List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah? Let me know the last time a player of his quality left as a restricted free agent? Makes no sense for Nth not to match any bids and then trade. And the it will require 2x early firsts.

No wonder we always have complaining fans. Gotta have rocks in your head to think we are in a position to get LDU.
How did JHF leave? Don't know the circumstances.
LDU , I agree. We don't have 2 firsts to give.
Some other club may though.

I'm agreeing somewhat. LDU a pipedream for Collingwood.

Yeah? Let me know the last time a player of his quality left as a restricted free agent? Makes no sense for Nth not to match any bids and then trade. And the it will require 2x early firsts.

No wonder we always have complaining fans. Gotta have rocks in your head to think we are in a position to get LDU.
The Crows fluffed Geelongs balls with a pissweak trade instead of Danger going through FA

How did JHF leave? Don't know the circumstances.
LDU , I agree. We don't have 2 firsts to give.
Some other club may though.

I'm agreeing somewhat. LDU a pipedream for Collingwood.

Port gave up x2 first round pics to get JHF who was less proven than LDU.

It's just nonsense. We have no first round pick. The only way we get LDU is trading Moore, DeGoey or Naicos. Pipedream.

Not many? I don’t think there’s been a more expensive trade in league history off the top of my head, outside of Judd to Carlton which was pick 3, Kennedy (previous years pick 3), and pick 20 for Judd and 46.
I can’t think of any other trade giving up multiple first rounders without getting at least a second round back.
To me, two first rounders, a second rounder and a player should be a trade that gets a top 3 player in the league under contract. That’s the type of trade Melbourne would have accepted for Petracca and they spent it all on a draft pick! It’s absolute madness and I can’t believe the media are praising them for it, because the same trade for a top 5 player in the league would be described as paying overs.
Spot on
I cannot believe they didn’t take 12+14 to the draft
I was a little bit jealous - now, pick 3 for the bounty you stated - crazy times and no one in the media seems to have blinked

Not many? I don’t think there’s been a more expensive trade in league history off the top of my head, outside of Judd to Carlton which was pick 3, Kennedy (previous years pick 3), and pick 20 for Judd and 46.
I can’t think of any other trade giving up multiple first rounders without getting at least a second round back.
To me, two first rounders, a second rounder and a player should be a trade that gets a top 3 player in the league under contract. That’s the type of trade Melbourne would have accepted for Petracca and they spent it all on a draft pick! It’s absolute madness and I can’t believe the media are praising them for it, because the same trade for a top 5 player in the league would be described as paying overs.
bait.gif

Stephen O'Reilly for - Pick 16, pick 46, $1m fine, pick 1, 2, 17 and 33 in the 2003 draft, pick 1 in the 2003 PSD, 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2004 draft.

Those early picks are just so coveted.

In the Tom Green draft, GWS ended up paying 3 first round picks to get up to pick 3 to make sure they got a pick before a bid on Green. I can't remember who they took, but he's no Jeremy Cameron.
I mean, at least they could sort of justify that because it meant that they got 2 supposedly super high end prospects vs 3 standard high end prospects?
Banking it all on one kid though… 😬

Knowing that a club can spend more on a single top 3 pick than Geelong paid for prime Cameron, and then get praised for it is pretty astonishing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure of the school level of the peeps around here...if he is a restricted free agent, North can just match. And North would have the most free cap space in the comp. It would take a miracle to pry him out without offering North something like two early round firsts. Something we don't have.

Give it up, LDU won't be at the Pies.
It’s weird that you’re questioning the school level of people on here but can’t seem to get your head around the idea that if North are bottom 3 and LDU nominates a top 4 side it’s not in their best interests to match.

I mean, they’re not going to match with the intent to keep him, because no clubs are going to try to force a player who doesn’t want to be there to stay, and North will be able to offer a similar or better contract to him before the FA period rolls around, so if it’s about money he probably just signs on earlier.

This exact scenario played out with Tom Lynch back when he moved to Richmond. People screamed that they should match a bid but GC knew that they’d never get equal value in a trade compared to FA compo. History tells us that clubs will only match a bid if they feel they’re better off with a trade than with the compo available, and so far that’s been Dangerfield and Cameron both to Geelong funnily enough. So if North have the option of a top 3-5 pick as compo vs maybe 2 late first round picks from a contender in what are becoming increasingly compromised drafts, guess what they’re picking?

Tom Lynch.

bait.gif

Stephen O'Reilly for - Pick 16, pick 46, $1m fine, pick 1, 2, 17 and 33 in the 2003 draft, pick 1 in the 2003 PSD, 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2004 draft.
Well done Mr Husky Spider.

Port gave up x2 first round pics to get JHF who was less proven than LDU.

