List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Sidey and particularly Pendles are well worth another year. Still valued players in the side this year and to those that want to move them on and give some kids a run, then let those kids earn a spot not one because it’s been vacated.
They will retire eventually, Pendles sometime next century probably, and then their spots will need to be taken.
People are too happy to see the back of champions. They’ll be valuable teaching resources for every other player in the club. On and off the field.

"Collingwood duo Fin Macrae and Reef McInnes are gettable this off-season according to AFL Media’s Cal Twomey.

The duo, who were drafted at picks No. 19 and No. 23 in the 2020 Draft, have shown glimpses throughout their four years at Collingwood but haven’t locked down a senior position.

As Macrae has played just eight times in 2024 and McInnes nine times, Twomey says that both players could be pried out of Collingwood if a suitor came along.

At this stage, Macrae is contracted until the end of the 2025 season while McIness, who is out of contract at the end of the campaign, is still awaiting a new deal."

All I can say is doh. :rolleyes:

Things we need to weigh up before trading a F1:

-who is coming out of contract and is gettable at the end of 2025?

- who can/have we spoken to as RFA or FA? Should look at teams in the bottom half as they won’t match a bid.

- can we trade a F1 for Sydney’s picks 18 and 19 which may get pushed out if this draft is so even?

- can we package points for GC or Brisbane first rounder if they need them for an Academy/F/S player?

- are we risking not being able to trade a F1 back in for Mcguane if required?

- end of 2025 we can trade 2026 and 2027 F1’s if needed

And Clayton Oliver. He’s gettable at a fire sale price. He would walk straight into our first choice stoppages group.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I'm with you.

Get Clarry
Get Jordy fit
Crisp rolls back to replace Noble as a back half runner.

Big upgrades in areas of need.

Add in some strategy changes.

Win flag.

Simple.

Last edited:
And our newly formed drug rehab group

To improve our list with a weak draft hand, we’re going to have to take some calculated risks on a player or two with proven A-grade abilities but currently on the outer and trading at a discounted price. Model citizen B-graders won’t come cheap and won’t improve us much, whilst genuine A-graders are all out of reach. And Oliver is a contested ball beast, which is a huge hole in our line-up.

- who is coming out of contract and is gettable at the end of 2024...and what if a curveball arises

- who can/have we spoken to as RFA or FA? Should look at teams in the bottom half as they won’t match a bid.

- what are we risking in terms of trading / draft manoeuvrability
Buy Delorean

Then above EFA

Sidey and particularly Pendles are well worth another year. Still valued players in the side this year and to those that want to move them on and give some kids a run, then let those kids earn a spot not one because it’s been vacated.
They will retire eventually, Pendles sometime next century probably, and then their spots will need to be taken.
People are too happy to see the back of champions. They’ll be valuable teaching resources for every other player in the club. On and off the field.

Yeah lets not go the Dees 2010's version or the Roos. Veterans are important , they can plug and play almost anywhere on the ground. Lets do that with them until the spots are filled with youth pushing them out.

To improve our list with a weak draft hand, we’re going to have to take some calculated risks on a player or two with proven A-grade abilities but currently on the outer and trading at a discounted price. Model citizen B-graders won’t come cheap and won’t improve us much, whilst genuine A-graders are all out of reach. And Oliver is a contested ball beast, which is a huge hole in our line-up.

caveat emptor

we never learn

- can we trade a F1 for Sydney’s picks 18 and 19 which may get pushed out if this draft is so even?

- can we package points for GC or Brisbane first rounder if they need them for an Academy/F/S player?

I feel like some of our list managers and people involved in these decisions need to start playing some sport simulation games where you manage a list. There would be kids on NBA2K24 that would have better roster development than what we have had in the past

It was interesting to hear Jack Riewoldt and Jordan Lewis on AFL 360 tonight.
Their view is no player is bigger than the club and if if a player really doesn’t want to be there, you are better off without them. Otherwise, if you don’t let them go, they are forced to play on next year and all they’re thinking about the whole year is getting to the end of the next season when they’ll be able to request a trade again.
Yeh, never an easy decision, particularly if it may mean multiple departures (think Brisbane and the 'go home' 5).

Riewoldt and Lewis would obviously approach the issue from a player's perspective, where buy-in from the group is seen as a pre-requisite to success. Counter to that though would be board and organisational considerations, as well as a few examples here and there where players have sought to move unsuccessfully but things didn't eventuate and they've ended up staying (i.e. Ryan O'Keefe, Lachie Neale).

In my view Petracca's 5-year deal will provide Melbourne with enough of a basis upon which to try and convince Petracca to stay, even if it means a strain in the relationship in the short-term.

Trac is a pipe-dream. They desperately want to keep him and will demand a King’s ransom in picks to get him. By contrast, I reckon Dees are sick of Clarry and he’s sick of them. Both club and player need a fresh start.

There’s a deal to be done there for a club willing to take the risk. Given our weak draft hand, I reckon this is the sort of risk/return deal we need to go looking for.

Imagine if Oliver could get back near his best? He’d be a big upgrade on Mitchell. The Daicos bros and DeGoey would feast on his clearances.

