List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

As I recall the discussion at the time, Richmond offered Lynch more than anyone else.
Do you have the data to back that up? Because my impression was the opposite.
This was also the exact same time North Melbourne were desperately throwing money at anyone, and I'm sure they would've been happy to beat everyone's offer for Lynch by 30%. Huge money wasn't enough for them to bring Andrew Gaff back to Victoria, who stayed at West Coast on far less.

Barrass wouldn't cost much in trade collateral, because the club who takes him also takes on the last 3 years of a fairly big contract.
Possibly something similar to what we got for Grundy or Treloar, as we off loaded their contracts to their destination clubs...
Barass has got a chronic back problem- pass

Imagine our salary cap troubles if Lynch actually came to us haha. We’d have won the 2019 flag at least
Things would be much different, as winning in either 2018 or 2019 would have guaranteed bucks kept him job for a while longer.

This was also the exact same time North Melbourne were desperately throwing money at anyone, and I'm sure they would've been happy to beat everyone's offer for Lynch by 30%. Huge money wasn't enough for them to bring Andrew Gaff back to Victoria, who stayed at West Coast on far less.

Nobody has the data to confirm contract discussions either way but the scuttlebutt on this forum was that we couldn’t compete financially with the Richmond offer.

As others have also said, Balme had done all our groundwork and took that to Richmond when he moved. Lynch may have come to the Pies on less money if Balme remained.

It was only ever Collingwood or Richmond in the discussions at the time afaik.

Last edited:
Barrass as a trade option is the smart play for West Coast.

He's quality and has greater value than someone like Jeremy McGovern. He's also under contract for 3 more seasons after this one, therefore if they don't receive what they deem to be adequate compensation, they don't need to deal and it's business as usual in 2025.

Given the talk around him, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up moving at the end of the season, as the market right now seems to be fairly good for West Coast as a seller.

We should be looking at a player like Alex Davies from the Suns
Out of contract and in that right age profile not too dissimilar to what we did with Lipinski 2 seasons or so ago.

He won’t cost much in terms of trade either but he represents a need in terms of position and profile for the list mechanics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barrass as a trade option is the smart play for West Coast.

He's quality and has greater value than someone like Jeremy McGovern. He's also under contract for 3 more seasons after this one, therefore if they don't receive what they deem to be adequate compensation, they don't need to deal and it's business as usual in 2025.

Given the talk around him, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up moving at the end of the season, as the market right now seems to be fairly good for West Coast as a seller.

Especially because they want English. Barass -> English

Club must mot Rate Reef very Highly

Then Good Chance he leaves at Seasons End
The 2020 draft has been a bust. Last pick McCreery at 44 appears to be the only one of value.

I've been hopeful that McInnes and McRae would become players but after 4 years there's no compelling reason to keep them on. Some players shine as underage kids, perhaps peaked too early. Ginnivan as a rookie puts then totally in the shade.

And bucks blew our chances up by leaking hed met with the Lynch’s

And bucks blew our chances up by leaking hed met with the Lynch’s
The point is getting "big free agent key-forwards" is extremely difficult.

First you have to wait for one to go out of contract and decide to leave their club (has happened only twice in 10 years).
They have to be an eligible free agent.
The owning club has to opt against matching a bid if they are a restricted free agent (100% certain with a "big free agent key-forward")
Then the player has to pick your club out of 5-10 other clubs who will signal interest. Some of them will offer more money, some of them will have much better chances of short-term success.

If you think just letting a few of the old guys go to free up some cap space means signing up a big name key-forward through free agency shouldn't be too difficult then... prepare to be disappointed.

The 2020 draft has been a bust. Last pick McCreery at 44 appears to be the only one of value.

I've been hopeful that McInnes and McRae would become players but after 4 years there's no compelling reason to keep them on. Some players shine as underage kids, perhaps peaked too early. Ginnivan as a rookie puts then totally in the shade.
Henry goes okay.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back