List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I think Lukosius will end his career as an untapped talent. Seems content to float through his career playing on his terms and isn’t the dominant strong contested marking key forward we need.

I’m hope we steer clear. Particularly if the price is a future first. Which could very easily be a top 5 pick with our list demographics.
I'd be surprised if we were keen enough to get Lukosius. I doubt as a player he ticks the boxes we'd want.

All this talk of trading JDG is nonsense.
He’s still in our top 5 players at the club. Is still 28yrs old too at the moment.

He’s one of two or three genuine match winners we have to boot in terms of being able to change, dominate and swing a game off his own boot.

The other side of the coin is…to get a player of his quality back into the club will also cost us more to outlay than what we are already paying him to have here.

He’s very much a required player, it’s been unfortunate he has battled OP which has caused other injuries due to his inability to train week to week —we just need to spend the summer getting this right and he will return to his best next season in a much healthier state.

He’s still in our top 5 players at the club. Is still 28yrs old too at the moment.

He’s one of two or three genuine match winners we have to boot in terms of being able to change, dominate and swing a game off his own boot.

The other side of the coin is…to get a player of his quality back into the club will also cost us more to outlay than what we are already paying him to have here.

He’s very much a required player, it’s been unfortunate he has battled OP which has caused other injuries due to his inability to train week to week —we just need to spend the summer getting this right and he will return to his best next season in a much healthier state.
Agree. Silliest stuff posted on bf. And that's saying something.

Injures his hamstring & out for the year, opinion by the majority is that's our finals hopes dashed because he's out..yet there are Pie supporters wanting to trade him...! Because of a hamstring injury...!

top 5? not for me. he's in the 5 - 10 range.

If Lukosius is on big money, he might be worth prying out on the cheap. It's simply inevitable that more players will fall out of the Suns as the side gets older - they won't be prioritising their third most valuable tall forward.

When I say cheap, I mean I think he might be gettable for a second if his entire contract is taken up.

I'm not convinced we can play a three tall forward line without one being able to ruck, however. We simply can't expect it of McStay nor Mihocek, and we couldn't play three talls + Cameron and Cox. So the question begs - would what we lose by playing Luko instead of Maso as second ruck be negligible with what we gain around the ground?

Agree. Silliest stuff posted on bf. And that's saying something.

Injures his hamstring & out for the year, opinion by the majority is that's our finals hopes dashed because he's out..yet there are Pie supporters wanting to trade him...! Because of a hamstring injury...!

he is 100% tradeable if the deal is right. after 8 or 9 seasons he's never been AA or had a top 5 finish in the BNF.

the bursts here seduce you but I think he underperforms to be frank.

Last edited:
he is 100% tradeable if the deal is right. after 8 or 9 seasons he's never been AA or had a top 5 finish in the BNF.

the bursts here and there seduce you but I think he underperforms to be frank.
Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Need a mixture of different types to be successful and JDG is definitely a match winning momentum changer.

The chemistry between him, Daicos & Pendles is poetry in motion. Imo.

He's an intercept half back not a mid and he doesn't need to be a speedster. He played 20 games last year so doesn't have a history of injuries.

If howe falls over next year (if he goes on) its Moore, Frampton and Dean. ouch.

Hynes best was elite and whilst he may never get back to it he would still be a very good rental for a year or 2.
yep, he's a half-back but he (and the rest of the team) still need to defend on transition when we've turned the ball over high up the ground or mid-ground. in these situations, running back toward your own goal, leg-speed / ability to cover the ground, read the play & shuffle across are critical.

Howe's weakness is lack of leg-speed to close space and/or defend a leading opponent. Howe (and Haynes') one-wood are intercept marks and 3rd man up spoils ie. teams need to kick long/high into their forward-50 or there needs to be pressure on ball carrier.

but this one-wood is rendered useless if teams take possession, run in waves and don't give it back to you or don't go long into their f50: see recent Haw, GCS games and the GWS one from earlier in the year. they basically took possession from their D50 and ran it all the way up the ground to goal or spotted up a leading target in their f50 .. and we couldn't go with them.

Last edited:

I was the one suggesting trading DeGoey and I agree with you he is a freak, admittedly last year was his best and when he is up and about he can do some pretty special stuff that not many can. I only worry that our list is getting old and while we do have some young talent I think it is a balancing act at the moment. DeGoey's 2023 prelim against GWS [insert flame emoji] was incredible, if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have made the GF. But if we got 23yo Smith and Lukosius by losing DeGoey it would be something to consider.

I was the one suggesting trading DeGoey and I agree with you he is a freak, admittedly last year was his best and when he is up and about he can do some pretty special stuff that not many can. I only worry that our list is getting old and while we do have some young talent I think it is a balancing act at the moment. DeGoey's 2023 prelim against GWS [insert flame emoji] was incredible, if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have made the GF. But if we got 23yo Smith and Lukosius by losing DeGoey it would be something to consider.

