List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Harry seems to have a Long contact, but not a very reliable one, as he was declaring him delisted when he didn't initially get a contract.
You mean there's people posting stuff here based on information that may not be 100% reliable? What next?

I would guess Dean and Reef also know their fate and have been told. For whatever reason (finalising contract details?) this has not been made public

I would guess Dean and Reef also know their fate and have been told. For whatever reason (finalising contract details?) this has not been made public
I think it's possible that they don't know yet. We focus on delisting as though it's a separate decision, but really the only question is who are you going to give your last few contracts to - delisting is just an outcome that occurs if you're not going to contract someone who was contracted last year. It makes sense to wait until you've seen the whole pool of uncontracted guys that can be added before making the final decision on whether you give your final senior list contract to Reef or someone else.

Think reef has more upside and deserves atleast another year. Only issue is, if the squad remains relatively healthy he is going to struggle to break into the side to prove himself.
It just doesn't make sense to have ned long on this list.

Think reef has more upside and deserves atleast another year. Only issue is, if the squad remains relatively healthy he is going to struggle to break into the side to prove himself.

He's 4 years on the list and he's just gone backwards in terms of depth for the position he's been playing. If we do retain him it will probably be for another position, eg defence. He'll be lucky if he gets a contract, as he'll be like a draftee where we don't really know how he'll go and as a defender you wouldn't consider him depth yet - but a draftee whose had 4 years and a fair few opportuinities to make his case. He'll be lucky if he gets a contract, but with his tools there's a fair chance he will. I think it's pretty easy to justify a decision either way on him.

Last edited:
He's 4 years on the list and he's just gone backwards in terms of depth for the position he's been playing. If we do retain him it will probably be for another position, eg defence. He'll be lucky if he gets a contract, as he'll be like a draftee where we don't really know how he'll go and whom you wouldn't consider depth yet - but a draftee whose had 4 years and a fair few opportuinities to make his case. He'll be lucky if he gets a contract, but with his tools there's a fair chance he will.
He has the height to play as a defender, only issue is, is he willing to add more size to play as a defender.
Collingwood may want him to play as a defender, but if he doesn't want to add more size or if he thinks there are clubs out there who are open to giving him a chance to continue as a fwd , he may end up choosing to reject any contract offer put to him from Collingwood.

I'll blow my brains out if I hear someone utter the words "he just needs to work on his tank" ever again regarding Reef. If he stays he's entering his fifth pre-season, it doesn't/shouldn't take that long to build a tank if you're committed.

I'll blow my brains out if I hear someone utter the words "he just needs to work on his tank" ever again regarding Reef. If he stays he's entering his fifth pre-season, it doesn't/shouldn't take that long to build a tank if you're committed.
I think it can take a while with the explosive athletes.

Any love fot Tom Clurey? Same height as Tomlison but about 6 months younger, played all of his career in defence. Good spolier and third man up.

As for Long, I thought he showed a bit in his first few games, with another pre-season and year ahead, he'll learn our systems and structures, something he wouldn't have known at all after being picked up.
Him and Allan, both at 194 could become the big bodied mid, they are both very young and can be easily moulded.

Not five years.
Rayner and Jordy weren't fit enough to play more than part time midfield within their first 5 years, Rayner still isn't. Rankin too. Petracca - 5 years was about when he was.

THey didn't need to play midfield to be highly rated players. The difference is that they were gun forwards, without much endurance. Reef at the moment is a mediocre player, without much endurance.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a fan of what Leppa said the other day when referring to getting some tall depth - they like to use blokes as battering rams. I think Dekka's project talls over the years haven't gotten anywhere near it because he's favoured athleticism, whereas the late guys who do make it tend to be battering rams.

For that reason, I hope we don't take Stumpf who reads like a Dekka tall rather than a battering ram.

McClarty wasn't as athletic. Was average athlete wise.

Dekka issue is he goes for too skinny talls with small frames width wise that play pure lead up roles.

So I agree we need a bloke who loves the contest, if they're are also an athlete all the better. Much higher chance to make it if you are quick/explosive then slow like a Billy Morrison.

McClarty wasn't as athletic. Was average athlete wise.

Dekka issue is he goes for too skinny talls with small frames width wise that play pure lead up roles.

So I agree we need a bloke who loves the contest, if they're are also an athlete all the better. Much higher chance to make it if you are quick/explosive then slow like a Billy Morrison.
They go too early for us.

Yep McLarty was genuinely big - one of the few who Dekka has taken.

Agree, his late tall type has tended to be the skinny very tall athletic ones - McMahon, Macarthy, nearly all the Cat B guys like Tohill. Meanwhile the only late talls he's had a hit with are the undersized robust competitive beasts - Mihocek and Keane looking the goods too.

Yeah maybe, McStay only needs to increase his goal kicking and be used more imo to lift his status from good honest target to kpf gun. He has all the tools to work with.
McStay is a gun in a contested marking situation - one of the best there is, but he's too slow to kick many goals any other way as he struggles to hold seperation.

I don't get why they are so down reef
It's not like he played bad when he was in the seniors
In his limited cameos, he performed reasonably

I went way off him after watching from behind the goals in gather round. He kicked a goal or two, but really did nothing. Just makes decisions too late to influence. Players gone before he decides to chase. No body work in packs to help his teammates out or try to bring it to ground. Doesn't hit up at the ball carrier unless it's a bloke streaming forward in a mile of space where it's fricken obvious. Opponent didn't have to worry about him at all. I'd much prefer to have Schultz at full forward if it came down to it.

But then there was a tv vfl game where he was playing higher up the ground and kept turning with the ball with some really quick steps and setting up goals - **** knows what to do with Reef. I imagine the coaches would find him very frustrating - lots of tools, but he's not a sharp or smart footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back