List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Delisted Carlton forward Jack Carroll could land at Fremantle Dockers, West Coast Eagles​

Glen QuartermainThe West Australian
Tue, 22 October 2024 10:30AM

West Coast and Fremantle are among three AFL clubs believed to be interested in West Australian Jack Carroll after the defender was axed by Carlton on Tuesday.

It comes as East Fremantle have also confirmed they would welcome the former Shark back if he did not find an AFL home as a free agent.

The West Australian can reveal the Eagles, Dockers and GWS have already shown interest in the Mid West product, who played 15 games for the Blue this year.
A product of the Sharks’ rich Geraldton recruiting zone, 187cm Carroll is only 21-years-old and can play in a number of positions from wing, midfield, to half-back or half-forward.

He was drafted from the Sharks colts at pick 41 in 2020, and joined a rare club by kicking a goal with his first AFL kick in round seven of the 2022 season.

Carroll played the last 15 games of the home-and-away season with the Blues for a career total of 21 — although he started as the starting sub in seven of those — before he was dropped for the elimination final loss to the Lions at the Gabba.
Blues’ fans viewed Carroll or Cooper Lord as ready-made replacements for Matt Kennedy, who has joined the Western Bulldogs.

Sam Durdin and Matt Carroll were also delisted by the Blues but both have been offered the opportunity to train with the club. Jack Carroll has not been given that assurance.

“Jack leaves the football club with lifelong friendships, which is a testament to the positive contribution he made to the group during his four seasons with us and we wish him well for the next opportunity in his career,” Blues list boss Nick Austin said.

East Fremantle football manager Adrian Bromage said they would like to see the young gun get another chance.
“I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t get picked up, but if he doesn’t then we’d be happy to embrace him and help him to get back in the AFL system.

“It’s a great story coming out of our zone.”

Carroll earned the praise of AFL pundit Jonathan Brown after his Opening Round performance in the Blues’ one-point win over Brisbane at the Gabba, playing a key role in their seven goal to one third quarter.
“I liked young Carroll,” Brown told On the Couch.

“(He) Was thrown in the deep end at half-time, did the first centre bounce and was the highest-rated player on the ground in that pivotal third quarter, kicked a goal and was fantastic so he is one to watch.”

Carroll is the latest in a number of West Ausralians to be cut this off-season, with Port Adelaide not renewing the contract of Quinton Narkle, who looks set to join Fremantle.

Hawthorn defender and former first-round selection Denver Grainger-Barras has had interest from West Coast and Carlton since being axed last week.

Delisted Carlton forward Jack Carroll could land at Fremantle Dockers, West Coast Eagles​

West Coast and Fremantle are among three AFL clubs believed to be interested in West Australian Jack Carroll after the defender was axed by Carlton on Tuesday.

It comes as East Fremantle have also confirmed they would welcome the former Shark back if he did not find an AFL home as a free agent.

The West Australian can reveal the Eagles, Dockers and GWS have already shown interest in the Mid West product, who played 15 games for the Blue this year.
A product of the Sharks’ rich Geraldton recruiting zone, 187cm Carroll is only 21-years-old and can play in a number of positions from wing, midfield, to half-back or half-forward.

He was drafted from the Sharks colts at pick 41 in 2020, and joined a rare club by kicking a goal with his first AFL kick in round seven of the 2022 season.

Carroll played the last 15 games of the home-and-away season with the Blues for a career total of 21 — although he started as the starting sub in seven of those — before he was dropped for the elimination final loss to the Lions at the Gabba.
Blues’ fans viewed Carroll or Cooper Lord as ready-made replacements for Matt Kennedy, who has joined the Western Bulldogs.

Sam Durdin and Matt Carroll were also delisted by the Blues but both have been offered the opportunity to train with the club. Jack Carroll has not been given that assurance.

“Jack leaves the football club with lifelong friendships, which is a testament to the positive contribution he made to the group during his four seasons with us and we wish him well for the next opportunity in his career,” Blues list boss Nick Austin said.

East Fremantle football manager Adrian Bromage said they would like to see the young gun get another chance.
“I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t get picked up, but if he doesn’t then we’d be happy to embrace him and help him to get back in the AFL system.

Carroll earned the praise of AFL pundit Jonathan Brown after his Opening Round performance in the Blues’ one-point win over Brisbane at the Gabba, playing a key role in their seven goal to one third quarter.

“(He) Was thrown in the deep end at half-time, did the first centre bounce and was the highest-rated player on the ground in that pivotal third quarter, kicked a goal and was fantastic so he is one to watch.”

Carroll is the latest in a number of West Ausralians to be cut this off-season, with Port Adelaide not renewing the contract of Quinton Narkle, who looks set to join Fremantle.

Hawthorn defender and former first-round selection Denver Grainger-Barras has had interest from West Coast and Carlton since being axed last week.
We're not mentioned. We can put that to sleep then.

That means he missed the kick. That page is ran by a Blues nuff so it's really only about the 'good' in games. Cuts out anything shite

Matt has no relation, he's battled OP all year but apparently the club rate him. Think it's more just seeing if he can physically get through the training loads required before making a decision as a train on player over pre season. He didn't play a game at any level this year and barely made it out to training.

Nice to see my old sparring partner drop in for a visit.

Am I missing something about Carroll? A midfielder who doesn't tackle, and fails to win clearances nor contested footy. How exactly is he better than Macrae, beyond being different and 9 months younger?

They had almost identically mediocre seasons in 2024.

Did you watch the video highlights, or just look at stats? If you watched it, I cannot see how you could reach that assessment.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Carroll is completely left sided unlike McCrae who is excellent on both sides of his body. Both have good hands.
Pace maybe a marginal advantage to Carroll - but being the 2 sided is a huge advantage so I'd pick Macrae.

“excellent on both sides of his body” might be overstating it a smidge. He might kick it well at training and even the VFL but so far at AFL level, Fin has tended to rush his disposals in a bit of a panic. Carroll looks much more composed, IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“excellent on both sides of his body” might be overstating it a smidge. He might kick it well at training and even the VFL but so far at AFL level, Fin has tended to rush his disposals in a bit of a panic. Carroll looks much more composed, IMO.

Lot of hack kicks out of stoppage in the VFL unfortunately. Very Grundy like tbh. Neither macrae or Carroll are the answer. Back in long and demattia.

I find this whole narrative around Carrol very confusing…played 15 games this year and a team that made finals, and is now delisted as a 21 yo. Has plenty of quail out attributes according to some posters… so what’s the issue?

I’m sensing something is off.

Yea I can absolutely second that the freo mob are OK but the Eagles crowd are insane mainly poms with shrines in their houses in my experience
Plus, WAY too many whitey 'refugees' from 'Rhodesia' & apartheid-era South Africa for my liking. I met a lot of them through work - supremicist scumbags.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back