List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a tall skinny kid who is miles off AFL standard. He was a long shot when drafted. Got hype on here for kicking goals in U18s - but SA U18s is below APS standard. There are no off-field issues.
This is what I said at the time. He was just too tall for under 18's, as were a couple of others like Jefferson and would be another reason why I'd be wary of the Whitlock twins. 195cm ish is the better option if you want a KPP.

This is what I said at the time. He was just too tall for under 18's, as were a couple of others like Jefferson and would be another reason why I'd be wary of the Whitlock twins. 195cm ish is the better option if you want a KPP.
Sam Darcy going okay at 207cm
I think it varies from player to player

I heard McStay talking about how difficult it is for a tall to go from juniors to seniors and how much you have to change your game. He was saying that in juniors if you're tall or read it better, you just jump up and mark it, but once you transition into senior footy, the defenders do early body work and they don't let you near the footy, you've got to learn to be really aggressive with your own early body work.

It's probably a reason why someone like Logan Morris was able to come in so quickly - he doesn't have those advantages, so he would already have had to learn to body blokes to get to the footy.

Uhhh, do you mean this Jefferson?
1729812350541.png

Not sure you’ve helped your case a lot there.

Surely if they increased the size of the bench by 25% they'd have to increase rotations as well?

Why? They capped rotations to bring in more fatigue and open the game up. An extra on the bench instead of a sub won't be designed to get blokes fresher. Considering the reason for the rotation cap, if anything it would lead to them dropping rotations a bit.

I heard McStay talking about how difficult it is for a tall to go from juniors to seniors and how much you have to change your game. He was saying that in juniors if you're tall or read it better, you just jump up and mark it, but once you transition into senior footy, the defenders do early body work and they don't let you near the footy, you've got to learn to be really aggressive with your own early body work.

It's probably a reason why someone like Logan Morris was able to come in so quickly - he doesn't have those advantages, so he would already have had to learn to body blokes to get to the footy.
Great comment and exactly why talls take a few years to develop. Forward craft for the big guys is crucial which always amazes me that guys like Matthew Lloyd, Fev, Nick Reiwoldt etc, etc aren’t tapped into more just for the KPF at footy clubs. Even on a part time basis

Great comment and exactly why talls take a few years to develop. Forward craft for the big guys is crucial which always amazes me that guys like Matthew Lloyd, Fev, Nick Reiwoldt etc, etc aren’t tapped into more just for the KPF at footy clubs. Even on a part time basis
Yeah. McStay went on to give credit to Jonno Brown for teaching him how to be an AFL tall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah. McStay went on to give credit to Jonno Brown for teaching him how to be an AFL tall.
Armstrong credits Lloyd who was his coach at school

THE KEY FORWARD WHO ‘COPIED’ ESSENDON CHAMPION’S ROUTINE

The best key forward in this year’s draft class copied the goalkicking approach of a former Essendon champion but could instead be pulling on a Melbourne jumper next year.

Recruiters lauded Harry Armstrong for his marking this season, along with the fact that he “kicks goals, not behinds” when opportunities present.

That has not always been the case, though, with Armstrong being forced to get to work on his goalkicking last year.

He regularly stayed back after training and worked to bed down a routine with his school coach at Haileybury College, Matthew Lloyd.

“It wasn’t always natural. It’s something I’ve worked hard at,” Armstrong said of his goalkicking.

“It’s pretty much thanks to Lloydy, to be honest. Last year I kicked a lot of points and then I got to work on it after almost every training session with Lloydy. He showed me the technique he thought was best and I just copied it, pretty much. It hasn’t let me down so far.”

Across three games for Vic Metro during the under-18 national championships this year, Armstrong kicked 9.3 at 75 per cent accuracy.
In the Coates Talent League with the Sandringham Dragons he kicked 27 goals at 61.4 per cent accuracy, while there was also a 10-goal haul for Haileybury this year.

“He’s been an inspiration,” Armstrong said of Lloyd.

“I’ve learnt so much from him as well. Playing as a key forward, having him as your coach, there wouldn’t be too many better. He’s so invested and I’ve got so much out of him.”

A Geelong fan, Armstrong models his game on Jeremy Cameron and similarly works hard up the ground to provide a marking option.

The 195cm forward’s contested marking stood out this year, along with his speed, athleticism and an improved ground ball game.

Rival clubs believe Melbourne (pick five) could be first to pounce on Armstrong in next month’s draft, potentially getting in before St Kilda.

Armstrong said he felt he had developed strongly this year after not being exposed to the Coates Talent League in 2023 due to a “random” hip infection late in the season.

“Coming in this year I was just wanting to play as many games as possible,” he said.

“The more games I played, the more confident I was in myself.”

I think he's free to go once his current contract expires, because he's a DFA.
I thought the same, but a flow chart I saw had players in his boat (previously delisted but on a list) only available in this period if they'd been delisted again - previously delisted, according to that chart made him avaialable in the trade FA signing block, but not this one. The chart was a couple of years old so may have changed.

This is a big reason why the 3rd tall with genuine forward craft and good hands are becoming so important.

I'm sure he's taller than that. Either way he's not much chop.
Nah he’s not. I remember there being debate around his size in his draft year, quite a few people saying he wasn’t tall enough (which is nonsense obviously).

This is a big reason why the 3rd tall with genuine forward craft and good hands are becoming so important.
I think we need to re-name 3rd tall.

To me Morris played this year because Daniher was the second ruck, but for a lot of teams the third tall is the second ruck. Starts on the bench rotates into the ruck and then moves forward - chopping out one of the forwards. Guys like Henry and Morris work in their teams because they do second ruck differently to most teams. Morris will be an interesting watch next year without Joey in the team.

Teams aren't really playing 2 mark and kick blokes anymore - they want the second one to have a more complete game. The actual second tall has become like what we call a "third tall". One genuine big bloke. A forward/ruck and a bloke who can compete in the air but also get up the ground, turn his man and beat him back into 50 and has a ground level game. I think that's the set up most teams would choose if they have the players.

Last edited:

Him having daniher and hipwood in helped taking the best KPDs and he played more as a mobile lead up type rather than crash the pack bring it to ground/one on one body type.
Speaking of lions I'd look at Jaxon Prior for a dfa

Him having daniher and hipwood in helped taking the best KPDs and he played more as a mobile lead up type rather than crash the pack bring it to ground/one on one body type.
Speaking of lions I'd look at Jaxon Prior for a dfa

Most teams don't have all 3 of their forwards on together that much. One usually starts on the bench and then comes on either as the direct ruck rotation or part of it - so they still usually get one of the best 2 defenders who don't rotate very often.

I think it's more the planning and focus that can make it a bit easier rather than having a lesser defender. Defenders are planning for Hipwood and Daniher - not Morris. Whereas with Joey gone - if they play a second ruck, he'll probably be a starter and one of the two main guys who the main planning will go into.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back