List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne listed as a winner in that article and we aren’t

Our list is much better than Melbourne’s and we added Perryman for nothing, and Houston for our future first, pick 36 and two depth players

Melbourne also don’t have a future first (I repeat, with a worse list) and will be dreaming of taking a player as good as Houston with one of their top picks.

Make it make sense
Apparently pick 9 trumps Houston and Perryman ...

I have a sneaking suspicion that a part of the reason they got such exceptional deals for Rioli and Balta is that they’re paying a chunk of their salaries. And if so, kudos to them.
Nice move if you're right. Makes sense.

Bloody scary though that Northern academy advantage could also flow into salary cap advantages.

Tarryn Thomas the only bust inside the first 13 picks, and that wasn’t for a lack of talent. But there are some meh players in that lot too. Walsh at 1 was solid but he’s no superstar. Lukosious at 2 (lol). The King twins still haven’t lived up to the hype surrounding them. There are guns in there but nobody in the top 10 you’d regard as generational, and this draft seems to have the same vibe to me. Pick 3 is much more likely to land Carlton a Walsh level player than a Cripps level player imo.
Walsh is an interesting one. Early on he looked generational in how quickly he impacted. But seems to have hit his ceiling as a low impact accumulator

Walsh is an interesting one. Early on he looked generational in how quickly he impacted. But seems to have hit his ceiling as a low impact accumulator
He's a very good player, but always looked like an accumulator more than a high impact player.

Best I kept my mouth shut.

View attachment 2145115

They just want to complain. Hope is the devil to them.

It won't be remotely surprising if Richards, Lukosius and their draft picks do well and history views them as having done really well out of the deal.

Not sure what they wanted us to do.

It’s too late for us to cash in good players for early picks. That ship sailed when we didn’t extract early picks for Treloar, Stephenson, Grundy, etc due salary cap pressures that everyone knew about and our remaining senior core passed 27-28 years of age.

No one is going to give us early picks for a senior core who’s now largely over 32 and we don’t have the volume in the next age bracket to trade 1-2 stars out. Those over 32 hold more value to us than we’d obtain in trade and as seen with us previously and the dogs with Daniel & Macrae you don’t gain early picks when the club is initiating the trade.

Therefore we had three options.

- Retire blokes and bottom out.

- Do nothing, retain the status quo and hope other sides drop off more than us.

- Be proactive and improve our list in the hope of staying in contention.

None has us acquiring multiple early picks in this draft, two don’t make bottoming out in ‘25 a certainty and only one has us potentially challenging for a flag. I know which I’d prefer and I’m glad the club took that approach.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good idea. I'll try that one now.
And remind them about how much they're paying Lukosious & for how long.

Apparently he's the type who plays better when on the edge, but ..

'Lukosius’ deal with the Power is for six years.

The former Suns swingman is leaving the Gold Coast with a heavily back-ended contract that was reportedly worth $1.9 million over 2025 and 2026.

The Suns’ refusal to pay some of Lukosius’ wages was why Collingwood walked away from a Lukosius trade last month.'

Today on sen they were reporting Lukosious' contract with Port was actually 7 years, not 6 ! I'm sure Kane will be thrilled.

Carlton had a golden chance to secure Houston …. and declined as they instead went back to the draft.

It was so un-Carlton-like and yet a decision that will only extend their premiership window years into the future.

I find this bizarre. Carlton have picks 3, 38, 63, 68, 69, 72. So pick 3 & 38 is extending their premiership window years? No pressure kids.
How long will this promise of a new Carlton dawn be spewed by the media and still they are yet to even play in a grand final in the last thirty years. What's the point of a premiership window if you can never climb through it? Bring on 2025 please.

Technically their first pick is 45, so before ours lol

They have 2 picks atm we have 3. Anyways my point was that the media carry on about the age of our list and having no picks yet say nothing about Geelong when they have a old list as well with no draft picks like us.

Not sure what they wanted us to do.

It’s too late for us to cash in good players for early picks. That ship sailed when we didn’t extract early picks for Treloar, Stephenson, Grundy, etc due salary cap pressures that everyone knew about and our remaining senior core passed 27-28 years of age.

No one is going to give us early picks for a senior core who’s now largely over 32 and we don’t have the volume in the next age bracket to trade 1-2 stars out. Those over 32 hold more value to us than we’d obtain in trade and us seen with us previously and the dogs with Daniel & Macrae you don’t gain early picks when the club is initiating the trade.

Therefore we had three options.

- Retire blokes and bottom out.

- Do nothing, retain the status quo and hope other sides drop off more than us.

- Be proactive and improve our list in the hope of staying in contention.

None has us acquiring multiple early picks in this draft, two don’t make bottoming out in ‘25 a certainty and only one has us potentially challenging for a flag. I know which I’d prefer and I’m glad the club took that approach.
If we are a chance of another flag next season at the expense of what could be a long time at the bottom in the next few seasons (according to the media), I’m taking the chance of a flag!

With that said, I don’t buy into the doom and gloom of 2-3 years away. We have some really good players in the age bracket below the ‘oldies’, anothrr one who had the second most Brownlow votes in a season all time, 100k plus members who love the place etc.
I’d be shocked if we couldn’t recruit established players who wouldn’t want to come to the club.

They have 2 picks atm we have 3. Anyways my point was that the media carry on about the age of our list and having no picks yet say nothing about Geelong when they have a old list as well with no draft picks like us.
They have three.
45, 57, 75
But they did bring in a 23yr. And had three 30+ players retire.

For whoever was concerned earlier about our ranga quota being non-existent now and wondering how we might remedy it. The only option I have managed to come up with is Gary Rohan as a DFA.

Cats had a fair bit of young talent in a prelim team this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back