List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be nice if we could get senior games into them.
Yeah, we can't expect them to wait around forever until these older players decide to give it up.
Heppell did it well, he could have gone on, but he decided it was best for the younger players he doesnt, so he gives them opportunity and for the club to move forward.

I think this is a huge risk and big mistake.

Hawthorn showed the way be allowing star Premiership players Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Gunston, etc to move to other clubs for the last year or two of their careers, which created spaces and opportunities for the youngsters that they restocked with. Now look at them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Mitchell and Lewis paved the way for Tom Mitchell and O’Meara. Not the best comparison.

And funnily enough, picking up Gunston again this year has been a very successful move.

Agreed. Imagine the hole when nearly all of those nine players retire within the space of 13 months (end of 2025 to end of 2026 seasons).

Retaining all of those players indicates that our club hierarchy thinks we're a chance of going deep in Finals next year. I reckon they're deluded.

I hope nobody on here whinges next season about a lack of foot speed, lack of two-way running and torn hammies/calves, or blames our fitness and conditioning staff for any of those things.
What difference does it make? If they get injured then the kids you want to play, get a chance. Them playing next season or not has 0 impact on our future. Keeping players like Sidey on the list do however help the kids learn from an elite player and what’s required.

It would be nice if we could get senior games into them.
Finn has really fallen out of favor, although he has similar stats to Long (but has more tackles) and Sully. He has similar stats to Bytel, but he plays more wing than inside mid.

Maybe they just don't see Finn as a future player for us anymore.

I guess i was just hoping more younger players would be stamping their authority, since we've had so many injuries.

I think this is a huge risk and big mistake.

Hawthorn showed the way be allowing star Premiership players Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Gunston, etc to move to other clubs for the last year or two of their careers, which created spaces and opportunities for the youngsters that they restocked with. Now look at them.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Melb also did it with the opposite results to Haw.

Mitchell and Lewis paved the way for Tom Mitchell and O’Meara. Not the best comparison.

And funnily enough, picking up Gunston again this year has been a very successful move.
Mitchell and Lewis leaving has had zero effect on the current Hawthorn side FWIW

Do agree on Gunston, he’s helped as a mentor figure to their forwards

Reported that all of our current 9 x 30+ year olds will play on next year with Sidebottom being offered a contract for next year. This is quite poor

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m not sure what the fuss is about, I did a post last week responding to a poster lamenting we’ll have 13 players 29 or older next year.
Melb will have 18
BNE, PA, SWANS -11
Carlton - 12

Regardless, the age/talent profile of our list sucks. Its completely out of balance. It was already over the hill last year but, miraculously, everything went right and our aging stars turned back the clock for one glorious season of overachievement. But, injury- and impact-wise, time caught up with most of them this year and that will only get worse next year. Get ready for lots of Dad's Army jokes next year.

I’m not sure what the fuss is about, I did a post last week responding to a poster lamenting we’ll have 13 players 29 or older next year.
Melb will have 18
BNE, PA, SWANS -11
Carlton - 12
Instead of age 29, what does it look like if you pick 31? Or 32?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What difference does it make? If they get injured then the kids you want to play, get a chance. Them playing next season or not has 0 impact on our future. Keeping players like Sidey on the list do however help the kids learn from an elite player and what’s required.
Players in their early 20's don't get soft tissue injuries anywhere near as often as players in their late 20's and early 30's. And old players are generally slower, less agile, tire more quickly and take longer to recover. Having so much of our list in that high risk age bracket is asking for trouble, IMO. We could easily have half of them continuously unavailable throughout the season next year. A revolving door at the scanning clinic and rehab pool.

Regardless, the age/talent profile of our list sucks. Its completely out of balance. It was already over the hill last year but, miraculously, everything went right and our aging stars turned back the clock for one glorious season of overachievement. But, injury- and impact-wise, time caught up with most of them this year and that will only get worse next year. Get ready for lots of Dad's Army jokes next year.
You mean like Geelong have copped these past few years. It must be terrible! Everything did not go right last year. We lost key players to injury and played without a ruckman for five or six weeks. We entered the GF without our best key forward and a key mid and then lost another outstanding defender early in the game. The day was set up for the Lions and we dominated general play for most of the day and should have won comfortably in spite of all of the setbacks.

Better still - it would be nice if those young players could bash the door down with break-out performances and claim Best 22 spots without waiting for them to be gifted to them. That's something that so far Fin and Reef have not been able to do.
Just like Ned Long and Bytel have been bashing the door down amidst all their eye catching breakout performances...

How do draftees break into a team that’s performing so well, with PF and Flag in successive years? By definition this high level of performance of the best 22, meant breaking in for a draftee was impossible.
For every McMahon and Poulter there are far far more where delisting was the correct decision.
In fact I think you are grossly over estimating what each of them will achieve.
We're in 2024 not 22/23. We haven't been performing well and have had a ton of injuries where we could've backed in our opportunity starved recent draftees and finally see what they're made of.

Instead we've gifted games to our SSP players who have been mediocre at best in the seniors. Certainly haven't helped us win given we're bottom 8 atm

Just like Ned Long and Bytel have been bashing the door down amidst all their eye catching breakout performances...
Virtually none of them have! That's the problem. Really only Harrison has done it and now the poor guy is out for 12 months. Richards made an immediate impact at senior level too but he's already in his mid-20's. And clearly the coaches don't have much faith in the situation changing next year, so have chosen to retain all of our near-retirement stars.

You mean like Geelong have copped these past few years. It must be terrible! Everything did not go right last year. We lost key players to injury and played without a ruckman for five or six weeks. We entered the GF without our best key forward and a key mid and then lost another outstanding defender early in the game. The day was set up for the Lions and we dominated general play for most of the day and should have won comfortably in spite of all of the setbacks.
Yes, it was magnificent but is unravelling fast because of our aging list and shallow pool of talented youngsters. Where do you see improvement coming from in 2025, especially relative to the improvements that our competitors will make?

For those thinking that Melbourne would shed Petracca if he wanted out, despite him having 5 years left on contract, on top of facilitating a deal for Neale-Bullen and possibly losing Oliver, how do you think Melbourne sells this to their members and other players such as Gawn, Pickett, May, Lever, Van Rooyen, Fritsch etc.?

There would surely have to be contingencies put in place before agreeing to gut 2/3 of a dominant Premiership winning midfield, as draft picks aren’t a short term solution.

Instead, isn’t it easier to sell change to players on long term deals and to replace the coaching and medical staff?

In my view maybe Oliver leaves, but only if Melbourne extract full price which might be a few high draft picks or a pick and an established mid who’s ready to play starting midfield from first bounce next season.
It was interesting to hear Jack Riewoldt and Jordan Lewis on AFL 360 tonight.
Their view is no player is bigger than the club and if if a player really doesn’t want to be there, you are better off without them. Otherwise, if you don’t let them go, they are forced to play on next year and all they’re thinking about the whole year is getting to the end of the next season when they’ll be able to request a trade again.

It was interesting to hear Jack Riewoldt and Jordan Lewis on AFL 360 tonight.
Their view is no player is bigger than the club and if if a player really doesn’t want to be there, you are better off without them. Otherwise, if you don’t let them go, they are forced to play on next year and all they’re thinking about the whole year is getting to the end of the next season when they’ll be able to request a trade again.
They're a basketcase, whichever way they go now.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back