List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question. Is he any good?
In and out of the side, starts as a sub, gets subbed off.
Is he much better than Macrae?
Admittedly, haven’t seen a lot of him.
I don't think we have seen a lot of him at the top level to fully judge at this point. Like you said, been sub a few times. I think he was also injured for a decent part last year too.

Probably one based on potential for now.
May need more development and another pre-season to see if he can crack in. Guess he has a few ahead of him right now.

The whole game an is predicated on speed so any player who has it and is available we should be interested in. Hope that helps you with struggling to see the attraction.
So, we should be chasing the likes of Jayden Hunt then?

There's more to footy than simply having speed. There's also no guarantee that Smith has retained his speed following an ACL, even if he wasn't in the top 5 fastest Dogs in 2021.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

We can all agree our under 25 stocks are sub standard
This draft is agreed to have strong depth in the top 40. We currently have one latisb selection in top 40
We need to somehow acquire 2 more selections in the top 40 this year

Selwood retired after their 2022 Premiership aged 34. Isaac Smith at 34 the following season. Tom Hawkins at age 35 kicked 49 goals last season from 20 games. One year later he's now kicked 15 goals in 12 games. The end looks to have come.

Dangerfield is 34 and averaging 19.56 disposals (lowest since 2011) this season. He was averaging 27.08 in 2019.

Tuohy turns 35 at the end of the year, Duncan is 33, C. Guthrie soon to be 32, Stewart currently 31.

In comparison next season....

Pendlebury will be turning 37 in January. Even by veteran standards that's old. Sorry Pendles. He is averaging 20.67 disposals this season (lowest since 2007). He was averaging 27.29 in 2019.

Howe 35 in June, Sidebottom another January Birthday. He'll be 34. Cox 34 in March. Elliott 33. Hoskin-Elliott 32. Mihocek 32. Mitchell 32. Crisp 32 after the season ends.

My point.

Sure, we saw Geelong bounce this season but I think we all know they aren't winning this years flag either. A prominent poster on this site said they'd miss finals only a month back. While our challenges this season are varied one of them is definitely our midfield and it's why Geelong aren't a legitimate Premiership chance also.

Like Geelong one of problems within that midfield is clearly the age profile and the understandable lessening of output due to age.

While I see a lot of people are backing us to bounce next season I'm less convinced or at least not confident that our Premiership window hasn't now closed in the short term. With a lack of elite young talent seemingly coming through to support Nick (and to pick up the slack of those veterans in decline) I struggle to see how that midfield improves in the short term and propels us back to being a Premiership fancy. At worse I fear our recent form is more indicative of what's to come next season, age has finally caught up with the list and people are currently in a state of shock and denial.

Even if you legitimately believe we can bounce back to being a top 4 contender next season I think there is a couple of lessons some on here can learn from Geelong experience that they are quick to reference.

The first one is that the Geelong bounce this year has come after the retirement of an all time Geelong great at the end of 22 and a 4 time Premiership winger Smith last season.

I think both men are worthy comparisons to Pendlebury and Sidebottom, the decisions that might be made and demonstate that while it's sad when champions of the game retire, clubs go on, opportunities arise for others, fresh faces arrive and it's possible to maintain a level of competitiveness.

The second lesson comes from Tom Hawkins and his decision seemingly to play on for 1 season to many. Even for champions who performed admirably the season before the end can come quickly.

Personally I don't now see a top 4 finsihing position being realistic next season with or without the likes of Pendlebury, Sidebottom or Howe.

I could certainly see us being worse, with our veterans effectively acting as a band aid solution but is that really what's best for the next stage of our list development? That's the hard question we need to ask.

Personally I'm in favour of ripping off some of the band aids and we see what comes of it one way or another.

If we thrive then bloody fantastic. If we dive then at least we know where we stand and our "prize" is a valuable selection in what should be the last of the uncompromised drafts (prior to the Tasmania draft concessions).
Great post

Funnily enough this is the year when we should be thinking about trading our future first-round pick for a player or some high picks in this year's draft.

