List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Not relevant to your bagging of our list and 30+ cohort, while Geel with a similar profile and likely to finish Top 4.

None of those players are the reason they’ve bounced back.

You’re very black and white, in all senses of the phrase, aren’t you? No analysis or criticism of the Club/team will be tolerated! 🤣

I don’t think it’s particularly controversial to say that we are far too dependent on players nearing retirement, or to suggest that our crop of U25 players is one of the weakest in the competition.

If you disagree please tell me which teams rely more on 30+ aged players and also which teams have weaker sets of U25 players. I challenge you to name them.

As far as Geelong goes, IMO they clearly have a much better/deeper set of U25 players, built on a superior recent drafting, developing and trading record. Do you truly disagree?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not relevant to your bagging of our list and 30+ cohort, while Geel with a similar profile and likely to finish Top 4.
None of those players from those picks are the reason they’ve bounced back.

I’m being completely clear not obtuse - you are writing off our squad as being uncompetitive next year, while ignoring the achievements of Geel this year after horrendous injuries in 2023.
The parallels are obvious.

Lucky, Digressing to trading doesn’t change the obvious parallels.
Geelong's list might have a similar age average (lower once Hawkins is taken out), but they've had some outstanding young players break through too (Holmes, Guthrie, Dempsey, Humphries, Myers) whilst 2 of their older players (Cameron and Stewart) are AA stars level stars. Our older players have been good/reliable at best but none are breaking games apart like those two + danger.

I have no issues with us having another crack next year, I'm pretty content after last year, but I don't think Geelong's situation is similar to ours. if we could bring in 3 or 4 young players like they did I'd be feeling more comfy though!

Latest Trac rumour (not sourced🤣) I heard was he was in Noosa for five weeks and Melbourne couldn’t get him back that’s where all this started. Also heard he has met with North.

Unconfirmed but if Noosa is true then I would say he is gone. Based on past rumours if he stays I expect Oliver will be gone.

Interesting to see how this develops because it seems a fractured club right now.

Remember last trade period and early season the media were running with Oliver is done at the club.

Melbourne have to say they are contracted players and required for trade value and brand image with supporters.

Fly stirring the pot is classic 🤣

I’m being completely clear not obtuse - you are writing off our squad as being uncompetitive next year, while ignoring the achievements of Geel this year after horrendous injuries in 2023.

When we boil it all down, I think our list is in decline in both absolute and relative senses and that we’ll fall further down the ladder next year. You disagree, which is fine. In 12 months’ time, one of us will be more correct than the other. (I hope it’s you.). Until then, we’re both just speculating and hypothesising.

I agree with you No SPIN, whilst Geelong's haul in '22 was impressive, it was a little confusing to me for the current Premiership club to adopt what amounted to a youth policy. I'd argue that Geelong in 2022 would have been better served in the short term had they recruited like we did - their side with McStay, Titch, Bobby and Frampton would be much stronger now than it is with their 2022 list recruits

Sure, Poulter isn’t a superstar but he’s good enough to play at the top level in a strong side.

I watched him v.closely live at Marvel in the Dogs’ win over the Dees a couple of weeks ago and he was close to 2nd best on ground, behind The Bont. 23 touches, 7 tackles, 6 marks and a goal from outside 50m. Can’t fault those numbers.

Our cupboard ain’t exactly overflowing with talented youngsters - certainly not to the point that we should have DELISTED him after just two seasons. Meanwhile, Fin is about to enter season No.5 with us…..

Macrae was contracted to 2024 at the end of the 2022 season and had shown more at VFL level than Poulter who was uncontracted. Wasn’t a difficult call.

He may end up doing a Blake Acres (6-7 seasons before really nailing a best 22 spot in his last year at Freo) and become a useful role player but I always questioned his output (poor decision maker, poor disposal, turnovers) while he was with us. Not at all disappointed Poulter and McMahon were let go, good luck to both, happy to see them make the grade.

Was actually more disappointed Draper was never the same prospect after his concussion issues, always thought he’d be a very good player.

Next years first will go on Mcguane anyway. We'll get points for young Tom and beef up our midfield for the next 10 years. Hobbs can play, he's worth a first round pick
It's just my opinion, manic. I don't think he worth a first rounder.

I don't think we should trade out a F1 on any player just because there's a future top pick coming in.
We need to use it to it's full value.

I agree with you No SPIN, whilst Geelong's haul in '22 was impressive, it was a little confusing to me for the current Premiership club to adopt what amounted to a youth policy. I'd argue that Geelong in 2022 would have been better served in the short term had they recruited like we did - their side with McStay, Titch, Bobby and Frampton would be much stronger now than it is with their 2022 list recruits
Leaders have greater responsibilities than just focusing on the short term and bolstering the ‘success’ during their tenure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leaders have greater responsibilities than just focusing on the short term and bolstering the ‘success’ during their tenure.
Agree. The recruitment department would be well aware of our list profile, the contract situation for free agents etc from other clubs and are extending our veterans contracts another year. I get the impression that we’ve chosen alternatives to the draft in the short term and bank on having plenty of cash to offer for trades just as Tassie comes in. I am a rank amateur when it comes to these things though.

