List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Rayner's a good player however I assume he'll be asking for upwards of $800k a year. If so, he's not good enough to justify spending that much on. As others have noted, he seems to be a bit of a downhill skier.

He came into the AFL with terrible endurance. He's been a slow build, but looks ready to explode and become one of the best in the league.

Some clubs will bet on him with massive offers.

Seeing all those ages in brackets is depressing. :eek:

But thanks for the effort of putting it together.
No different to Geel using the same age analysis.
Thought I’d do some more teams:
Melb clear winner with 18 players Turning 29 or over in 2025.
Carl - 12
BNE, Swans,GWS - 11
Even Freo who are considered a young list have 10
Are we really that bad?

Last edited:

imo he is a disappointment.

this season is his best year with 25 goals from 20 games. that's ordinary for a no 1 pick.
To me he seems to be a player who has the odd game here and there every season where he's unstoppable. Other times his output is average to mediocre. The odd unstoppable game boosts his stats and gives you a glimpse into his potential, however he doesn't seem to be capable of reaching that potential.

It would also in my opinion be a gamble to expect that he could transition into the midfield and play at the level required.

if he came tied with a draft pick, being that we don't really have any, then I'd bring him in.
I think Haynes's contract is up - so no hope of a salary dump with a pick attached.

GWS probably would like to keep him as depth, but he'll likely move for games - with a standard trade of not very much, considering his age and the fact he's playing ressies.

I think Haynes's contract is up - so no hope of a salary dump with a pick attached.

GWS probably would like to keep him as depth, but he'll likely move for games - with a standard trade of not very much, considering his age and the fact he's playing ressies.
If we pay him the average wage, why not bring him in for 2 or 3 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if he came tied with a draft pick, being that we don't really have any, then I'd bring him in.
he's OOC end this year (and i think UFA) so GWS don't need to do anything ..certainly don't need to offer any draft picks cos he simply won't be on their books

ps: i seriously can't see the logic in bringing in anyone > 30 yo and it's not just the age profile ..

fwiw, i genuinely think many are under-estimating that we are not only getting older but way slower across the park. and, for mine, this is one of the reasons why we've struggled with our all-ground shifting zone defence and have been exposed so badly on transition.

he's OOC end this year (and i think UFA) so GWS don't need to do anything ..certainly don't need to offer any draft picks cos he simply won't be on their books

ps: i seriously can't see the logic in bringing in anyone > 30 yo and it's not just the age profile ..

fwiw, i genuinely think many are under-estimating that we are not only getting older but way slower across the park. and, for mine, this is one of the reasons why we've struggled with our all-ground shifting zone defence and have been exposed so badly on transition.
I'm with you 100%, I agree that we're old and slow, and arguably (Nick Daicos aside) have the worst group of under 23's in the league right now. I thought I'd seen posted that Haynes was still contracted, and this could be a dump situation that netted us a pick, ala those deals that Geelong seem to be able to scam every year. I'd love one of them.

We need 5-6 20-23 year olds, across all positions, and quickly, or we may have a few lean years ahead.

He's an intercept half back not a mid and he doesn't need to be a speedster. He played 20 games last year so doesn't have a history of injuries.

If howe falls over next year (if he goes on) its Moore, Frampton and Dean. ouch.

Hynes best was elite and whilst he may never get back to it he would still be a very good rental for a year or 2.

I'd like to see us target Lukosius. Right age profile in a position of need (KPF/KPD) with uptapped talent upside.

A potential win/win trade could be:

Pies trade: Future first, 2024 2nd round, 2x 2024 3rd rounds

Pies receive: Lukosius, GC pick 12, GC future 2nd

Based on current standings, our picks this year will match the points of GC pick 12 for their academy player Lombard whilst they get to upgrade their future 2nd for a future ~pick 8 for Lukosius. We can use 2x 2nd rounders next year to match Mcguane and maybe look to stockpile another future 2nd if we end up trading a Richards/Macrae/Reef type.

Any thoughts on Denver Grainger-Barrass? A former Pick 6 (2020) albeit one who has struggled with injury, most recently turf toe. He is out of contract at Hawthorn and wouldn't cost a lot, probably a 3rd or 4th round pick. If he could get his body right would he suit Collingwood?

I'd like to see us target Lukosius. Right age profile in a position of need (KPF/KPD) with uptapped talent upside.

Based on current standings, our picks this year will match the points of GC pick 12 for their academy player Lombard whilst they get to upgrade their future 2nd for a future ~pick 8 for Lukosius. We can use 2x 2nd rounders next year to match Mcguane and maybe look to stockpile another future 2nd if we end up trading a Richards/Macrae/Reef type.
Maybe DeGoey + 27 for Lukosius and pick 12/20 trade pick 12/20 for Smith/Bergman or take it to the draft.

Personally I think Lukosius will end his career as an untapped talent. Seems content to float through his career playing on his terms and isn’t the dominant strong contested marking key forward we need.

I’m hope we steer clear. Particularly if the price is a future first. Which could very easily be a top 5 pick with our list demographics.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back