List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

That doesn’t answer why they never offered him a deal in the first place though.
It’s just a bizarre set of circumstances to let a 30 year old forward go who’s still clearly got a couple of years left in him.
This article says he was offered a 1 year contract but also told he could explore his options elsewhere.

Not sure how accurate it is, because other articles state he was in limbo & not offered a contract for next year..

I think there was an article saying they offered one year, but he wanted 2.
It's kind of comforting to know that if Checkers or McStay get injured we have Membrey as a back up. I think all 3 will play together, don't know how that looks though. It's much better than freddy, AJ or Frampton

It hasn't been reported anywhere that we offered him 2 years.

I'm not sure if that article is correct because it contracts every other article which said he wasn't offered a contract by Saints at all.

Won't get any Answers until 1st of November

It's kind of comforting to know that if Checkers or McStay get injured we have Membrey as a back up. I think all 3 will play together, don't know how that looks though. It's much better than freddy, AJ or Frampton
I think they might play them all too. Lippa out. Membrey in Elliott's role and all the smalls rotating through Lippas role.

Depths and options. Fly would be stoked.

This article says he was offered a 1 year contract but also told he could explore his options elsewhere.

Not sure how accurate it is, because other articles state he was in limbo & not offered a contract for next year..
Pretty sure Tom Morris reported that he was never offered a deal, and I despise him but you’ll have to forgive me for taking his word over thesportingnews 😆

QUOTE="SchuPie, post: 85908939, member: 85145"]
Of all the rules, in all of its variations, the worst move by the AFL ever.

Why? Everyone use to complain that an injury early in the game was deciding the match
[/QUOTE]
It doesn’t always decide the match

My objection is it takes away from my pre 90s notion that it’s these guys against those guys and we let it play out

I also despise, as others have mentioned , that we have talemt sit in the bench all game, no playing reserves - it seems counter intuitive

I think it has also ruined the careers of some players
Particularly for us, Ben Kennedy

Feel free to disagree, for mine, the worst rule of the past 40 years (and there’s been some shockers)

With the recruitment of Membrey, we have now covered for depth in F50. After the experiences of this year, we clearly understand how important this is, and we have done so at low cost.

Our forward line is unusual - it is not based on a tall forward colussus, but on the combination of intermediate talls with an armada of small forwards, feeding off ball movement and tackling pressure.

Statistically this year, as others have pointed out, our forward line was deadly in terms of opportunities presented. This will only increase with the addition of Houston to our HB line, who will electrify our ball movement forward.

We are well and truly set up now in F50.

Likewise in D50. We don't have a like for like exactly replacement for Murphy, but with the talent now stacked up in our hb line, we will be rebounding out of there like Darth Vada's laser.

The issue for us is ensuring that we can get the ball into our F50 often enough.

Hence the midfield. With Mitchell in the middle, it is a gun midfield. But how frequently will he be available next year?
We have a myriad of players who can "play through the midfield", but we need one whose assignment is the hard ball gets, to complement all our other stars.

Can one or both of Ned Long and Ed Allan improve over the preseason to the point where they are capable of taking on this role for at least some of the time?

I think the reason we have kept Sulli on the list is that we see him as an approximation for this role, because there is no doubt that Titch will need to be managed.

But he isn't physically big enough to fulfil this role on a regular basis, should we require it.

Are we stIll thinking that Finn mIght be able to take on this role with another preseason? Yet clearly no guarantee of tHIS.

As oTHers have poInted oUT, PerrYman maYbe can play throUgh the midfield. Maybe we are thinking of covering for Mitchell's role with a combination of players who can run through the midfield.

This is plausible, but is it enough? Because in the final analysis, if you have one player who can carry out what 3 or 4 others are assigned to do, you liberate those 3 or 4 others in other directions.

I am rapt with what we have achieved thus far with our trading. It is phenonomenal.

Clearly, the acquisition of Houston, Perryman and Membrey has placed us well and truly in Premiership contention for 2025.

I believe that the final link in the chain is a pure inside mid - Matt Kennedy or Devon Robertson like player.

We won't be able to get one in the draft.

Maybe it comes from within (Maynard ? Allan? Long? Finn? ).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn’t always decide the match

My objection is it takes away from my pre 90s notion that it’s these guys against those guys and we let it play out

I also despise, as others have mentioned , that we have talemt sit in the bench all game, no playing reserves - it seems counter intuitive

I think it has also ruined the careers of some players
Particularly for us, Ben Kennedy

Feel free to disagree, for mine, the worst rule of the past 40 years (and there’s been some shockers)

Ben Kennedy was never going to make it, he was given all the opportunity in the world at Melbourne and still couldn’t make the grade.

I agree it’s a shit rule though, and has certainly hurt the development of Reef imo. Being given only a couple of minutes game time as the sub earlier this year was absolute nonsense.