If Petracca wants out (key word being if) then no way Melbourne will hold firm on contract.

I think that would be a public relations disaster.
He's not publicly gonna say it to avoid that. Unless parties know they can get a deal done.

Every club in the competition is peering over the Melbourne fence.
Geelong on Clayton Oliver. Collingwood on Christian Petracca. Port Adelaide on Kysaiah Pickett.

Rival clubs believe some of Melbourne’s most important players are getting twitchy fingers, sensing it could in fact all blow up in 12 months if the club can’t collectively maximise the riches on its list.

If Collingwood had the picks to trade, you wonder whether Petracca would request if not demand a bombshell move to the Magpies after he was left to play on in the King’s Birthday game with a ruptured spleen, punctured lung and four broken ribs.

Even the Magpies players knew he shouldn’t be out on the field and told him so, before he was shipped to hospital with life-threatening injuries.

No wonder the Petracca family are filthy, albeit in hindsight.

Petracca, who has a Norm Smith Medal and a premiership, has the power to fill his trophy cabinet over his career, and he has always been ambitious from the day he was drafted. He craves success, like all the greats.

Likewise, Geelong have kept an eye on Oliver all season.
Privately, the Cats think they could accommodate Oliver and Western Bulldogs’ Bailey Smith in its salary cap for next season, but a deal for both would be enormously difficult.

But the appeal is obvious.

Geelong has a phenomenal record of getting the best out of its players, even if there is risk attached.

Next years first will go on Mcguane anyway. We'll get points for young Tom and beef up our midfield for the next 10 years. Hobbs can play, he's worth a first round pick
This is the attitude that saw us give up pick 2 for a couple of picks in the 20’s. I’d hope we have learned from that by now.

This is the attitude that saw us give up pick 2 for a couple of picks in the 20’s. I’d hope we have learned from that by now.
Yup
Trading 1st rounders a year prior never have worked our well for us in the past. lets not get sucked into that again. Lets wait until next year when we know the rules. If we have to trade it for points, then we'll get more value than we would now.

As of end of 2023, I’m not sure we have learned.
I’ll reserve judgement until after 2024 trade period.

Also, have you seen the comments in the thread saying it’s lucky we don’t have a 1st rounder bc we might pick a bust…? That’s the spirit.

Yup
Trading 1st rounders a year prior never have worked our well for us in the past. lets not get sucked into that again. Lets wait until next year when we know the rules. If we have to trade it for points, then we'll get more value than we would now.
Only caveat I’d place on this might be if a team thinks we will end up down the bottom.

Now, Richmond might think it better to bring in 3 first rounders in 2024 and 2 in 2025 rather than the 5 firsts they might have in 2024.
They might be willing to ship 2 out for our future first.

Or Swans / Freo might prefer our high 2025 pick rather than 2 late first rounders this year.

If, on draft night, we see a couple sliders we really like (mids / KPP) towards the end of the first, there may be value in trading into 2 picks late in the round.

Only caveat I’d place on this might be if a team thinks we will end up down the bottom.

Now, Richmond might think it better to bring in 3 first rounders in 2024 and 2 in 2025 rather than the 5 firsts they might have in 2024.
They might be willing to ship 2 out for our future first.

Or Swans / Freo might prefer our high 2025 pick rather than 2 late first rounders this year.

If, on draft night, we see a couple sliders we really like (mids / KPP) towards the end of the first, there may be value in trading into 2 picks late in the round.
The old ‘we’re smarter than those guys’. Hadn’t worked well over the last decade.

You would think we will have a top 5 pick at the end of next year. Opposition won’t be banking on it being top 2.

Last edited:
My comment wasn't related to leadership, just an approach based on optimizing opportunities whilst a team is in the Premiership window - once a team is there, it make sense to put more focus on operational and tactical level activities to enhance the chance of staying in the premiership window and less focus on strategic opportunities.

As of end of 2023, I’m not sure we have learned.
I’ll reserve judgement until after 2024 trade period.

Also, have you seen the comments in the thread saying it’s lucky we don’t have a 1st rounder bc we might pick a bust…? That’s the spirit.
Yeah, lucky we don’t have a first rounder, because it might be a bust or shockingly we could trade it for a player who’s actually worth it’s value 🙄🙄

I love heading in to the end of the season knowing we’ll miss finals and the only thing we’ll have to show for it is a role playing small forward (who could have been taken as a FA this year) and the joy of seeing Fremantle take a top 10 pick to the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back