List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a question I have zero idea about.
Do we get any form of compensation in trade value Re: Murphy and Carmichael?
I doubt it but curious

I am still optimistic about McInnes.
Great size and fairly quick.
I think another preseason or so will see him become a really goo

Geez he’s 21 years old and 6 foot 4 and athletic. We can’t afford those traits and age profile to walk out.
Exactly, we should be backing him in and investing more time, give him a 2 year extension.

Here's a question I have zero idea about.
Do we get any form of compensation in trade value Re: Murphy and Carmichael?
I doubt it but curious
Not trade value, but there's salary cap relief 🤪 🥳

AFL clubs will get salary cap relief for payments to any players forced to retire from concussion for up to three years under new guidelines revealed on Monday but anyone contracted for four years or more does not have their full salary protected. 17 June 2024

Stay away from Barrass, I've had two spinal fusions in my neck and going for a microdiscectomy on my lower lumbar spine, osteoarthritis in my lumbar spine, wedging through the middle and is generally just ****ed.
It's not as simple as healing verterbraes, muscles, ligaments, fascia all take a hit. He may be like me and on a plethora of meds to relax muscles, cover pain and cover nerve pain. Tom's full thoracic spine is damaged, he'll probably have to retire earlier than anticipated. All this stuff generally requires heavy duty intervention eventually, conservative approaches are good for short term but not in a high impact sport like this one. I really wish him the best, but he shouldn't be picked up by us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly I think Reef (and probably Fin too) will be looking for other opportunities to play regular football elsewhere. It would be shame to see them go, especially Reef as I think he has some great attributes and just hasn't harnessed it all together for a sustained period yet.

I would imagine the only way we have of keeping him on is if there's been some clear communication about his near future with Mihocek, Cox and Elliott all 30+, but that isn't an easy conversation to have. Additionally having had the chance to meet and chat with Reef a few times, he's a switched on young man, he'll be aware that AFL careers and opportunities are not unlimited and he needs to make the most of his career where/while he can.

Sadly I think Reef (and probably Fin too) will be looking for other opportunities to play regular football elsewhere. It would be shame to see them go, especially Reef as I think he has some great attributes and just hasn't harnessed it all together for a sustained period yet.

I would imagine the only way we have of keeping him on is if there's been some clear communication about his near future with Mihocek, Cox and Elliott all 30+, but that isn't an easy conversation to have. Additionally having had the chance to meet and chat with Reef a few times, he's a switched on young man, he'll be aware that AFL careers and opportunities are not unlimited and he needs to make the most of his career where/while he can.
Who’s going to offer them those opportunities though?

Who’s going to offer them those opportunities though?
I think Melbourne and Richmond would have serious looks at Reef - Melbourne went after him last year apparently, and he would fit nicely in the Tigers forward line imo. He'd of probably played just about every game for the tigers this year, and would've certainly had multiple runs at senior level for the demons this year.

Finlay is probably harder to pinpoint where he'd get games - given most teams have a depth of midfielders at present. He would seem to fit Ross Lyon's style with that defensive, contest mindset (as boring as it is) so he could be a good contest partner with Jack Steele for them?

I think Melbourne and Richmond would have serious looks at Reef - Melbourne went after him last year apparently, and he would fit nicely in the Tigers forward line imo. He'd of probably played just about every game for the tigers this year, and would've certainly had multiple runs at senior level for the demons this year.

Finlay is probably harder to pinpoint where he'd get games - given most teams have a depth of midfielders at present. He would seem to fit Ross Lyon's style with that defensive, contest mindset (as boring as it is) so he could be a good contest partner with Jack Steele for them?
Those options make sense for Reef.

I don’t see Finn as someone who’s good at the contest at AFL level though.

Geez he’s 21 years old and 6 foot 4 and athletic. We can’t afford those traits and age profile to walk out.

We’ve had other players with age, size and athleticism on their side - and they don’t make it. Reef just hasn’t shown enough. The fact that he keeps getting selected only to be dropped again - even in this injury-riddled season - indicates that the coaches are also desperate for him to succeed. But he doesn’t. So out he goes again.

Those saying that he should get a block of games, or a long consistent run at it, as per young Maynard and IQ - both those players showed early on that they could play and would get better with consistent exposure. Reef has not shown that.

If the coaches had faith in what Reef could become, he’d be playing every week.

We’ve had other players with age, size and athleticism on their side - and they don’t make it. Reef just hasn’t shown enough. The fact that he keeps getting selected only to be dropped again - even in this injury-riddled season - indicates that the coaches are also desperate for him to succeed. But he doesn’t. So out he goes again.

Those saying that he should get a block of games, or a long consistent run at it, as per young Maynard and IQ - both those players showed early on that they could play and would get better with consistent exposure. Reef has not shown that.

If the coaches had faith in what Reef could become, he’d be playing every week.

has he ever played behind the ball? half back?

We're very good at hanging on to these types of players until their trade value hits zero and then deciding to let them go.

Somehow we need to get better and faster at assessing and developing young players or trading them whilst they still have value.

We invested Pick 18 or thereabouts in Fin, which will now turn into a packet of Twisties when he leaves. Much like Stephenson, Freeman and numerous others over the past decade.

When was the last time we drafted a player in the third or fourth round and then on-traded him a couple of years later for a first-rounder?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back