs inside mid. We recruited Jolly and Ball and the rest is history...We were a good side in 2022, but lacked a KPF, a genuine inside mid, and a bit of x factor on the forward line. We recruited McStay, Mitchell, and Bobby...

So thats what we got to do, targeted trading. Dont waste limited draft picks and cap space on players, even excellent players, that dont address a need
Totally agree with these comments.

If we pay overs for luxury players, by the time Tassie comes in we will have a compromised draft. It just prolongs out time in the bottom half in years to come.

We need to target a midfield bull (under 25) and a key back man to replace murphy. They should be priority targets. I think we have enough current draft capital (including the incoming picks from Noble and Richards). Once we have these 2 targets, I'm all for trading our future first for a first pick in this years draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back