List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

The way I read it, they were saying that Mcreery wouldn't be able to lay as many tackles if the player he was hunting had an outlet because Mcreery's team mate wasn't being accountable to their man. Round about way of saying that the entire forward line needs to put pressure on or it all falls down.
I understood the premise of that post but to use McCreery who lays the most tackles and plays further up the ground where it's not as congested as inside fifty as an example was blatantly wrong. Would have made sense to say McCreery's pressure enables Schultz and Elliot to exert theirs.

your words from Sept 15 2021 - not as colourful, so at least in that regard you're on the up

"The delusion is still strong in this thread. Our list is a pile of sh*t that still needs a lot more shoveling. Pendles and Sidey need to be shipped off to the retirement village, and we still need a lot more rigorous plunging to loosen some of the nasty crud that is clogging up our list."

No list purges happened as you'd hoped - PF the following year and then a Flag 2 years after that post..

Correct. And I have admitted my wrongness before.

Fly worked a miracle and turned a list with a lot of problems into a flag team that I didn't anticipate.

I wasn't wrong this year though. You're focusing on me being wrong in 2022-2023 - but I was right about us shitting the bed in 2024, which is more relevant.

Because I could never be wrong for long. I am saying if we want one final crack, then we need to go all in. Take a punt and recruit a bunch of people to have one more crack. Or rebuild. But either way we can't afford to do almost nothing.

Yup agreed, let’s focus on what we need

of course Id like him, excellent player. if he was a free agent, he'd be great...but we already have excellent half back flankers in Maynard IQ, and Crispy if he does back there. I think TJ is a great prospect, and Parker has promise. Maybe Oleg can return to his former glory....it isnt a position of need.

Meanwhile our midfield got slaughtered all season long. We really lack inside mids. Once Mitchell and JDG fell over we were dangerously thin. Pendles and Sidey are now unreliable. Mitch isnt getting any younger, even when he played he looked a step off the pace, and who knows how JDG recovers after copping two serious injuries in 1 season

Our Key position stocks are also dangerously thin. With Murphy out, Moore lacks a partner. Billy is unrealiable, Deans AFL potential is questionable. There are no young KPF stocks to replace and back up McStay and the ageing and increasingly injury prone Checkers.

Those are our 2 areas of need, not HBFers...and the problem is Houston will be expensive, (we can kiss next years first rounder goodbye), spending up big on a luxury hbfer makes it far more difficult to address our problem areas...

Just to add to my rant. I've seen 3 flags in my life, and each flag was preceded by brilliant targeted recruiting. We were a good team in 88 and 89, but the midfield lacked pace. We addressed this need by recruiting Francis and Russell. We were a good side in 2007-9, but lacked a physical ruckman and a genuine first dibs inside mid. We recruited Jolly and Ball and the rest is history...We were a good side in 2022, but lacked a KPF, a genuine inside mid, and a bit of x factor on the forward line. We recruited McStay, Mitchell, and Bobby...

So thats what we got to do, targeted trading. Dont waste limited draft picks and cap space on players, even excellent players, that dont address a need

I wouldn't chase Houston, but for different reasons.

We view our needs differently. I think he'd be perfect for us in the short term.

I thought there were two really significant personnel movements in the end of the year. Josh to half back had us transitioning the footy where we'd been stuck in the back half for the prior month And Sidey as a run with midfielder was fantastic - beating AA mids. Id be keeping those changes.The issue is it left us with Bytel on a wing.

I'm not worried about next year's midfield. We might have 4 additions to what we went with for most of this year: Sidey, Mitchell, JDG and hopefully Allan kicks on. Crisp would be able to roll back to replace Noble.

As well as kpd, it's the wings we need to bolster in terms of best 22. Houston would enable us to move Josh an AA wingman back there.

That to me is the short term need. But with our list we also need to be thinking longer term as well. And Houston would cost too much. I don't know Perryman from a bar of soap. But if he's a decent wingman - overpay in salary to get him with no trade cost and hit the draft with whatever we end up with by trading Noble, Future first and Richards if he wants out. And add any other best 22 cheapies we can find amongst the cheap older pile as with our list we've got to target the now for a *** attempt as well as the future - I'm looking at you Stringer.

Last edited:
If we do get stringer, I would like us to start giving bobby hill some minutes in the midfield. With stringer, Schultz, Elliott and beau , two kpf in the fwd line, does give us more scoring power and the flexibility to use hills speed in the midfield. Yes we would be sacrificing forward pressure, but would give this side a different look.

a64edba5d3cc40202dc37fd9ea1a294b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we do get stringer, I would like us to start giving bobby hill some minutes in the midfield. With stringer, Schultz, Elliott and beau , two kpf in the fwd line, does give us more scoring power and the flexibility to use hills speed in the midfield. Yes we would be sacrificing forward pressure, but would give this side a different look.
Like Bobby on the wing

Elliot dropped mark against essendon + sullivan handing the ball to naicos + sidebottom allowing gulden to score = unnecessary weeks of emotional rollercoaster on trade and FA thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forward pressure is a group effort. We need everyone chairing and closing down the exit options. McReery’s chases are ineffective if there are free options running with the player he’s chasing.
If you want to maintain pressure and bring in Stringer:

Follow the rest of the comp and don't play a ruck up forward.

Or better still, get Stringer chasing.

Do you reckon our recruitment strategy is to just sign players who perform out of their skin against us in order to neutralise the threats? Explains the Stringer interest and us getting Tom Mitchell. Fingers crossed Jeremy Cameron is next. 🤞

So the very same Jay Clark that said today on Triple M that we have a two year offer worth $550k in front of Stringer is the same Jay Clark that is tonight writing this (attached).

Talk about a dollar each way.View attachment 2108632

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
The less interested we sound the more leverage we have at the trade table. We know Essendon would like him out, so we’ll offer to take him off their hands for a nothing pick. Act too keen and they might think they’ll get something worthwhile for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back