Not sure he’s a “ big “ upgrade on mitchell
I’d like him tho if his off field issues can be controlled

Mitchells loss is one the reasons why our inside game has gone down the toilet

"Collingwood duo Fin Macrae and Reef McInnes are gettable this off-season according to AFL Media’s Cal Twomey.

The duo, who were drafted at picks No. 19 and No. 23 in the 2020 Draft, have shown glimpses throughout their four years at Collingwood but haven’t locked down a senior position.

As Macrae has played just eight times in 2024 and McInnes nine times, Twomey says that both players could be pried out of Collingwood if a suitor came along.

At this stage, Macrae is contracted until the end of the 2025 season while McIness, who is out of contract at the end of the campaign, is still awaiting a new deal.

All I can say is doh. :rolleyes:

Yep.

In trade terms, both Fin and Reef would have slipped >20 draft places on what we originally picked them at. We really should have traded them both a year ago, before their struggles became obvious to all. It’s shaping as the Brown brothers all over again with these two. So many years on our list and we end up giving them away for next to nothing or delisting.

We need to get much better and faster at developing, evaluating and trading/cutting young players. Hanging on to someone for 4-6 seasons to then delist is very costly.

Ironically, the guy we did cut quickly was Poulter, who showed plenty of (erratic) talent and is now going very nicely at the Bulldogs. 🤷🏻‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mac Andrew is out of contract at the Suns.

We're in 2024 not 22/23. We haven't been performing well and have had a ton of injuries where we could've backed in our opportunity starved recent draftees and finally see what they're made of.

Instead we've gifted games to our SSP players who have been mediocre at best in the seniors. Certainly haven't helped us win given we're bottom 8 atm
A quote from your post that I replied to.
So asked and answered.
“Under McCrae, we've been surprisingly poor at developing our young draftees.”

And Clayton Oliver. He’s gettable at a fire sale price. He would walk straight into our first choice stoppages group.

If Melbourne and Oliver want to part ways, we could get him for peanuts.
His best footy is great and exactly what we need - it's a question of whether we could get him physically and mentally right.
I'd still rather Petracca, but that would be unlikely.

Virtually none of them have! That's the problem. Really only Harrison has done it and now the poor guy is out for 12 months. Richards made an immediate impact at senior level too but he's already in his mid-20's. And clearly the coaches don't have much faith in the situation changing next year, so have chosen to retain all of our near-retirement stars.
So you want us to believe the Veterans are passed it, and only being re-signed because our youth are not good enough to replace them.
I think you’re underestimating the insight of our Coaches.

A quote from your post that I replied to.
So asked and answered.
“Under McCrae, we've been surprisingly poor at developing our young draftees.”
Yes this year especially. Apart from Harrison, he has not being able to develop another best 22 player from our last four drafts. Despite numerous injuries and opportunities to pump games into young players, he's wasted countless match experience on the likes of Bytel/Long/Sullivan

I'm with you.

Get Clarry
Get Jordy fit
Crisp rolls back to replace Noble as a back half runner.

Some strategy changes.

Win flag.

Simple.
Why do we want the headache of trying to Rehabilitate Clarry? The constant relapses should be instructive that we are taking on a nightmare.
He’d have to be a bargain basement acquisition to take on that risk.

Why do we want the headache of trying to Rehabilitate Clarry? The constant relapses should be instructive that we are taking on a nightmare.
He’d have to be a bargain basement acquisition to take on that risk.

The assumption is that he'd be dirt cheap.

Got to take risks.

I think there's very little chance we'll do it. But if Melbourne are trying to unload - give it a go.

Last edited:
Yeh, never an easy decision, particularly if it may mean multiple departures (think Brisbane and the 'go home' 5).

Riewoldt and Lewis would obviously approach the issue from a player's perspective, where buy-in from the group is seen as a pre-requisite to success. Counter to that though would be board and organisational considerations, as well as a few examples here and there where players have sought to move unsuccessfully but things didn't eventuate and they've ended up staying (i.e. Ryan O'Keefe, Lachie Neale).

In my view Petracca's 5-year deal will provide Melbourne with enough of a basis upon which to try and convince Petracca to stay, even if it means a strain in the relationship in the short-term.
Riewoldt and Lewis both played for very successful clubs that each won 3 flags in a dominant stretch. Their viewpoints were definitely as players but also from the club’s perspective as it is of paramount importance and a prerequisite for success as you mentioned.
it will be interesting ti see how it plays out.

So you want us to believe the Veterans are passed it, and only being re-signed because our youth are not good enough to replace them.
I think you’re underestimating the insight of our Coaches.

Yes, your first paragraph is a good summary of my opinion. Accordingly I expect to see us slide further down the ladder next season. But I can live with that after all of the joy and excitement that the team has delivered over 2022 and 2023.

Yes, your first paragraph is a good summary of my opinion. Accordingly I expect to see us slide further down the ladder next season. But I can live with that after all of the joy and excitement that the team has delivered over 2022 and 2023.

I’ll back the Coaches that they know the Veterans are NOT passed it, and have earned their extension.

With an easier draw in 2025, and improved injury list we are not sliding down the ladder.
It’s entirely improbable re-signing Sidey and Pendles will cause a drop.

Last edited:

I thought we were going back to back.
We won the flag.
McStay would be back.
A trade period to come.
Look out.
I temper my disappointment of this season with the fact that we’re still reigning Premiers at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back