List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

What are you paying (draft wise) to bring them in?

Stone might be an option but our best chance there would be to try to bring in 2x yet-to-peak players from GWS for a future pick
But I think we’re well aware of what happens when we trade our future firsts

Trading another future first would be playing with fire whilst covered in petrol.

There has been stages all through 2024 that all of Steele, Pendles and Howe have looked off the boil.
Add in Miho, WHE, Elliott, Mitchell and Crisp all a year older.
You add another year on that and instead of having patches of dropped form it maybe a full season.
Happy for them to go around again but using them as a reason to trade out of drafts seems beyond stupid.

Age may also be playing a part in injuries increasing.

They are both worth keeping. Howe as well. They are still quality and have the leadership experience to set the right culture and expectations on the training track and in games. Mass culling of veterans is how you end up in the North situation.

It's the list cloggers like Bytel, Long, Markov, Begg etc that need to go first. We need to stop kidding ourselves about topping up with mature age SSPs instead of investing in the draft.

Needs to be a slow phase out over coming seasons, not all at once.

Also need quality replacements.

The list really is a giant turd covered in a beautiful Premiership cup-silver leaf. We refuse to learn from our mistakes with trading/drafting.

We are going to need a complete rebuild and a team management overhaul. The quicker we realise that the better - even if we can't properly start it until the end of 2025 because we have already screwed our 2024 draft hand.

Give Fly the mandate for a full rebuild, no half-measures.

I said this after round 1 or 2 (I think) and was immediately set upon by happy clappers. Is it safe to talk about the reality of our list and how it has been managed yet or is this place still like walking into the Waco compound?

The reality is that we need to tank in 2025 but we can't really start rebuilding until 2026 because of our usual incompetent trade/draft shenanigans.

And for that reason we should actually keep Pendles next year and possibly even 2026 unless he's completely crippled.

It would be handy to use him as an on-field coach to keep some structure while a bunch of kids and spuds run around. Frees up Naicos to just continue to play his own game rather than forcing him into a babysitter role prematurely.

Grundys ridiculous contract made it that way.

Cameron got a lot of HOs last night but mostly to the opposition. Correctable issue.

Where he struggles is vs the 206 to 210cm rucks typically. Cox is needed for them.
Agree - and that’s why suggestions by so many here, that Kreuger can replace Cox is just insane.

What are you paying (draft wise) to bring them in?

Stone might be an option but our best chance there would be to try to bring in 2x yet-to-peak players from GWS for a future pick
But I think we’re well aware of what happens when we trade our future firsts

I reckon Will Phillips is gettable. Struggling to get into the best 22 at North but has talent. Hawks 2nd is what I'd offer.

Have you watched the Hawks games this year? Ginni is playing everywhere. As Ginni said in an interview 4-6 weeks ago. He has licence to go where he likes at the Hawks. At Pies he had to play to a system and had to stay I50 and at times withered on the vine as a result. Schultz is playing to instructions. Hard to get 20 possessions in our forward line

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah that was criminal from Geelong, they should of been done by GC police for a BNE robbery.

If we did that deal we would of sent them a future 1st and a player...
Hocking might’ve had some influence there

It's not even a bad trade if we finish where we currently are. Worst in history? There have been a 1000 worse trades.
How can you possibly justify what is likely a top 10 pick + pick 34 for a B-grade small forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strength ? Ginnivan was a liability. He had no urgency, diligence or focus.
Joey was off the radar with ordinary form, and a delist candidate for many.

Elliott, Hill, McCreery alone is elite smalls.

Ginni is a clutch player all be it lazy.
Harrison had already debuted and from reports internally was highly rated. Should of backed him in.
Richards is the surprise of 24. And also further proof of why you should sometimes back in your youth and improve from within.

WHE also rotates through there and has high work rate.

Getting him isn't the issue, being constantly reemed at the trade table both in outgoing trades and incoming trades is. A future first plus a 2nd rounder was OTT. People in here are asking that for Moore an AA KPP...

We are paying a lot to acquire and gain little on the out goings like Grundy, Treloar, Stephenson, Adams, Witts etc

It was easy to judge at the time. Schultz was not some gun that was worthy of a first and second round pick especially one that had the risk of being high if we fell off the cliff.

Plenty of posters including myself hated it at the time. Didn't need hindsight.
I was neutral and wanted us to be more dangerous than the last. I think in a better structure he can go up a level.

I knew that he was a higher pressure forward. But had assumed he had a bit more class, particularly in terms of finishing.

He seems to miss alot of opportunities and ones you'd expect him to snag around the body. Also doesn't appear above average in terms of decision making and penetration by foot.

So honestly, it is a hindsight call by me, that the price was far too steep for what you're getting so far.

Thank goodness someone had the foresight to post that

Then stop posting hindsight is great to many people who didn't fit the criteria...

Many of us would love a club abstain from future trading for the coming years and have stated as much unless its for a certified gun like a 26 yo Jez Cameron...

Pies haven't done B2B for 88 (?) years - we're being consistent...

Even the 00 Essendon team couldn't get it done,

Our recent B2B best chance was 2010/2011 team which we built mainly from the draft and added trade top ups once the cake was cooked.

Very different strategy to current list build which imo was a pinch one build.

Jeff browne did say we will chase free agents in the next few years as the draft is so compromised.
this is such a dumb comment coming from the club ..it reeks of "we're no good at drafting" so we'll try something else (which, mind you, everyone else is already doing!)

ffs, walk & chew gum at the same time .. go after free agents (cos we've been super successful at that) AND optimise your trade capital (instead of treating our 1st rounders like confetti)

Even the 00 Essendon team couldn't get it done,
Our recent B2B best chance was 2010/2011 team which we built mainly from the draft and added trade top ups once the cake was cooked.
Very different strategy to current list build which imo was a pinch one build.
Essendon did B2B in 84 - 85.

The reason we failed to go B2B in 2011 was nothing to do with drafting or trading 😥

Essendon did B2B in 84 - 85.

The reason we failed to go B2B in 2011 was nothing to do with drafting or trading 😥
Watching Daisy play that year was phenomenal
His suspension was part of a series of missteps that contributed to that

We all knew we’d be bottoming out in the near future with our retirements. There’s no avoiding it. Was hoping we’d snag another flag before then but doesn’t look likely (unless a miracle happens this year). Can’t get your Daisys, Pendles, Beams, Sidey, Reid, Nicks, De Goeys and Browns without high draft picks. I just hope we don’t look to overpay short-term stopgaps to keep us in the 5-8th range without being a real threat.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. COLLINGWOOD Trade & FA 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back