List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

But it wasn't just that one article. It was mentioned during trade week.
By who? A saints supporter? Give me something from a journo that’s at least half reputable.
It makes sense to me that reports now saying no contract offer are correct, but he may also have been offered a contract that he didn't want prior to trade week.

We may or may not find out when he does interviews after signing with us.
That makes absolutely no sense. He was either offered a contract or not offered one.

I did several searches and could literally only find one article from the sporting news claiming that Membrey had been offered a 1 year deal but was free to explore him options. It read like it was written by a saints supporter on big footy. Everything else I found says he was not offered a new deal. Show me something even remotely legit and I might change my mind.

Love the Membrey pick up. Addresses our lack of consistent goal kickers. Our age demographic and reliance on a lot of those older players get insurance with Membrey, also Perryman/Houston.

Membrey is a significantly better goal kicker than any of our forwards bar Brody and Brody is 32 yo in 2025. We lack goalkickers. I can see Membrey leading our goalkicking in 2025. Recent years it hasnt been an award very hard to win. He addresses a real need.

With age we have 4 of the oldest 16 players in the comp coming into 2025 and below those 4 we have Brody, Jamie, WHE, Mitchell, Crisp and now Membrey ( who is youngest of that group). Players in their 30s often drop off, and especially 32, 33, 34 etc. We have a big contingent of important players in this group and we have to realistically expect they all cant defy their age and some will drop off in 25.

I think Brody M is one of the bigger risks as he has hammered himself and KPFs dont have great longevity overall. He will be 32 in 2025. Jst had a look at the 32 yos of 2024. There were 27 of them and 9 are now retired. Attrition rate 33%. Almost all of those 9 had seasons well below how their career averages went. A number of the other 18 are only just going heading into 25

Point being that a number of Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Cox, Brody and Jamie in particular can be expected to have a biggish drop off in output in 25 and maybe need replacing in the best 22. Membrey will be integral to replacing the output of some of our older players.

He will be clear best 22 in 2025 for mine.
AFL landscape is pretty odd at the moment in terms of expectations of longevity - 27 year olds are being given 6 year contracts, but 30 year olds are shifted to yearly contracts.

And it's really hard to judge likely longevity by stats, as some teams not in contention start phasing out their oldies before it's necessary as they're planning for years down the track. Sometimes the drop off is simply the player being pushed out of a primary and into a secondary role for future planning reasons.

One thing seems clear though - teams like us who are looking to squeeze every drop out of their veterans are getting output for a lot longer than they used to.

Last edited:
By who? A saints supporter? Give me something from a journo that’s at least half reputable.

That makes absolutely no sense. He was either offered a contract or not offered one.

I did several searches and could literally only find one article from the sporting news claiming that Membrey had been offered a 1 year deal but was free to explore him options. It read like it was written by a saints supporter on big footy. Everything else I found says he was not offered a new deal. Show me something even remotely legit and I might change my mind.
He's a 10 year saints veteran. How does an amicable delisting that helps him get to another club after initially offering him a one year contract not make sense as a theory to you?

I can't remember where I previously read it, but it makes more sense than Saints throwing him on the scrapheap and then showing that they're not totally about the future by picking up Macrae.

A standard delisting of a 30 year old Membrey who finished the year strongly doesn't make sense to me, so I think it's likely that there is more to it than just a standard decision to delist.

I'm just speculating about a scenario that makes the most sense to me, and has been both rumoured and reported - as you do for example when you posit a theory that tigers got great trade value by paying a lot of contract for Rioli and Bolton - which also makes good sense to me, despite their being zero rumours or reports to base it on - unlike this situation.

Last edited:

I would be happy with Cumberland - initially I was no as u remember Dimmo used to have a crack at him all the time for going missing in games etc

However, he is a decent left foot kick and can kick a goal. Would be a good cheap replacement for Richards. Rookie list ?
i struggle with the idea of Cumberland - Harwick constantly criticized him and his lack of discipline. This season he was left out consistently notwithstanding a huge injury list.
So there are huge question marks. Why do we want or need the headaches, given, he is not a gun by any means.

I would be happy with Cumberland - initially I was no as u remember Dimmo used to have a crack at him all the time for going missing in games etc

However, he is a decent left foot kick and can kick a goal. Would be a good cheap replacement for Richards. Rookie list ?
Has zero discipline. Has had many chances at Richmond, because, as you have said, can kick a goal. But obviously hasn’t improved at all in this regard which hurts the team.

The fact they couldn’t even trade him suggests clubs are well aware of his issues.

I agree but I do think both Reef and Long should on our list for another year. Cumberland has some things he needs to work on and be better at but talent is OK. It’s still a No for me, I do think he should get a crack somewhere
I'm also hoping we re-sign Reef, Dean & Long.

And steer clear of the ex Tiger. He's as dumb as dog shit.

If I had to ditch one of the 3 it would be Long. I think he is the most likely to not get an AFL gig. Although after saying that I prefer him to Sullivan who reminds me of J Blair.

You know Mr Cumberland personally?. That's a big call for someone who's never met the bloke. He might be a straight A student as far as you know. As for our 3, they wouldn't get a game anywhere else, hence why no one wanted them during the trade period. I'm only joking about Cumberland but I don't know if he's dumb or not

He's a 10 year saints veteran. How does an amicable delisting that helps him get to another club after initially offering him a one year contract not make sense as a theory to you?
It makes sense for them to offer him a contract. It makes no sense for him to be offered a contract, turn it down, and then wait until after the regular trade and free agency period was over to be picked up as a delisted free agent. It also makes no sense that absolutely no reputable news outlets have reported this supposed 1 year deal if it existed. That’s pretty relevant info. In fact there was one journo who even directly answered that question on Twitter (it was either Morris or Edmund I think) when asked and they very specifically said no, he was never offered a deal.
I can't remember where I previously read it, but it makes more sense than Saints throwing him on the scrapheap and then showing that they're not totally about the future by picking up Macrae.
How convenient, it’s nowhere to be found on the internet and you can’t remember where you read it. Sounds legit.
A standard delisting of a 30 year old Membrey who finished the year strongly doesn't make sense to me, so I think it's likely that there is more to it than just a standard decision to delist.

I'm just speculating about a scenario that makes the most sense to me, and has been both rumoured and reported - as you do for example when you posit a theory that tigers got great trade value by paying a lot of contract for Rioli and Bolton - which also makes good sense to me, despite their being zero rumours or reports to base it on - unlike this situation.
Carlton not offering a contract to Owies after a 30 goal year made no sense either but it happened. Clubs can have their reasons. Maybe they felt he just didn’t fit in to their 22 anymore and they want to give younger players more opportunity in the role.
I could be completely wrong about Richmond and Rioli/Bolton, maybe GC and Freo are just stupid, but supposedly these kind of salary cap deals are more prevalent than are ever reported. Who knows. But I just can’t accept that multiple journalists from reputable outlets would flat out say that he was never offered a deal when in fact he was offered one and then it got taken back in a mutual agreement. That’s actually legitimately interesting information that nobody with half a brain would omit and deny it ever happened, so it confuses me why you’d die on this hill when you can’t even find where you supposedly read this info yourself.

I think Sullivan is safe, not sure about the other 2
Gabelich reported on the afl website that Sullivan has signed a 1 year deal a week ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing worth considering when people question why Saints didn’t seem desperate to keep Membrey is they might be looking to develop some youth for a long term picture. Us on the other hand are about right now. That doesn’t mean they value him any less it’s just that we are at different stages of our ability to contend.

No, no there isn't
I see your cunning plan, suggest there's no interest when really we are balls deep.

shhh-shush.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back