List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn are set to dominate (again),
Fly needs to stop trying being mates with everybody and mark his ground. He’s the boss. It’s his turf. He needs to call the shots. Starting with the mess in the VFL. He needs to be the one having the tough conversations. With players and coaching staff alike.
As a Premiership coach, he has rank.
It’s time he use it.
Malthouse was a hard-arse. It was his club and the players still loved him. Alpha male sportsmen respect other alphas.

It’s amazing that our coach - with all the faults and failings identitied in your post - managed to coach us to a flag less than 12 months ago.

We don’t know the inner details of his coaching style, and we know there have been challenges faced by him this year which haven’t worked to his or our advantage, but I’d leave it up to him to coach as he thinks fit. For the players he has, the assistants under him, and the club culture he has nurtured.

The big bodied thing is overstated.
I’d rather someone who has either class, poise or explosiveness.
Centre bounce and clearance situations are for natural footballers or players who are on the move.

We waste a premium spot on the ground for a bit body who can “tackle” as his only real weapon with no other tools.
I don’t wanna bag out Long but that’s the truth.
He had 13 touches despite playing the entire game on ball…
Wasting a premium spot and genuine support for Naicos.

Whoever thinks Naicos wants to be handballing or working in tandem with a player like Long…should be shown the door asap.

He shouldn't, Long isn't good enough at this time. But there are some really good inside bulls that would allow Naicos to go around the pack rather than through it. Tom Mitchell is great, but clearly coming to the end and not sure when he will be healthy again.

Moore to Dees for Petracca in a history repeats itself move 😂
Bloody hell, I was devo when that happened, had number 30 on my duffle coat, proud as punch and then he nicks off.
I ripped that number off my jacket so fast, I ripped the shite out of it.
NOPE, Moore has to stay, they can have Lippa, Johnson and Freddy.

Interim board set up a best practice panel to hire Fly and his assistants.

Brown came in an old fashioned takeover style

Old fashioned Eddie style appointment of Kelly

This weirdness straight after a flag.

Bring back Korda.
I liked the humble approach under Korda. He wouldn’t have been one to publicly boast about us being a destination club or outline a desire to chase free agents/trade to remain in contention.

I liked the humble approach under Korda. He wouldn’t have been one to publicly boast about us being a destination club or outline a desire to chase free agents/trade to remain in contention.

The unfortunate nature of organisational management is that humility is a fantastic trait for the head job, but the humble rarely get the head job as you need to self promote to get there.

The unfortunate nature of organisational management is that humility is a fantastic trait for the head job, but the humble rarely get the head job as you need to self promote to get there.
Fair summary. Perhaps that’s why Korda was on the board and vp for years before stepping up

I think we need to replace Murphy with a like, and need another 2 young mids to back up Naicos over coming years. But watching many games this year it appears speed is one of the essences to winning many games, and pressure. Watching Hawks yesterday, I couldnt really name one player who was standout, they just all played well across the field, and were quick to roll back and defend - something our mids rehulalrly do not do ( no tank on players like Bytel, Long etc I guess).

Banging on incessantly about the trade for Schultz by SO many posters here is tiresome, meaningless and a waste of bandwidth, Thattrade is not the reason for dropoff, other teams worked us out and countered accordingly, and we got shown up.. Our lack of talented depth also showed.

We keep recruiting, keep training and have acrack again next yeat hopefully with less injuries and maybe one or two nuggets picked up in trading.

Lol if you think people complaining about the Sxhultz deal has anything to do with us dropping off....in fact I'm sure you know no one has attributed it to that and it is squarely about not having our First rounder when the drop off happened because we overpaid.

Last edited:
I have thought about lack of midfield depth a little more and It feels like every other club has midfielders in waiting playing in half back/half forward type roles. It is not that they are plucking them out of their VFL side like we seem to have to.

We seem to have gone down the specific role player path, forward and back which has hampered the depth quality in midfield. When we have experienced injuries this year, instead of having that half back like a Rivers/Richards or a half forward/winger like a Durham to shift in there, we have had to bring in guys from the VFL to play heavy midfield minutes.

Beau physically profiles as someone who could potentially play midfield, but I am not sure if he can find enough of the footy. Maynard has always been someone that I have thought could be good in there, but we have rarely considered throwing him in there. Does Quaynor have midfield potential? We just don't seem to have many options to move in there.

It makes sense in a perfect world with no injuries, but the role player strategy is perhaps more susceptible to injuries.

I’d like to see McCreery and Allan spend whole pre-season learning centre square from Mitchell, and Quaynor moved up to a wing role, replacing Sidey. Gives us three big bodies closer to the action and more speed too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Plus there is 5 years of a big contract remaining. If he was to move to another club, negotiations regarding the new club taking on over $1M a year would have to enter the trade negotiations.
If he left the Dees, that would give them massive salary cap space. They could poach out a couple of free agent stars...

Let’s not waste any more time and energy discussing Petracca. We are zero chance of landing him.

