List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

While we have an offer for richards, they mentioned there is interest from elsewhere, particularly with Port adelaide. So its a wait and see how that progresses.

Apart from interest in keane, we arent linked to any of the other 40 players they mentioned
Port have only got pick 37 from a quick glance. Yeah nah. We took him in the 40’s and he’s shown afl quality. Would take more than that. They’ve got even less than us to trade with

My point was that good player = 3 first rounders, which had never ever been the case previously. Albeit they weren't top 5 picks or anything like that.

On the other hand... Nick Daicos is about the only player I wouldn't trade for Petracca.
I think it's more that those later first round picks have been devalued. It means it's really bloody hard for stars to get to good teams. They could get to cellar dwellers though as top picks have probably gone up in value.

I think it's why they'll move to being able to trade 2 years in advance - probably an AFLPA push as much as anything. Giving greater freedom of movement.

Use him as part of any proposal to get Bergman ....
Bergman is probably the only player I’d trade a future first for. Murphy-like defensively but with the skill set to fill out roles as a running defender and even winger if need be.

The idea of Petracca playing for Collingwood is amazing, but I think it falls under the same category of Barrass - Short-sighted and not right in terms of age profile for the cost needed to sign him. We’ve won a flag but we’ve made poor decisions that have spoiled any chance of building a long-term juggernaut. We’ll never know what happens in 2025 if we get a good run with injuries but the safe play is that we simply won’t win the premiership and are better off aiming to build a great side that can contend in 4 years’ time.

Bergman is probably the only player I’d trade a future first for. Murphy-like defensively but with the skill set to fill out roles as a running defender and even winger if need be.

The idea of Petracca playing for Collingwood is amazing, but I think it falls under the same category of Barrass - Short-sighted and not right in terms of age profile for the cost needed to sign him. We’ve won a flag but we’ve made poor decisions that have spoiled any chance of building a long-term juggernaut. We’ll never know what happens in 2025 if we get a good run with injuries but the safe play is that we simply won’t win the premiership and are better off aiming to build a great side that can contend in 4 years’ time.
Good take. The cost of acquiring Petracca would be prohibitive. I'd also rather we offer LDU any money that we would be paying Petracca, given the respective ages of both players and our need to rejuvenate our list across the next 2 or 3 seasons.

As I've said previously, the 2024/25 trade windows should in some ways be seen as the same window. We have very little currency for 2024 (at the moment) however this shouldn't force us into short-sighted plays heading into 2025.

We're either good enough in season 2025 with our current list and a few tweaks to provide further depth, or we're not and we stockpile more currency to trade for restricted free agents in 2025, such as LDU, as well as try to nab any quality unrestricted free agents that fill needs within the squad.

And so it starts (if it hasn't already behind the scenes).... I'd really like to see us hold onto McInnes, as he would seem to have more versatility than Fin. If we can find the right role for him (defence/mid/forward) , I reckon he'd be a real asset.

And so it starts (if it hasn't already behind the scenes).... I'd really like to see us hold onto McInnes, as he would seem to have more versatility than Fin. If we can find the right role for him (defence/mid/forward) , I reckon he'd be a real asset.
Does anyone really read the zerohanger crsp

So what? Doesn't mean we needed to trade our vice captain whilst he was still contracted. We can give him more security this year or trade him this year.
It’s because he was our vice captain, who was held with high regard by the Club that we allowed him to move for deal we couldn’t match.
For a younger player we may have well held out.

Last edited:

IF we got Bergman that would open the door for Noble to be traded out....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions traded pick 6 and pick 19 for Neale. That’s about what you’d expect as a minimum. Or something similar to Dunkley trade.
Bargaining chip is Petraccas age. 29 at start of next season.
Would love him but it’s dream land.
Melbourne would probably give us CP if we took Oliver and his wage with him.

https://www.zerohanger.com/carlton-...oalkicking-crown-ahead-of-final-round-153946/

Another strange case in our list management strategy. We cut a project tall in McMahon after just two years when he was always going to take longer to develop but then later prioritise SSP signings like Eyre who was just picked later in the same draft and is performing at a worse level in the VFL so no closer to helping us contend now. Similarly, now giving opportunities to Bytel in the seniors when he's just a softer version of Poulter with a worse kick.

Under McCrae, we've been surprisingly poor at developing our young draftees. Basically no one has been given enough of an opportunity apart from Naicos who was a no brainer and McCreery. Instead we're now way overindexed on SSP list cloggers.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back