List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

How long will this promise of a new Carlton dawn be spewed by the media and still they are yet to even play in a grand final in the last thirty years. What's the point of a premiership window if you can never climb through it? Bring on 2025 please.
The AFL Integrity Unit (😂) is investigating the Blose for abusing their premiership window.

Screenshot_20241017-072158~2.png

So now that trade week is all done and dusted, I would like to make one observation.
All year I have read posters talking about how we gave our future first for shoota and now we have no trade capital and blah blah blah blah blah.
And here we are. End of trade period and we have The Perryman and the most prized trade target, Houston.
Have some more faith in your club guys. We've played off in more than 40 grand finals.
Our club knows what it is doing.
If we didn't do that trade for Schulz last year, we could have had Perryman and Houston and Bailey Smith and Shultz.

Or had Perryman, Shultz, Houston and be taking pick 10 in the super draft.

Why are people buying into the media bullshit about us falling off a cliff? We have a lot of talent on our list even when our ageing stars retire and no doubt have contingency plans for 2026 with players we will target when our war chest is overflowing.
We're preventing a cliff from happening in the next 2 years if we have to retire a bunch of mid 30s players by adding Houston and Perryman in that 26-28 year old group.

Bringing in an 18 year old draftee won't prevent a cliff in 1-2 years but might help in 5 years.

Geelong has been adding players and we have been doing the same for the last two years.

Happy with Houston
I’m with the journos to a large degree.

Yes they’re laying it on thick, but the 2025 version of Collingwood is better than the 2023 version from a playing list perspective. With a “softer” draw, an extended off season break and a healthier list we should be expecting at least a 16+ win season in 2025. From there two finals wins should again be the minimum. In other words they’re right to acknowledge the quality of our additions and suggest we’re chips in on a premiership. That’s the reality of our list build.

Where they’ve completely lost me, and why I’m quoting you, is that we’re no different to Geelong who’ve been loading up in this manner for years. We need one or two of Allan, HDM and Parker to come on (ala Humphries, Dempsey and Henry) plus McGuane not doing a Camporeale twins by dropping right down the draft order will help, but objectively Perryman should be an upgrade on 2024 Pendles and Houston a significant upgrade on Noble. Both upgrades (whilst having access to returning fit players and our experience) will hold us in good stead, IMO.

If we didn't do that trade for Schulz last year, we could have had Perryman and Houston and Bailey Smith and Shultz.

Why don’t you go back and do this for the past 20 years? What fun. And none of that is true. You have no idea what could happen.

I’m sure next season you will be saying “if we didn’t sign perryman we could have got x”

Last edited:
plus McGuane not doing a Camporeale twins by dropping right down the draft order will help
According to Jon Ralph during his draft assessment last night he’s a 30s pick already.

According to Jon Ralph during his draft assessment last night he’s a 30s pick already.
He needs to stay in his lane on that stuff.

One other point that’s doing my head in is the love for Carlton. The narrative is “yeah they’ve invested a lot, but they’ll get a gun mid” no the draft doesn’t work like that. They’ve invested roughly twice as much into drafting Finn O’Sullivan as we did into trading in Houston. They’ve made twice the investment into a guy that’s long odds of ever having an AA season and if he does it probably won’t be until Houston has retired and been replaced by a gun FA.

I’m not one to rain on the parade of other clubs, but they’ve got average depth, no quality small forwards (I like Fogarty, but he’s a Jarryd Blair clone), a shaky defence and no cap room if they want to retain TDK. Despite all that they’ve extended their premiership window according to Ralphy…

Last edited:
You know what the irony is in all of this? Houston wanted a better deal because are overpaying Esava who wouldn't even tie his bootlaces.

Geelong used the Esava pick to snag Lawson Humphries who is a jet. Port are making all these mistakes on their own doing.

Meanwhile, we are set to rectify 2024 by hitting the ground running, with a jet of our own.

I understand young Harry DeMattia didn't exactly set the world on fire in his first year on the list, but it's important to acknowledge that we DID in fact get something in return for not trading last year's pick, and that's almost entirely ignored.

If Harry actually has a huge pre-season, gets some continuity, and becomes a decent AFL player, all the crying and moaning about the Schultz deal will die down.

Seems a bit unfair to leave him out of calculations entirely, and to write that off as a wasted effort already.

I think Carlton have gone backwards. Owies and Kennedy kicked 49 goals between them this year, who is going to pick up the slack here? Also losing Kennedys presence in the centre as well.

