List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

To combine both ongoing discussions here, with Dean and Long still uncontacted (Reef is too, but my preference would be to give him a one year deal to trial him as a defender), if you'd ask me whether I'd rather have Jack Carroll and Adam Tomlinson than Ned Long and Charlie Dean?

I think I'd rather have Carroll and Tomlinson. But the grass is always greener on the other side. And also the only report about our interest in Carroll is likely complete bullshit.

Carroll from Carlton looks a genuine prospect. Clean hands, nice left foot, solid mark and strong tackler. Particularly noticeable is the way he naturally raises his arms and the ball above the height of would-be tackles, so that he almost always manages to get a handball away under pressure.

I want him. Great for our depth. He’s a big upgrade on Macrae and would be a better centre square rotation player than Long, Lipinski and McCreery.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
21 yo, 188 cm, 82 kgs

runs well, kicks it well, hands free to always get handball to a team-mate, reads drop of ball well

surprisingly played 15 games this year for Carlton, going at approx (p/game) 10 disposals, 1.5 tackles and 0.5 goal assists whilst playing only 50% game time.

played changing CS mid option this year but, for mine, also projects as a likely running high HB (JfN style)

definitely worth a look through SSP if available

Am I missing something about Carroll? A midfielder who doesn't tackle, and fails to win clearances nor contested footy. How exactly is he better than Macrae, beyond being different and 9 months younger?

They had almost identically mediocre seasons in 2024.
I read somewhere in this thread he has pace and skills, or maybe it’s was just pace. Either way it’s puts him in front of Macrae.

Am I missing something about Carroll? A midfielder who doesn't tackle, and fails to win clearances nor contested footy. How exactly is he better than Macrae, beyond being different and 9 months younger?

They had almost identically mediocre seasons in 2024.
I agree with you in terms of midfield, but the difference for me is that Carroll looks like he should be able to play defence or wing.

I read somewhere in this thread he has pace and skills, or maybe it’s was just pace. Either way it’s puts him in front of Macrae.
From what I've seen, I'm not sure either of those things are real points of difference. Didn't seem to have much breakaway speed nor dazzling skills

From what I've seen, I'm not sure either of those things are real points of difference. Didn't seem to have much breakaway speed nor dazzling skills

I stand by my analysis of;

conor-mc-gregor-who-the-fook-is-that-guy.gif

That's fair - he just reeks of Bytel to me
He plays with more intent when he's got the footy. I'd prefer him to Long as I think the extra depth in a wing or running back role is more needed than another depth inside mid alongside Finn and Sullivan, but not particularly fussed either way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tomlinson makes Tomlinson look like Tomlinson

He’s a spud. I can’t wrap my head around why he continues to be so popular.

I’d rather somebody than nobody, and at least he boosts depth. But he’s far from inspiring

Not sure what your point is with that rant. Regardless, Tomlinson is far better than Clurey.

Be interesting why the club has not announced re signings of the remaining 3. Might be more to do with Sullivan and his camp leaking to media than anything else

He has shown more than Macrae at AFL level but it is close, I think he has more pace and more of an outside game which probably shows his skills off as well.

I personally think Macrae won't make it as an inside mid but maybe playing a Lipinski type role. Honestly would love to be wrong, if he turned in to a Rowbottom that would be amazing but probably won't happen.

More info if you are interested in Carroll

Edit: I have a feeling we were linked to Carroll in his draft year

Be interesting why the club has not announced re signings of the remaining 3. Might be more to do with Sullivan and his camp leaking to media than anything else
Dont think any other club has yet to announce their re-signings from those left after delistments, so maybe closer to the deadline of the list lodgement next week?

It wasn't until Oct 27 2023, it was announced Begg, Kreuger and Carmy got 1 year extensions

He has shown more than Macrae at AFL level but it is close, I think he has more pace and more of an outside game which probably shows his skills off as well.

I personally think Macrae won't make it as an inside mid but maybe playing a Lipinski type role. Honestly would love to be wrong, if he turned in to a Rowbottom that would be amazing but probably won't happen.

More info if you are interested in Carroll

Edit: I have a feeling we were linked to Carroll in his draft year

Have we actually been linked to this young fella or just wishful thinking?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back