This year clubs could project it will be a top 6 pic next year and we actually have a chance of surprising to the upside. Trading future first last year as premiers, there was only possible downside. No real upside. If finished top 4 I would have thought paying say, pick 34 in 2023, and then pick 20-odd in 2024 was a fair price for Schultz.

But i am certainly gun-shy about trading next year's first and I imagine the club will be too.

Funnily enough this is the year when we should be thinking about trading our future first-round pick for a player or some high picks in this year's draft.

This year clubs could project it will be a top 6 pic next year and we actually have a chance of surprising to the upside. Trading future first last year as premiers, there was only possible downside. No real upside. If finished top 4 I would have thought paying say, pick 34 in 2023, and then pick 20-odd in 2024 was a fair price for Schultz.

But i am certainly gun-shy about trading next year's first and I imagine the club will be too.

The issue is we are just as much chance to have the wheels fall off completely as we are to rebound and contend.

It is a genuine gamble and given where we are now it's like that poker player adding the rolex hoping to win the all in.

In his draft year he was all the news down here with Geelong trading up to get him as they believed he would be the next Selwood. Was injured in his first game and missed all the season b/c of injury. Despite the Cats midfield ills, he hasn't made any inroads this year. Not getting much midfield or game time and only averaging 54% TOG. Been sub 3 times & subbed off once. Not sure if he is playing injured or just out of form
Or his heart is with the Pies and he’s miserable 😉

I agree with you. Trading future picks isn't an issue. Assuming a high ladder position and then trading them for that value is the issue.

Last edited:
So, we should be chasing the likes of Jayden Hunt then?

There's more to footy than simply having speed. There's also no guarantee that Smith has retained his speed following an ACL, even if he wasn't in the top 5 fastest Dogs in 2021.

Hope that helps.
Well let's just extrapolate your thoughts a little further brysie, seeing as though you're been so literal we should be recruiting Usain Bolt or anyone who runs around 10 flat. That's the response you nonsensical ridiculous post deserves.

Could Angus Sheldrick be gettable from the swans? 180cm 88kg midfielder, he’s a real Lachie Neale type as a contested and clearance beast and able to hunt the footy on the outside too. Hasn’t played at AFL level this year given how elite the swans midfield is atm and out of contract in 2025.

Could Angus Sheldrick be gettable from the swans? 180cm 88kg midfielder, he’s a real Lachie Neale type as a contested and clearance beast and able to hunt the footy on the outside too. Hasn’t played at AFL level this year given how elite the swans midfield is atm and out of contract in 2025.
He would be a very handy pick up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And in doing exactly this we got a flag. I for one am exceedingly grateful that we did this for two seasons.

If we hadn't, we very likely would still be sitting on no.15, and in year one or two of a rebuild, with eight-ten teams ahead of us. No.16 would still be years off.

I think its also known as the 'Devil's Choice'. Or major gain for future pain. Or something else, dunno, but I'd still take 2023 anyday.
I aint denying that. It was so so sweet (still is tbh).

But we do have to face the reality that awaits us.

Well let's just extrapolate your thoughts a little further brysie, seeing as though you're been so literal we should be recruiting Usain Bolt or anyone who runs around 10 flat. That's the response you nonsensical ridiculous post deserves.
I think you missed the part of my post that said there's more to footy than just speed.

Good luck fitting Usain Bolt within the salary cap too, although he'd probably cost less in draft picks than Bailey Smith.

Caleb Daniel's quicker than Bailey Smith - maybe we should recruit him?

The only thing nonsensical and ridiculous is your ability to engage in anything approaching a rational, objective discussion.

Last edited:
I think you missed the part of my post that said there's more to footy than just speed.

Good luck fitting Usain Bolt within the salary cap too, although he'd probably cost less in draft picks than Bailey Smith.

Caleb Daniel's quicker than Bailey Smith - maybe we should recruit him?

The only thing nonsensical and ridiculous is your ability to engage in anything approaching a rational, objective discussion.
Listen champ, if you can't realise the team needs more speed amongst other things then maybe take the blinkers off. I'm done conversing with you, it's like playing chess with a pigeon.

Riley and Cal are reliable sources so ill have a listen out of interest.

And first thing I hear is Owies being talked up as a good small forward
They don’t talk shit like other Jurnos

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back