List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

This is pretty much a 'flag or bust' strategy here. If we land another flag in the next 1-3 years, it will have been the right move. If we don't, it will have been a bad move. Black or white.

Not going to lie, I’m a bit worried about where the club will be in 3 years time with our lack of young talent.

Particularly with Tassie about to drain the talent pool.
No.

This is what Fly was on about, he doesn't want the draft.. Because you can target and get players in trades after they've been developed.

No matter what, every year there is the 1st round and 2nd round and majority past those don't come good. But what will always be the norm is the big clubs.

We don’t have any academy players anyway
So points are useless
They’ll also move up into the 40s due to the academy selections before all those picks being used up.

We will be fine
Pragmatic Shill basically reponds to your quote aswell.

Yeah i understand, more so to trade up the draft with other teams who need the points. Could possibly use 2 of those picks to trade up the draft order and get a pick in the 20s or 30s. Maybe use a future 3rd on draft night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See what ends up coming back, but without 36 you’d think bringing in Robertson is much more likely.

One thing I will say though is; don’t do it for the optics, Pies! The last time we went all out to appease the masses it resulted in a bunch of late firsts which got spent on Henry, Macrae, Reef, Poulter and McMahon. Be ruthless!

Yeah, at least these picks will come into the 40's. Thank goodness there is depth

52, 55, 58. will be our picks

Which plays into Hine's strength anyway Jen

Hine's record with top picks over the last decade is deplorable

Only need to look at the 2020 Draft as the prime example of what I mean

Tom is a mid-late first round prospect IMO at the moment.

If we falter and end up below that on the ladder we will end up in the Daicos situation again (ie missing out on Callaghan)
But we still won a flag barely 12 months on from that
We may dig holes for ourselves but we always find a way to make it worthwhile

No.

This is what Fly was on about, he doesn't want the draft.. Because you can target and get players in trades after they've been developed.

No matter what, every year there is the 1st round and 2nd round and majority past those don't come good. But what will always be the norm is the big clubs.

Personally I’d rather the Cats approach though.

Getting players like Bruhn, Henry, Smith etc at the start of their careers, once they have proven themselves at the level, rather than the end.

"The deal was getting closer on Monday after talks sped up, with the Magpies deciding on trading more capital for pick 13, which was in essence turned into Houston. They had previously been reluctant to give more than pick 13 and Richards."

We folded to get pick 13

Which is what was needed when you're trying to get in quality on Houston's level

The last time we traded in a player of this sort of quality was 30 years ago with Bucks (not saying Houston is as good as Bucks)

This is a powerful play, just remember if we get Houston and pick 58 as chump change for giving up a future first (Mcguane will still be our future first next year) it's not all doom and gloom, as Swanny has mentioned there is a statistically greater chance to win a Brownlow at 58 than pick 1 with Swan and Neale both picked at 58 😆

I was genuinely looking forward to being able to see us draft a decent KPP in the second round this year but it looks like another year of having to rely on Hine to sift through the rubble to find a couple of diamonds again.
For some reason I'm getting flashbacks to 2019 when we got Rantall and Bianco in the 40s and we thought they were steals. Or 2021 with Draper and Murley in the 40s.

I know draft picks are overrated. But it certainly is easier to pick players with the earlier selections, usually there is a reason why players slip into the third round. Hopefully this draft is as deep as people are saying.

This is pretty much a 'flag or bust' strategy here. If we land another flag in the next 1-3 years, it will have been the right move. If we don't, it will have been a bad move. Black or white.
Not really. We've mainly given up an F1. One we likely needed to trade at some point with McGuane coming next year. Pick 36, if included, does not have huge value. This is not a deal where we've given up some massive cache of draft picks.

The two players we've lost have been replaced by two of similar age and significantly higher quality.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back