There is no guarantee that who they get at pick 3 will even play in 25, yet alone become a top player.

Carlton to finish outside the 8 in 25.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand young Harry DeMattia didn't exactly set the world on fire in his first year on the list, but it's important to acknowledge that we DID in fact get something in return for not trading last year's pick, and that's almost entirely ignored.

If Harry actually has a huge pre-season, gets some continuity, and becomes a decent AFL player, all the crying and moaning about the Schultz deal will die down.

Seems a bit unfair to leave him out of calculations entirely, and to write that off as a wasted effort already.
I was pretty heartened by his final two outings at VFL level. He is still very young, and in my view was playing better than Ryan to end the year

I think Carlton have gone backwards. Owies and Kennedy kicked 49 goals between them this year, who is going to pick up the slack here? Also losing Kennedys presence in the centre as well.

There is no guarantee that who they get at pick 3 will even play in 25, yet alone become a top player.

No but according to Ralphy, trading out five picks to get one pick puts them back in premiership contention.

Collingwood getting an elite 2 time AA HB, not premiership contention

I’m leaning towards Membrey as our depth kpp. Not only is he a better player than Tomlinson, I think it’s our forward line that’s most vulnerable if we suffer injuries.

The much maligned Frampton as well as Dean can hold down the fort in defence if needed. Plus potentially at least, Eyre, and we always have Maynard who has no qualms putting his hand up to play tall.
I think this is the way
We can’t afford to add two over 30’s
Frampton in form and confidence is better than Tomlinson
Dean is improving

Carlton are like Melbourne and the Dogs, to focused on contested ball with no outside run. The game has changed to a transition game with fast ball movement out of the defensive half, which Hawthorn demonstrated in th back half of the year.

I agree, Carlton are more likely to regress given they have don't nothing to address that. Cripps and Walsh are beasts, but slow and terrible disposal. Cerra injured, Hewitt slow, they have too many of the same player which is why Kennedy left.

You know what the irony is in all of this? Houston wanted a better deal because are overpaying Esava who wouldn't even tie his bootlaces.

Geelong used the Esava pick to snag Lawson Humphries who is a jet. Port are making all these mistakes on their own doing.

Meanwhile, we are set to rectify 2024 by hitting the ground running, with a jet of our own.
Very underrated point.

Even Kane alluded to this in his rant when he suggested Port should just hold on to Houston because they have him tied to a contract that was in favourable terms for port. Maybe if they had just given him an increased package offer after back to back AAs they might have been able to hold him. In terms of value for money Esava must be one of the worst contracts in the AFL

How long will this promise of a new Carlton dawn be spewed by the media and still they are yet to even play in a grand final in the last thirty years. What's the point of a premiership window if you can never climb through it? Bring on 2025 please.
The played off in 1999 against norff

I was pretty heartened by his final two outings at VFL level. He is still very young, and in my view was playing better than Ryan to end the year
Jakob Ryan is one that I was absolutely baffled by last year. Played well enough in the reserves to earn a senior debut late in 2023, and was accordingly awarded Best First Year player, and then last year, looked worse than pretty much all of our VFL listed defenders.

I don't know how he went so far backwards, or if his form is recoverable, but it would be a serious shame if he just never pulled out of that tailspin and was useless from here on out, particularly given that he signed a two year contract extension in July of 2023, so he's contracted until 2026.

If he doesn't show more in 2025 than he did in 2024, these last two years of his contract are going to be wild to get through.

No, you have failed to notice Smith ended up at Geelong and pick 10 would have gone towards Houston. If you want to be really serious about being wrong you should have said that pick 10 could have been put in a bundle towards Petracca. Ps Track also not being traded.

He needs to stay in his lean on that stuff.

One other point that’s doing my head in is the love for Carlton. The narrative is “yeah they’ve invested a lot, but they’ll get a gun mid” no the draft doesn’t work like that. They’ve invested roughly twice as much into drafting Finn O’Sullivan as we did into trading in Houston. They’ve made twice the investment into a guy that’s long odds of ever having an AA season and if he does it probably won’t be until Houston has retired and been replaced by a gun FA.

I’m not one to rain on the parade of other clubs, but they’ve got average depth, no quality small forwards (I like Fogarty, but he’s a Jarryd Blair clone), a shaky defence and no cap room if they want to retain TDK. Despite all that they’ve extended their premiership window according to Ralphy…
They had a chance to open a premiership window, but instead chose to reduce the likelihood of opening a spoon window in 7 years time.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back