List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

With the lack of draft capital and Tasmania coming in, we are all in with this list.

Get Mihocek, Cox, Mitchell etc etc back for 2025 + a fit JDG, Elliott etc.

Go hard at the free agents, players available for trade and as I’ve said before would offer a Tex Walker a 2 year deal.

All in with dads army for 2025.
Yeah. Game plan looks cooked, but nothing has changed with the list. We'll try to load up to keep going until Moore, JDG and Bruzzy are cooked and Tassie concessions have finished.

How good is this years draft? If it’s exceptional and we are trying to get back into the top end then we will have to give up quality if we want to be involved in the top part of the draft. Fringe players have no value and are just not getting anything worthwhile
No stand out #1 pick, but its so even, very good players. The depth in this draft is so high. They say you can even find good players in the 40's and 50's that would generally be top 30 in other years.

For those in the know, do we have any father son pickups in the pipeline in the next few years to look forward to?

Moore (pre 2024) and the Daicos boys aside it has been slim pickings to the point where I'd like to see it go.
As others have said, Thomas Mcguane next year, whose now looking like a very high pick. Just had 34 disposals and 2 goals this weekend for the jets and he's not even 17 yet.

For those in the know, do we have any father son pickups in the pipeline in the next few years to look forward to?

Moore (pre 2024) and the Daicos boys aside it has been slim pickings to the point where I'd like to see it go.
Thomas McGuane. Oscar Lonie (son of Ryan). Marcus (14) & Max (13) Rocca (Sav & Pebbles) respectively.

This is 16 year old Thomas McGuane’s stats this season for the jets

0d40c5db21a0530d55c2cecc6f081a91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are cooked drafting this year, trading equally so.

How do we improve?

We can improve around the margins with some adept recycling and picking up of fringe role players.

Free agents, potentially but our window is not as wide open as we thought.

Improvement from within our list will be the big step, but other clubs will do the same.

100% agree, need to throw Reef into the same equation, both to train the whole preseason as mids.
If we can get big improvements from McCreery, Reef and Allan next year as mids, we'll go a long way in regenerating our midfield depth.
Yes! Reef in the middle, that's what I want to see. Hopefully Allan bulks up a bit to strengthen his back muscles to protect that nasty back injury he had. If we can replace Maynard, he would be ferocious on ball, I can see it now.

We need to go younger not older. Don't think we need another almost 30 year old.
Barass will cost too much for someone that will be 30 next year.
Under 25 needs to be.

If there was an under 25yo key defender available that would be best 22 then yes, of course they would be a preferred target. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like may of those types are available on the market. I was mainly just using Barass as an example for a KPD to bring in that could transform the look of our defence.

The cost to get him is a valid point and probably rules us out, but I wouldn't be deterred by his age. He is the same age as Darcy Moore and Jordan DeGoey. If we are going to win another premiership in the next 5-6 years, it will in large part be due to the top end talent we have in side around the late 20's (DeGoey, Moore, Maynard, McStay etc). Yes, ideally someone younger but I wouldn't rule him out because he is his late 20's.

Last edited:
We are cooked drafting this year, trading equally so.

How do we improve?

We can improve around the margins with some adept recycling and picking up of fringe role players.

Free agents, potentially but our window is not as wide open as we thought.

Improvement from within our list will be the big step, but other clubs will do the same.
I’m curious to see which players might be put up for trade to strengthen our draft hand. I’m sure El Presidente JB mentioned earlier this year we would be active in this draft and eluded to this. Assuming along with pick swaps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m curious to see which players might be put up for trade to strengthen our draft hand. I’m sure El Presidente JB mentioned earlier this year we would be active in this draft and eluded to this. Assuming along with pick swaps.
Can’t see anyone having any value that would make it worth the trade. The oldies don’t. Elliot is more valuable than any currency we’d get. The fringe players don’t have any value.

The others we’d be trading low based off this poor season as most players have had down years.

I think it was also said that we would attack free agency, but it looks like nothing will materialise there.

Unfortunately I think it will be a very quiet off-season, where we will go to the draft with what we have and try to bring in some youth from far back positions.

No stand out #1 pick, but its so even, very good players. The depth in this draft is so high. They say you can even find good players in the 40's and 50's that would generally be top 30 in other years.
does our recruiting team actually look forward to see whos coming up in a draft? Why do a future first in a strong year with an old battered list?. and why try to get into a first round multiple times in avery week year such as 2020?

Not sure F/S rule changes but if McGuane keeps tracking upward scale will we need our first round or look to trade it anyhow for points?

He could be the No.1 pick in the '25 draft. That's how good this kid is, and he will be the perfect Pendlebury replacement...

He could be the No.1 pick in the '25 draft. That's how good this kid is, and he will be the perfect Pendlebury replacement...
Unlikely. Quite a few who played in this years under 18 nationals and made or were close to All Australian. So not sure he would be top 5 currently

Obviously a lot of doom and gloom talk at the moment, but things change quickly in this sport.

Injuries took their toll on us this season and I think with a full off-season, an easier fixture by not making the finals and hopefully some luck with health, we can rebound and compete for top 4 next season.

Yes, we need to look at the midfield set up, but a healthy Mitchell & fit DeGoey should hopefully go a long way to addressing the clear issues we have in there at the moment. Maynard & Beau are other options to consider in giving some life internally to that midfield.

We need a key defender, which would be my top priority. Does the emergency of Lobb as a key defender mean we can come back in play for Barrass if the bulldogs interest in him cools? Below could be a best case starting 23 with that recruitment.

B: I.Quaynor - T.Barrass - J.Howe
HB: J.Crisp - D.Moore - B.Maynard
C: J.Daicos - T.Mitchell - W.Hoskin-Elliott
HF: L.Schulz - B.Mihocek - B.McCreery
F: B.Hill - D.McStay - J.Elliott
R: D.Cameron - J.DeGoey - N.Daicos
I: S.Sidebottom - S.Pendlebury - M.Cox - P.Lipinski
S: H.Harrison
EMG: J.Richards - J.Noble - N.Kreuger
Not sure on the easier draw part. We are Collingwood. Every team wants to play us aka to beat us and for theirs/AFL’s piggy bank.

Unlikely. Quite a few who played in this years under 18 nationals and made or were close to All Australian. So not sure he would be top 5 currently

I'm talking about his trajectory is going up, and he may well be the number 1 pick by the time next years draft comes around. Already playing senior footy down at Keilor and playing very nicely....

I don’t think it is.

We’ve been leading the pack in terms of tactics for the last two premierships we’ve won. Particularly last years.

IMO once the pack catches up, and counters the strategy side of our game, as it inevitably has on both occasions, our talent hasn’t been able to compete 1 on 1 with the more talented teams.
You’re absolutely right about game plan innovation being responsible for those two flags.

You also walk right past the fact that the list recruited by Hine and co enabled that game plan.

You make the right point, but the conclusion is that recruiting and coaching came together to win a flag.
And I think you’ll find this is the case for every premiership.

I had heard that GW wanted to prioritise kids in the draft, but Clarko wanted to top up, GW was overridden and that began your downfall. Not sure if that is true or not.
No-one really knows the dynamic between coaches (within that group too), recruiters and list managers - the roles probably vary slightly between each club - and then the issue of personalities comes into play....

..... some clubs have even been known to have a president that interferes in these matters - imagine that 👹

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back