Last edited:
Heard K Cornes say this morning that McStay is not a true key forward - says he plays a flanker role like Luko

In terms of a style like comparison, that is car crash stuff from the Korn
Often plays out of the goal square…

This is just Kane’s way of processing the fact that his team has Lukosius and that they paid a fortune for him

Membrey will go 30 goals from 20 games.

It doesn’t sound much but the only player with a better goal average this year for Collingwood was Mihocek.

No brainer he starts round 1.

With the recruitment of Membrey, we have now covered for depth in F50. After the experiences of this year, we clearly understand how important this is, and we have done so at low cost.

Our forward line is unusual - it is not based on a tall forward colussus, but on the combination of intermediate talls with an armada of small forwards, feeding off ball movement and tackling pressure.

Statistically this year, as others have pointed out, our forward line was deadly in terms of opportunities presented. This will only increase with the addition of Houston to our HB line, who will electrify our ball movement forward.

We are well and truly set up now in F50.

Likewise in D50. We don't have a like for like exactly replacement for Murphy, but with the talent now stacked up in our hb line, we will be rebounding out of there like Darth Vada's laser.

The issue for us is ensuring that we can get the ball into our F50 often enough.

Hence the midfield. With Mitchell in the middle, it is a gun midfield. But how frequently will he be available next year?
We have a myriad of players who can "play through the midfield", but we need one whose assignment is the hard ball gets, to complement all our other stars.

Can one or both of Ned Long and Ed Allan improve over the preseason to the point where they are capable of taking on this role for at least some of the time?

I think the reason we have kept Sulli on the list is that we see him as an approximation for this role, because there is no doubt that Titch will need to be managed.

But he isn't physically big enough to fulfil this role on a regular basis, should we require it.

Are we stIll thinking that Finn mIght be able to take on this role with another preseason? Yet clearly no guarantee of tHIS.

As oTHers have poInted oUT, PerrYman maYbe can play throUgh the midfield. Maybe we are thinking of covering for Mitchell's role with a combination of players who can run through the midfield.

This is plausible, but is it enough? Because in the final analysis, if you have one player who can carry out what 3 or 4 others are assigned to do, you liberate those 3 or 4 others in other directions.

I am rapt with what we have achieved thus far with our trading. It is phenonomenal.

Clearly, the acquisition of Houston, Perryman and Membrey has placed us well and truly in Premiership contention for 2025.

I believe that the final link in the chain is a pure inside mid - Matt Kennedy or Devon Robertson like player.

We won't be able to get one in the draft.

Maybe it comes from within (Maynard ? Allan? Long? Finn? ).
You are obsessed with an inside mid for some reason.. We’ve just added Houston. Which changes so much of our transition from defence which is a MUCH bigger issue. It also allows j daicos to remain on a wing. We will have Mitchell, degoey and daicos. We are fine.

You are obsessed with an inside mid for some reason.. We’ve just added Houston. Which changes so much of our transition from defence which is a MUCH bigger issue. It also allows j daicos to remain on a wing. We will have Mitchell, degoey and daicos. We are fine.
My point is that we won't have Mitchell i believe for significant sections of the season. He will have to be managed carefully. And injuries will be inevitable.

100%. Jordy's our Kmart Dusty. And McStay is our Vinnie's Hawkins.
Kmart lol.......

In all seriousness though and a little off topic, I still think that Degs has no ceiling given his attributes. We've already seen him destroy games off his own game, wasn't prolific game long in the flag but had unstoppable moments in it.

You all know my thoughts on The Goey.

I don't think we've seen the best most consistent of him yet.

More likely he was told to explore his options, which he did.

We did our due diligence with the medical & I'd say we've offered him a 1 year contract only. Like we do with any of our other older players.
I would think that he would get two years to move clubs and we would have been happy to sign him for 2 years at about 300K a year. He has been really consistant.

My point is that we won't have Mitchell i believe for significant sections of the season. He will have to be managed carefully. And injuries will be inevitable.
Mitchell was great in 2023 and really helped is get a premiership. But I don't think you need to be a big midfielder (like you other post stated) to play that inside mid role. Players like Daicos, Butter and Neale all play a similar role. Mitchell himself is a bit undersized. As nice as he would be if he was fit, I think a combo of Daicos, DeGoey, Crisp, Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Perryman can do the job.

I would think that he would get two years to move clubs and we would have been happy to sign him for 2 years at about 300K a year. He has been really consistant.
Really depends if Saints didn't offer him anything at all & just told him to explore his options elsewhere.

In which case, he'd likely be happy with 1 year.

Either way, I'm glad we picked him up.

Not to make light of it, but Membrey had some serious mental health problems…not just skipping games to avoid drug testing problems…but legit issues. Feel for him and all, but hope we don’t take on an issue. Should really be a minimum chips deal.

Not to make light of it, but Membrey had some serious mental health problems…not just skipping games to avoid drug testing problems…but legit issues. Feel for him and all, but hope we don’t take on an issue. Should really be a minimum chips deal.
I'm sure he's been getting help & been well supported since late last year when it appeared at its worst.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back