List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely. But another A grade mid won't be forthcoming now. So, we need to try to find someone, somewhere among the delisted, rookies...whatever...just a full bore inside mid...who can just go in there full bore and
a) prevent the opposition from flicking it out at our expense
b) feed it out to our advantage - at least sometimes, and if not, kill the ball
c) tackle,tackle,tackle

My worry is that none of our current back up mids have proven that they will be able to carry out this role.
He’s not A grade but I’m hopefully Long has upside.

One such potential diamond in the rough, who is presently uncontracted and somewhat persona non grata, is Josh Fahey at GWS. A bit of a ratbag but X-factor galore.
What is it about 7 gamer Josh Fahey, who has zero AFL highlights on YouTube, and has never had more than 13 disposals in a game, that has you convinced he's got "X-factor galore" and is worth going after?

There's only two things that have come out about him lately: that he's been outed as being the worst offender in a room full of blokes who still think joking about rape, slavery and terrorism is funny, and that before any of that came out, GWS still had no intention of giving him a contract for 2024.

Oh, and he's suspended for the first 4 games of next year. So he's got that going for him.

But none of these are mids in the same vein as Titch - pure in and under superhero.
We would not have won the GF last year without him in the team.
In the list you cite above, there is no one of this kind.
I am hoping maybe that Ned Long can start to grow into it.
Sulli can"t because he isn"t big enough
If we have a big bodied in and under mid - not even of the same calibre of Titch, but just an approximation - that is so much the player we need to spark all our other incredible talent.

Here's a stat for you:

Clearances:
Tom Mitchell: 126
Nick Daicos: 176

And that's with Nick in a new role, the team playing 3 less games and Nick only becoming our main target after Anzac Day and without mentioning how much more dangerous many of Nick's clearances are.

I think we'll continue to go WCE Judd tactics with Nick and a couple of guys blocking for him.

Last edited:
What is it about 7 gamer Josh Fahey, who has zero AFL highlights on YouTube, and has never had more than 13 disposals in a game, that has you convinced he's got "X-factor galore" and is worth going after?

There's only two things that have come out about him lately: that he's been outed as being the worst offender in a room full of blokes who still think joking about rape, slavery and terrorism is funny, and that before any of that came out, GWS still had no intention of giving him a contract for 2024.

Oh, and he's suspended for the first 4 games of next year. So he's got that going for him.

Yes, he’s no model citizen. We’ve had a few of those over the years who have matured and eventually excelled for us.

I watched a lot of Fahey’s junior footy in Canberra (he played for Queanbeyan). He completely dominated - miles better than everyone else in his age group - and was playing Mens first grade as a 16 year old. Even at that age he could kick goals from 50m on both feet.

He has had several ~40 possession games at VFL level but has been cut-down by injury each time when poised to get a block of games at AFL level. (BTW - GWS hasn’t (yet) delisted him.)

Anyway, it was just an example. We’re not going to recruit him. My real point is that I’d like us to take a bit more risk in the draft in the hope of getting another Swan, Didak, Heater, Tarrant, etc. Derek Hine seems very risk-averse in his selections over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Here's a stat for you:

Clearances:

And that's with Nick in a new role, the team playing 3 less games and Nick only becoming our main target after Anzac Day and without mentioning how much more dangerous many of Nick's clearances are.

I think we'll continue to go WCE Judd tactics with Nick and a couple of guys blocking for him.

He can win his own ball, but 'clearances' aren't 'first possession' (although they can be interelated).

Stats aside, we ideally want a really good 'first possession' at bounces ball magnet to get a cheeky handball to to Daics for the elite 'clearance'.

A younger Tom Mitchell. A drug free Clayton Oliver. Hayden Young from Freo is a ripper on this front. Ed Allen showed something in this regard in the last round (albeit a dead rubber) and we would love him to step up. Can Perryman be that guy? Or get Maynard in the guts?

Without Mitch and Adams this year (and JDG injured a lot), we had times where we got smashed through the guts like after a long evening on the piss followed by a 2am curry from a Bain Marie.

getting another Swan, Didak, Heater, Tarrant, etc. Derek Hine seems very risk-averse in his selections over the years.
This is a very cherry picked view of the situation.

Hine drafted Dale Thomas, Jordan De Goey, Brayden Maynard, Jack Ginnivan and others who've had that in them, because they were talented.

He has no issues drafting players with attitude and mongrel if they're talented.

1729719615231.gif

He can win his own ball, but 'clearances' aren't 'first possession' (although they can be interelated).

Stats aside, we ideally want a really good 'first possession' at bounces ball magnet to get a cheeky handball to to Daics for the elite 'clearance'.

A younger Tom Mitchell. A drug free Clayton Oliver. Hayden Young from Freo is a ripper on this front. Ed Allen showed something in this regard in the last round (albeit a dead rubber) and we would love him to step up. Can Perryman be that guy? Or get Maynard in the guts?

Without Mitch and Adams this year (and JDG injured a lot), we had times where we got smashed through the guts like after a long evening on the piss followed by a 2am curry from a Bain Marie.
They are more than just interrelated. The clearance goes to the first effective handball in a chain that clears stoppage or a kick that clears stoppage if the ball winner kicks it himself. It goes to the ball winner that results in the team clearing stoppage.

In terms of stoppage last year, we actually sucked early when JDG and Titch were playing but not 100%. Then when they went out after Anzac Day we blitzed for a while, taking apart clearance teams like Melbourne and Carlton, until Pendles got injured and then it was just Nick and Crisp in there with blokes like Sullivan and we obviously struggled. Pendles returning and Sidey being added in the end of the year got us back on track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are more than just interrelated. The clearance goes to the first effective handball in a chain that clears stoppage or a kick that clears stoppage if the ball winner kicks it himself. It goes to the ball winner.

In terms of stoppage last year, we actually sucked early when JDG and Titch were playing but not 100%. Then when they went out after Anzac Day we blitzed for a while, taking apart clearance teams like Melbourne and Carlton, until Pendles got injured and then it was just Nick and Crisp in there with blokes like Sullivan and we obviously struggled.

All fair enough!

I still want ball magnet types with sticky hands getting a tiny handball out to Nick for a high efficiency clearance.

All fair enough!

I still want ball magnet types with sticky hands getting a tiny handball out to Nick for a high efficiency clearance.
I also want Nick breaking from stoppage with ball in his hands, but I think we'll get that more often with Nick getting to the rukman's feet, as well as getting others breaking from stoppage more often after Nick handballs have put them in the clear.

To me, this is Nick's progression:

Y1 develops into one of the best outside players in the league
Y2 becomes the best outside player in the league and starts developing his inside game
Y3 develops into one of the best inside players in the league - and he was last year

Y4 he'll become the best inside player in the league as well as being the best outside player in the league.

He's ****ing extraordinary.

Here's a stat for you:

Clearances:

spot on.
We already did this for the entire back half of the year.

This concept of "ball magnet" and first possession is largely now a secondary role for us.
I've been massive on this for 2 years.

Nick is the "on the move, hit to guy" that is one and done. He's replace JDG in that role and he's better at it.
He's so agile and quick of feet and hand that he turns 50/50 balls others wouldn't get into a clearance.

If he's stationary at stoppage, he loses. His body just isn't big enough.
But on the move he is lethal.

Given he is going to be the target more often than not, everyone else is about providing cover defensively and being in a position to compete /win it when Nick doesn't get it.
So i'm not as fussed around requiring a clearance player as most are.
We have plenty of bodies that can fulfill that role.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back