List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Just thinking about a hypothetical trade here.....

Oliver wants to get to Geelong. Geelong will need to use at least its first pick this year to get Smith (Lets say they use pick 15 & 35). Leaving them with only a future first. They will have no currency to trade in Oliver as a future first would not be enough for a player of his calibre...... Unless they are willing to sacrifice a player.

This is where I think the SDK rumors may pick up again. Pies could could offer up their future first to Geelong for SDK. This would leave Geelong with 2 future firsts to on-trade to Melbourne for Oliver.
Mackie wouldn't offer up 2 future firsts for Nick Daicos. There is no way Melbourne are getting 2 first round picks for Olivers contract.

Not many to choose from.

202cm, 100kg 25 year old Lewis young is still available.

I don’t think he is as bad as others make out… this year averaged 13 touches, 6 marks, 4 rebound 50s

Had 16, 9 marks and 400m gained vs lions in losing elimination final. Quite influential.

I don’t think we’d ever see those numbers from Dean or Frampton

~~~~~~~

With Howe ageing and TJ not ready … 188cm 26 year old Alex Witherden is out of contract… a ready made mid sized defensive option

Has averaged more in previous years but this year still averaged 17 disposals, 4 marks and 5 intercepts.

These two aren’t world beaters but are available

Frampton to then be more of a spare parts man… filling in down back or in ruck as soon as injury strikes

Dean I’m not overly sold on

McInness would probably make a decent defender… but for some reason the club doesn’t seem keen on him long term
Isn’t the obvious question- if he’s so good why are Carlton wanting a 32 yo Haynes as a replacement? Who is also 10cm shorter.

That’s what I’m lead to believe
Looking at teams who may have bursting salary's.

Gold Coast - although pushing Lukosius out the door

Western Bulldogs - Might be top heavy although if they lose Jack Macrae, Bailey Smith, Caleb Daniel they might be okay

Carlton - if they get Houston surely they would need to salary dump

Sydney - might struggle to keep all their stars but who would they push out?

Essendon - maybe with all their young mids

Freo - maybe if they think they can bring in Bolton, Pickett (we will take Hayden Young for a future 1st)

Doubt it would be Dees, Port, Giants (losing 4-6)

If it is a salary dump, you would have to look at the clubs in the top 15 picks and see which of them are more likely to prefer cap space instead of drafting. I say top 15 because of Collingwoods desire to get back towards the sharp end of the draft, and you would have to think that is only scenario in which they remotely consider a salary dump.

Mackie wouldn't offer up 2 future firsts for Nick Daicos. There is no way Melbourne are getting 2 first round picks for Olivers contract.
What would Geelong reasonably give up for Oliver? Perhaps they may ask for something back from Melbourne? Oliver & a second or 3rd round.

He's an A grade midfielder when he is at his peak. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to get him back to playing his best. We are talking about an opportunity here for Geelong to have a star studded midfield. It would be very tempting. Mackie would be thinking a move like this would push their chances for a premiership.

Yeah Young would be my choice of what's available
Lewis is an average player and as for Peatling, he managed to string a few good games together. Perryman has 5 years of good games behind him, while Kennedy appears to be on the outer at Carlton and would be a worthwhile pickup for us. Quality wins premierships, not players who happen to make up the numbers.

Western Bulldogs - Might be top heavy although if they lose Jack Macrae, Bailey Smith, Caleb Daniel they might be okay

Freo - maybe if they think they can bring in Bolton, Pickett (we will take Hayden Young for a future 1st)

On the Dogs, Smith is irrelevant because he’s out of contract so there’s no salary to dump, his departure would have already been factored in to the books. Macrae is a significant contract, but I can’t imagine Daniel would be on excessive money.

They’re definitely the club that stands out in terms of a bursting salary and they’ll still have to find more room for Darcy’s payday. Prying out one of their talls because they’ve over-extended would be a thing of beauty.

Fremantle , Sydney, and GC are my top few picks.
Fremantle- they are potentially bring in players on big contracts and may have few stars who are in line for a contract extension. They may prefer the salary cap space to better balance their list to contend for finals.

Sydney- they may feel like they need to improve the bottom part of their list and trading out one major contract for multiple role players may be one potential path for them to get over the hump.

GC - yes they are going to lose lukosius, but if they cant unload his entire contract onto port, then they may be in a situation where they have to trade a player where the other club is willing to take on the entire salary. Have to keep in mind that they have to keep money aside for ben king and Matt Rowell who will both command at least a million per season. If Mac Andrews can get that ridiculous contract, imagine what ben king can command.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone actually know or have heard somewhere along the grapevine who said player could be?

Its a big footy forum, don't be afraid to name names if you have heard something.

Apologies if I sound rude, not at all my intention.

Carlton, Doggies, Sydney and Brisbane to me would be the only clubs that might be in trouble

I reckon it's Naughton
Make sense but you have to consider that dogs first pick in this year's draft is in the mid 30's. They lost their first this year to GC and I don't think they would entertain trading their F1 again. I certainly don't think they will trade the first they get for bailey smith because in that scenario it essentially becomes
out - smith, naughton plus his entire contract+ first round pick
In- salary cap space.
Will struggle to bring in top-end players to improve their squad with no high value picks.

Having said that, naughton plus a percentage of his salary for the second round pick makes some sense.

Fremantle , Sydney, and GC are my top few picks.
Fremantle- they are potentially bring in players on big contracts and may have few stars who are in line for a contract extension. They may prefer the salary cap space to better balance their list to contend for finals.

Sydney- they may feel like they need to improve the bottom part of their list and trading out one major contract for multiple role players may be one potential path for them to get over the hump.

GC - yes they are going to lose lukosius, but if they cant unload his entire contract onto port, then they may be in a situation where they have to trade a player where the other club is willing to take on the entire salary. Have to keep in mind that they have to keep money aside for ben king and Matt Rowell who will both command at least a million per season. If Mac Andrews can get that ridiculous contract, imagine what ben king can command.
Freo have taken on JOM and Brodie as dumps previously so seem to have a good handle on their payments. Although the Sean Darcy and Cox contracts they may not be happy with.

Sydney are always well run and could easily just trade Warner to a WA team if the homesick rumours are true. Not as a dump though.

In terms of list management teams:
  • GCS have needed to dump previously so may need to do it again
  • ESS Rosa just took over from Dodo so may have inherited a problem (Parich, McKay, Ridley, Stringer/Lav push out, etc.)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back