List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

If Membrey gets games alongside McStay ands Mihocek, it would most likely mean Cox misses out. Who relieves Cameron in the ruck? Does Billy have to swing ends during games?

If Membrey gets games alongside McStay ands Mihocek, it would most likely mean Cox misses out. Who relieves Cameron in the ruck? Does Billy have to swing ends during games?

The Cox/Cameron debate has been bubbling along for two years. I doubt Cox misses out in our round one best 22, especially if the bench gets expanded to 5 and the sub position binned. But use, mcstay and frampton are both capable enough if they want to go down that path.

With the recruitment of Membrey, we have now covered for depth in F50. After the experiences of this year, we clearly understand how important this is, and we have done so at low cost.

Our forward line is unusual - it is not based on a tall forward colussus, but on the combination of intermediate talls with an armada of small forwards, feeding off ball movement and tackling pressure.

Statistically this year, as others have pointed out, our forward line was deadly in terms of opportunities presented. This will only increase with the addition of Houston to our HB line, who will electrify our ball movement forward.

We are well and truly set up now in F50.

Likewise in D50. We don't have a like for like exactly replacement for Murphy, but with the talent now stacked up in our hb line, we will be rebounding out of there like Darth Vada's laser.

The issue for us is ensuring that we can get the ball into our F50 often enough.

Hence the midfield. With Mitchell in the middle, it is a gun midfield. But how frequently will he be available next year?
We have a myriad of players who can "play through the midfield", but we need one whose assignment is the hard ball gets, to complement all our other stars.

Can one or both of Ned Long and Ed Allan improve over the preseason to the point where they are capable of taking on this role for at least some of the time?

I think the reason we have kept Sulli on the list is that we see him as an approximation for this role, because there is no doubt that Titch will need to be managed.

But he isn't physically big enough to fulfil this role on a regular basis, should we require it.

Are we stIll thinking that Finn mIght be able to take on this role with another preseason? Yet clearly no guarantee of tHIS.

As oTHers have poInted oUT, PerrYman maYbe can play throUgh the midfield. Maybe we are thinking of covering for Mitchell's role with a combination of players who can run through the midfield.

This is plausible, but is it enough? Because in the final analysis, if you have one player who can carry out what 3 or 4 others are assigned to do, you liberate those 3 or 4 others in other directions.

I am rapt with what we have achieved thus far with our trading. It is phenonomenal.

Clearly, the acquisition of Houston, Perryman and Membrey has placed us well and truly in Premiership contention for 2025.

I believe that the final link in the chain is a pure inside mid - Matt Kennedy or Devon Robertson like player.

We won't be able to get one in the draft.

Maybe it comes from within (Maynard ? Allan? Long? Finn? ).

You've gone a year early. Nick is the glittering centre piece of our midfield. We need some smart body players to play with him and we're stacked with them. Pendles, Titch, Sidey, Jordy, Crisp, Perryman. Our midfield will rock. If anything, Titch may struggle to hold his place as he's one of the slowies - the weakness in our midfield group - and the only one who we won't want rotating through a flank. Next year with retirements we may need to add someone if Allan and one of the depth trio don't come on.

I doubt it, unless Cox is injured. If he plays with McStay and Checkers, I think it will be in Elliott's role - with Elliott playing higher up the ground.

We're stacked with options now though.

Injuries and KPD are the only worry.

Ben Kennedy was never going to make it, he was given all the opportunity in the world at Melbourne and still couldn’t make the grade.

I agree it’s a shit rule though, and has certainly hurt the development of Reef imo. Being given only a couple of minutes game time as the sub earlier this year was absolute nonsense.
Agree but my point re BK was that he was never given the opportunity to succeed/ make it with the way he was treated as sub

I don’t care if it’s 22/23 or 30 in the squad, name your team, play them, injuries etc - let the chips fall where they may

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back