We are not Getting Smith and about at most 1% Chance of getting Lukosius

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are not Getting Smith and about at most 1% Chance of getting Lukosius

You are spot on I think Dave.

Smith would be perfect for us but it seems he is going elsewhere. And I feel lukosius has been disappointing and would cost too much in trade and in wages. I mean Luko is a good b-grader atm but he never seems to stand up when the suns really need him.

Any thoughts on Denver Grainger-Barrass? A former Pick 6 (2020) albeit one who has struggled with injury, most recently turf toe. He is out of contract at Hawthorn and wouldn't cost a lot, probably a 3rd or 4th round pick. If he could get his body right would he suit Collingwood?
DGB was a star at U18’s state level for WA. He just did not come on at Hawks.
As a talented player prior to draft, surely he hasn’t forgotten how to play footy. He was a strong mark and read the play well as an intercepting key backman.
For a low pick, he may be worth a go.

DGB was a star at U18’s state level for WA. He just did not come on at Hawks.
As a talented player prior to draft, surely he hasn’t forgotten how to play footy. He was a strong mark and read the play well as an intercepting key backman.
For a low pick, he may be worth a go.
If we did want him, I reckon he’s a favourite to be delisted at the Hawks

yep, he's a half-back but he (and the rest of the team) still need to defend on transition when we've turned the ball over high up the ground or mid-ground. in these situations, running back toward your own goal, leg-speed / ability to cover the ground, read the play & shuffle across are critical.

Howe's weakness is lack of leg-speed to close space and/or defend a leading opponent. Howe (and Haynes') one-wood are intercept marks and 3rd man up spoils ie. teams need to kick long/high into their forward-50 or there needs to be pressure on ball carrier.

but this one-wood is rendered useless if teams take possession, run in waves and don't give it back to you or don't go long into their f50: see recent Haw, GCS games and the GWS one from earlier in the year. they basically took possession from their D50 and ran it all the way up the ground to goal or spotted up a leading target in their f50 .. and we couldn't go with them.
And most of that slowness is in our MIDS, Howe et al are on the end of it and they're the ones made look silly but it starts and rolls through our MIDS. That's where we need the speed, Bruz, IQ, Nobes or Markov, Darce....these aren't slow defenders (nor incidentally is Howe, he's never lost his agility).
Just having Beau back last week made a huge difference to our look because he covers so much of our midfield defence. But to say Howe needs to be shoved out because he's old and slow...well that's just a plain misnomer. Any defender will look slow and second to the ball if their mids let them down and that's what's been happening so much this year. Titch's absence and his defensive traits have been missed and JDG's ability to burst forward has been missing all year.

Get more speed and responsibility in our mids (and defensive forwards) and you'll go a long way to fixing our transition woes, and take the onus off our defenders to hold up the team all the time.

And most of that slowness is in our MIDS, Howe et al are on the end of it and they're the ones made look silly but it starts and rolls through our MIDS. That's where we need the speed, Bruz, IQ, Nobes or Markov, Darce....these aren't slow defenders (nor incidentally is Howe, he's never lost his agility).
Just having Beau back last week made a huge difference to our look because he covers so much of our midfield defence. But to say Howe needs to be shoved out because he's old and slow...well that's just a plain misnomer. Any defender will look slow and second to the ball if their mids let them down and that's what's been happening so much this year. Titch's absence and his defensive traits have been missed and JDG's ability to burst forward has been missing all year.

Get more speed and responsibility in our mids (and defensive forwards) and you'll go a long way to fixing our transition woes, and take the onus off our defenders to hold up the team all the time.
agree with most of your comments re mids being slow &, at times, unaccountable, but team defence relies on all players on the field / all lines of defence, starting from the front third. my point is simply, i don't think we should be getting any slower.

never said "Howe needs to be shoved out" or anything in that ballpark. simply making a case that we are getting older & slower and don't need another 32+yo (Haynes) that would make us even older & even slower.

disagree that Howe hasn't lost some agility / leap or speed ..he's 34 yo, happens to everyone. he's still a quality defender (and one of our best) but his weakness (in relative terms) is getting burnt on the lead and outright foot-speed. like i said, he still in our best 22 and probably our best /2nd best defender.

Last edited:
Personally I think Lukosius will end his career as an untapped talent. Seems content to float through his career playing on his terms and isn’t the dominant strong contested marking key forward we need.

I’m hope we steer clear. Particularly if the price is a future first. Which could very easily be a top 5 pick with our list demographics.
Bloody knightmare used to rub over lukocious

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back