List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

AJ was but Macrae wasn’t.

As mentioned above that pre-season looked solid, I wasn't fussed with him getting a deal at the time as that's what clubs generally do to give a young kid they rate a bit of breathing room to develop, instead of having them sweat over losing their spot.

AJ and Macrae were both looking like taking a big step forward when they were given those two year extensions, it not playing out that way doesn't mean that we should start second-guessing those list management decisions with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight.
Macrae got a one year extension for next year just before the start of this year. It was an unusual one.

AJ and Macrae were both looking like taking a big step forward when they were given those two year extensions, it not playing out that way doesn't mean that we should start second-guessing those list management decisions with the benefit of 20-20 hindsight.
I think the Macrae as an inside mid experiment should be over, I don't mind him playing the Lipinksi role or as a bit of a curveball he play a James Jordan type role. Not in best 22 but if needed I would prefer in him in either Lipinski or James Jordan role.

Your question pertains to whether or not we can add someone new to the list though, right?

We can't do that. The only way we can not use 3 national draft picks is if we promote a rookie to the senior list, but then we're just taking a rookie draft pick or an SSP selection.
It really depends on whether there are three draftees that we want available at our picks, in which case we'd probably use all three picks.
Otherwise we would hold one over for a rookie/SSP selection.

As mentioned above that pre-season looked solid, I wasn't fussed with him getting a deal at the time as that's what clubs generally do to give a young kid they rate a bit of breathing room to develop, instead of having them sweat over losing their spot.
It was a bit of an each way bet given so early in the season and only 1 year. I wonder whether his management may have pushed for something early and been told only 1 year was on offer. Bird in the hand so to speak. If so he was wise to sign on

My wife’s family are Carlton supporters (she’s a Pies convert), so I have had the misfortune of watching more Carlton games than I’d like. So I’ve seen a bit of Carroll this year and he showed a lot more than I’ve ever seen from Macrae across his ~20 games for us. And I reckon Carroll offers more than Long too.

So, if I had the choice, I’d prefer Carroll over Macrae/Long but I do agree, none of them are needle-movers in terms of winning a Premiership.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Good work on the wife thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we re-contracted AJ, he was in the seniors and really promising. He was a definite re-sign. The only question was how many years? Manager did well and he got one more than he should have.

With Macrae we extended a bloke who hadn't done anything at senior level yet, coming into his 4th year. We extended him on the back of a promising preseason. No reason to not wait a couple of months or more to make a decision.

AJ is more likely to have got an extension to keep Hill happy and settled than Sullivan re Houston.

It's three additions to the senior list either by live ND picks, or with one or more rookie promotions which need to submitted to the AFL prior to the draft. We can't hang onto one of those spots we're required to fill for later.
Sure, but we can promote a rookie into one & keep a spot open on the rookie list.

Stuff drafting 18 year olds when there are all these delisted blokes available.
Further to that
Last year I learnt that first rounders are essentially second rounders and this year I learnt it’s better to have picks in the 50s because Swan was drafted in the 50s

Stuff drafting 18 year olds when there are all these delisted blokes available.
It's a bit like going through the stuff people put out for hard rubbish collection to see if there's anything worth grabbing.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back