List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone else find it concerning that we're almost never genuinely in the running for the true big name stars?

Even with McRae as coach and the new environment we've created, record crowds etc etc.

It almost feels to me like we're not the actual destination club you'd think we would be
It’s definitely over blown. The only big name (that I can recall) we’ve brought over in my time supporting Collingwood was Treloar and we paid heavily for that. A bunch of others towards the back end of their careers but only one that I can recall in their prime. That strategy doesn’t always work though, just look at Carlton, Essendon, Port.

Missing out on Jezza Cameron to Geelong still kills me.

Does anyone else find it concerning that we're almost never genuinely in the running for the true big name stars?

Even with McRae as coach and the new environment we've created, record crowds etc etc.

It almost feels to me like we're not the actual destination club you'd think we would be
No not concerned- given the reality that we haven’t had cap space.
Which big name stars do you think we could have afforded.

No not concerned- given the reality that we haven’t had cap space.
Which big name stars do you think we could have afforded.

Oh ok, all good then.

It's not that nobody wants to come here, it's just that we have constantly mismanaged the cap so badly that we've had to pay players to play for other clubs and haven't been able to afford to bring anyone in.

Don't we all feel much better?

Oh ok, all good then.

It's not that nobody wants to come here, it's just that we have constantly mismanaged the cap so badly that we've had to pay players to play for other clubs and haven't been able to afford to bring anyone in.

Don't we all feel much better?
Here’s an idea - maybe read the post I responded to for context.

He would definitely be an option to fill Murphy spot , along with Eyre stepping up & Dean.
Murphy has left a pretty noticeable hole in our defence & the impact it’s had on Moores role & form, be great to get it sorted for 2025 👍
IMO Keane is more of a Howe replacement (loose marking, intercepting defender). He's not great one on one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy if we could get Keane back at the right/fair trade price.

Would quickly fill a need. He has been getting overused at Adelaide, we could put him in better spots.

Now that Nash has re-signed, I heard a few weeks ago, we had offered him 6 yrs. I don't have a source but the person who told me has a source. This person doesn't want to be named.
It's killing me because I know other stuff too but I don't know if what I'm being told is fact or fantasy. Only time will tell.
The source is a sauce, of course, of course.

Now that Nash has re-signed, I heard a few weeks ago, we had offered him 6 yrs. I don't have a source but the person who told me has a source. This person doesn't want to be named.
It's killing me because I know other stuff too but I don't know if what I'm being told is fact or fantasy. Only time will tell.
The source is a sauce, of course, of course.
Tell us the other stuff anyway. 🤪
I like fantasising.

We haven’t exactly had a good record when trading future picks for those types… More importantly though managers know we’re going to struggle to get big deals done this year without a 1st so they’re pushing their clients to clubs keen to get deals done on their 1st (Hawks being the obvious one). I’m more concerned with the lack of links to those fringe types. Imagine a scenario where we worked MacDonald into the Ginnivan deal 😔

These don’t all fit that fringe bill, but they aren’t stars or they could be options. Throw a good contract at Cumming. Find out if Bailey Humphrey is a fan of Dimma. Investigate Peter Wright looking for another fresh start. Ask the question of Angus Sheldrick. What about Brennan Cox’s future. Perhaps Busslinger is gettable with Lobb now ahead of him.

The star power will take care of itself if we drop off because guys always bob up, but this year it’s been the bottom half of our list that’s struggled with the injuries.

If he's a required player then we'll create an available list spot. That surely should never be a problem for any player you are desperate to keep.

If both the club and player are open to a trade then it's probably good practice to still put a new contact offer in front of him if only for the optics and trying to gain some leverage come trade time.

With only 4 weeks of the H&A season to go now the current situation does seem a little curious and I would assume most on here would think he's shown enough already to warrant at least a modest contract extension offer.

So far crickets.
The club doesn’t telegraph contract news though. It took Pendles to announce his own deal

If we could swing a Keane for Jakob Ryan trade would people be happy?

Given what it cost to get Ryan to the club and that Keane was at our club, it feels like a loss lol
Would do that in a heartbeat. That said thought Ryan showed his best signs for the year on Sunday. Wonder if wing might be where he is best suited ?

How do Geelong keep doing it? Offering attractive deals to other players.

This puts me in a very bad mood.
They have a hierachial pay structure. Their top 4-6 are paid well but not over the top. They are prepared to pay $$$$ and give up some for a generational player which they have done twice in the past 10 years. They top up on older recruits via UFA who are happy to play for around market price to fill roles and a lot of their youngsters are on performance based contracts. They recruit for need not best available as we claim to do. Until COVID houses and land were cheap down here without traffic issues. You wouldn't see Geelong pay a Cox, Phillips or Stevo anywhere near the $500-600k we were reportedly paying. Or their President go against the Football Depts decision not to trade for Beams or let Grundy walk and by doing so blow up an already salary cap. Our salary cap has reportedly been crap since 2010.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Beyond Keane…

22 year old Victorian Sam Berry is a fringe crows player who can do the grunt clearances and tackling.

obviously a knock on his game in some aspects but imo the more contested mids we get in the better

besides Nick there is not a pies player in the top 50 of the comp for clearances

And our in and under extractor in Mitchell is ageing

What’s more I’m not sold on Macrae, Long being viable afl centre mids

Beyond Keane…

22 year old Victorian Sam Berry is a fringe crows player who can do the grunt clearances and tackling.

obviously a knock on his game in some aspects but imo the more contested mids we get in the better

besides Nick there is not a pies player in the top 50 of the comp for clearances

And our in and under extractor in Mitchell is ageing

What’s more I’m not sold on Macrae, Long being viable afl centre mids

Yep like Berry think we can be a good player.

Would honestly love to pick up two defenders. Keane’s exponential growth has been eye catching. I’d also like Dougal Howard if he were gettable for a reasonable price. Would give us a very new look defence and I’d be inclined to use Howe as more of a running half back as a result.

Of course Cumming as a free agent would be a great acquisition, however our club continues to not be linked to him publicly.

Howard in particular could be another Roughead-style pick, right size and can defend so should be able to do a job given the right focus, but not valued at all by his club.

Would you take the 26 yo Ash Johnson for Keane?
I don't think we need Keane with a few others on our list showing potential. Dean, Frampton and Eyre might not have shown as much as Keane but they ain't that far off him.
But let's say the club and Keane want this.
Was Kreuger linked to Adelaide last year? He came from Adelaide originally. Ash also played there for at least a season In SA.
Taylor Walker is probably going to retire imo. Either one of Kreuger or Johnson could be part of the trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back