It's just nonsense. We have no first round pick. The only way we get LDU is trading Moore, DeGoey or Naicos. Pipedream.
People said Houston was a pipe dream.
Next minute…

People said Houston was a pipe dream.
Next minute…

Someone asked early in the trade period whether we could end up with all of Perryman, Peatling and Houston. I said “no” and was pretty dismissive to be honest, but it nearly happened!

Agree, I don't think LDU is the perfect target for us others think he is. That defensive mid is the bigger concern for us, we've relied on pendlebury in this role, titch to a lesser extent and at times tried long, macrae and co in there. I think we've targeted perryman to help round that group out.

If we hit FA next year I think brayshaw or richards are better "all rounder" mids, and a key defender or forward are potentially bigger priorities-not sure if there are many in the fa class. Howe strikes me as the hardest of our vets to replace.
I think we've already got our man. It will be Perryman. We'll now be looking to fill KPD (maybe KPF).

Last edited:
2025 FREE AGENCY LIST
*Qualifies as previously delisted
^Qualifies as previously moving clubs as a free agent

ADELAIDE
Matt Crouch
Darcy Fogarty
Wayne Milera
Lachie Murphy
Reilly O'Brien
Brodie Smith
Taylor Walker

BRISBANE
Joe Daniher^
Darcy Gardiner
Ryan Lester
Cam Rayner
Brandon Starcevich
Dayne Zorko

CARLTON
Tom De Koning
Sam Docherty
George Hewett^
Jack Silvagni
Jacob Weitering
Orazio Fantasia*
Matt Kennedy

COLLINGWOOD
Mason Cox
Jamie Elliott
Will Hoskin-Elliott
Jeremy Howe
Brayden Maynard
Brody Mihocek
Scott Pendlebury
Steele Sidebottom
Oleg Markov*

ESSENDON
Sam Draper
Jayden Laverde
Jake Stringer

FREMANTLE
Andrew Brayshaw
Nat Fyfe
Oscar McDonald*
Alex Pearce
Jeremy Sharp*
Michael Walters

GEELONG
Mark Blicavs
Jeremy Cameron^
Tom Atkins

GOLD COAST
Rory Atkins ^
Sam Collins*
Brayden Fiorini
Sean Lemmens
Alex Sexton
David Swallow
Nick Holman

GWS
Callan Ward
Jacob Wehr*

HAWTHORN
Luke Breust
Jack Gunston
James Worpel
Seamus Mitchell*

MELBOURNE
Jake Melksham
Charlie Spargo

NORTH MELBOURNE
Luke Davies-Uniacke
Brynn Teakle*
Aidan Corr^
Toby Pink*

PORT ADELAIDE
Darcy Byrne-Jones
Tom Clurey
Kane Farrell
Dylan Williams*

RICHMOND
Noah Balta
Tom Lynch^
Dion Prestia

ST KILDA
Zaine Cordy ^
Brad Crouch^
Jimmy Webster
Liam Stocker*
Hunter Clark

SYDNEY
Joel Hamling^
Jake Lloyd
Lewis Melican
Luke Parker
Dane Rampe
Robbie Fox

WEST COAST
Oscar Allen
Tom Cole
Jamie Cripps
Jack Darling
Jayden Hunt^
Jeremy McGovern
Jack Petruccelle
Dom Sheed

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Oskar Baker*
Marcus Bontempelli
Liam Jones^
Tom Liberatore
Ed Richards
Caleb Poulter*
Lachie Bramble*

Its all false Bigfooty bravado. I spoke to a couple of my Carlton flogs mates today and they even admitted one pick in this years draft aint helping them in the near future or while Cripps is still in his prime. They were spewing we got Houston and didn't want to talk footy much after that
Carlton’s strategy was very much for medium term and not for the now.
Had they wanted to when they held picks 12 & 14, they could have made a play for both Houston and Bailey Smith. May have involved a player and future picks but not impossible. We proved that.
Haynes won’t move the needle for them like Houston could. It’s frightening to think how much Houston would have transformed their transition from D50 to F50 giving Curnow and McKay better and more numerous opportunities.

Tom Lynch

You’re effectively saying north would rather lose LDU for nothing in the draft than accept the first round compo if he chose Collingwood

Last edited:
Have to laugh at Carlton fans bragging about going to the draft over going all in for a flag. At least we have a flag in the bank to go down this route.
Hopefully they continue to play it safe and we get to enjoy them having another 30 years of zero success.
Yep. Having already won a flag and having Nick at 21, us making a move similar to Carlton and hitting the draft this year would have made more sense than it does for them. The opening up of a great trade option, took this off the table.

Only justification I can see for Carlton is their cap is bursting or they knew Houston preferred Pies. A club with such a long flag drought needs to be pushing hard now that they finally have a half way decent list.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back