We can’t even land top tier Unrestricted Free Agents, let alone someone with 5 years of a lucrative contract still to run. The Petracca talk is fantasy-land.

It’s amazing that our coach - with all the faults and failings identitied in your post - managed to coach us to a flag less than 12 months ago.

We don’t know the inner details of his coaching style, and we know there have been challenges faced by him this year which haven’t worked to his or our advantage, but I’d leave it up to him to coach as he thinks fit. For the players he has, the assistants under him, and the club culture he has nurtured.

I think he'll learn a hell of a lot from this year. year 1 he created a style of footy and caught everyone off guard. no lead was safe.

year 3 and teams are using the same style against us.

this year the plans haven't worked and players have performed poorly but he's had poor tactical games.

all lessons to learn.

Our last B2B was 90? years ago

Other clubs have at least managed some B2Bs

Why hasn't Collingwood been able to do so since before WW 2?

2011 was prime example of a self inflicted stuff up in this regard - our 2010 team was the youngest premiership team for quite some time
Given you’ve indicated its the only time in 90years we’ve had chance for B2B shows it’s very hard to do.

He shouldn't, Long isn't good enough at this time. But there are some really good inside bulls that would allow Naicos to go around the pack rather than through it. Tom Mitchell is great, but clearly coming to the end and not sure when he will be healthy again.
Most in-side mid-fielders are one position players, all clubs need at least one good in-side mid, having two is often a luxury that means clubs can't devote resources to cover another position. Given our lack of an emerging in-side mid who is AFL ready, Titch's age and recent injury woes, I was wondering if we need a stop-gap measure like recruiting a player like Dion Prestia - he's an A grade in-side mid when fit, won't cost much and the Human Meatball and Titch could effectively job share for one or two seasons. Together they could take some of the pressure off Naics, assist the development coaches in bringing on an emerging in-side mid whilst helping us stay in the premiership window for maybe one more year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he'll learn a hell of a lot from this year. year 1 he created a style of footy and caught everyone off guard. no lead was safe.

year 3 and teams are using the same style against us.

this year the plans haven't worked and players have performed poorly but he's had poor tactical games.

all lessons to learn.

Fair points. I was commenting more on his coaching style in response to the poster who suggested he should - in essence - not be so nice.

His strategy for winning games is another matter, and I agree he would have learnt from this year.

Fly’s also still relatively inexperienced as a senior coach, so plenty of development left in him too.

Further to the above - I think Fly’s coaching style has done wonders. But not so much his game style or game plan in 2024.

Last edited:
Most in-side mid-fielders are one position players, all clubs need at least one good in-side mid, having two is often a luxury that means clubs can't devote resources to cover another position. Given our lack of an emerging in-side mid who is AFL ready, Titch's age and recent injury woes, I was wondering if we need a stop-gap measure like recruiting a player like Dion Prestia - he's an A grade in-side mid when fit, won't cost much and the Human Meatball and Titch could effectively job share for one or two seasons. Together they could take some of the pressure off Naics, assist the development coaches in bringing on an emerging in-side mid whilst helping us stay in the premiership window for maybe one more year.
Prestia would be a consideration if his body wasn’t constantly letting him down. His durability is a huge issue.

Prestia would be a consideration if his body wasn’t constantly letting him down. His durability is a huge issue.
Agree, wondered if both Titch and Prestia were able to look after themselves a bit more, they'd be available more often.

Agree, wondered if both Titch and Prestia were able to look after themselves a bit more, they'd be available more often.
bit harsh on Mitchell not looking after himself? His injuries have been "structural" which are a bit hard to guard against unless he has osteoporosis and hasn't been drinking his milk.

Prestia has been plagued by soft tissue injuries - more an age/susceptibility thing than conditioning.

So he'll take the reigns of the biggest club in the country, in an absolutely vital role with 3 quarters of the year as a stand in as experience, not including one trade/draft period. This is a bloke who came to the club as a coach, not someone involved in list management or recruiting. Leppa seems like a guy with a brilliant football brain but you need more than a football brain in this role. But when I said I'm not sure, I meant it, it could be a great move. The best person for the job might happen to be already at the club working as an assistant coach, and this might be his calling, so I'm course hoping for the best.

He was involved in recruiting when he was an assistant for us - don't know about Tigers - but would have also been when he was head coach at Brissy. And now a stint in GW's part of the role. He's not inexperienced.

Let’s not waste any more time and energy discussing Petracca. We are zero chance of landing him.

We can’t even land top tier Unrestricted Free Agents, let alone someone with 5 years of a lucrative contract still to run. The Petracca talk is fantasy-land.

Well it can happen, the club just needs to be bold and creative in trading, and that's with a player that could be expendable...

Ah yes but if we'd kept our first round pick the pipe dream could have been a reality! Spare me!!

That’s right. We are no chance. On the Blues board he’s going to them for Cerra and a future 2nd.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back