List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely there are better options?
For the trade cost, I’d rather keep Finn.
Not comparable imo. Last year Hobbs had many games getting over 20 possessions in his second season of AFL. This year he's been pushed out with Durham and Caldwell becoming locks. Their current development of first round picks is about as bad as any I've seen with guys like Hobbs, Tsatas and Perkins all stagnant and perhaps a new environment could kick start them. I think they had 3 picks inside 10 one year and none look like making it.

Hobbs has been disappointing tonight. Has continually been burnt by his opponent and has hung off the contest looking for any easy stat

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I hope we don't target him. Looks an inside only plodder to me. And I think they're a dying breed.

If Titch returns ok, he'll go from fringe with them to fringe with us. You need your midfield depth to be able to hold their place in the team in another role.

Last edited:

As this year has shown, we definitely need some depth in the inside extractor role with Mitch nearing the end and Finn likely not fit for task.

We want it to be playable depth for next year, ideally someone who helps lower our age profile. Cheapish names thrown around to this point include Berry, Hobbs and Phillips. Who’s the best prospect if the three?

Are there any other young inside mids who can play a role as of next year if required with scope to be solid players?

Sheldrick’s on the outer at the Swans, Davies is always on the fringe at GC, perhaps Stone at the Giants and maybe Chesser at the Eagles. Ultimately though most of these guys will just get spat out of the system and the answer could be staring us in the face in Long who’s shown as much as any of them.

IMO, we’re better off filling that role through an established fit if we’re pro scouting it and focus on traits for those fringe types. Think Hawthorn and D’Ambrosio.

Deven Robertson is another we could look at. Potentially a bust, but a fresh start might do him well.
He's under contract until the end of 2025, but could be extracted cheaply if the Lions need draft points.

There's others I like better, but he might be worth a look.

Not sure the same can be said of Adams 😬

He’s now in real danger of having his spot taken by Parker when Papley and Warner are both back. Could you imagine that playing 40+ matches for the minor premier two years running and only playing one final…
Be a real shame if he misses a grand final with the swans. NOT

What's with the Adams hate? Dude was a legitimate Collingwood person. We pushed him towards the door and he read the signs. I don't like the Swans but have mad respect for Grundy and Adams.
It was comments Adams made after he left that left a bad taste - pretty sure that taste was sour grapes.
Ginnivan is another who didn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

I do not believe we have kept all of our 30 year + players in the belief we will challenge for the flag next year. I don't believe we will. Only two of our players have improved, one has stayed thereabouts but the rest have gone backwards. That could be due to gameplan, age or injury or all three

I feel it has more to do with our low draft hand and we by "retiring" them off we will not get like for like. It's up to other's to push them out on form. Browne has stated we as a club will not bottom out under his watch. I also feel that with their relatively low salaries we may be restructuring payments so we pay out Grundy's contract early. We may have somebody on the hook that may warrant front-end loading of the contract

I do not believe we have kept all of our 30 year + players in the belief we will challenge for the flag next year. I don't believe we will. Only two of our players have improved, one has stayed thereabouts but the rest have gone backwards. That could be due to gameplan, age or injury or all three

I feel it has more to do with our low draft hand and we by "retiring" them off we will not get like for like. It's up to other's to push them out on form. Browne has stated we as a club will not bottom out under his watch. I also feel that with their relatively low salaries we may be restructuring payments so we pay out Grundy's contract early. We may have somebody on the hook that may warrant front-end loading of the contract
One of our bright lights from this season will miss a year with an ACL.

What a strange opening sentence, you can believe we've kept our experienced players because we will bounce back and because we will be in contention in a weak competition with no standout teams not to mention the weak draw you get finishing outside of the 8.

What a strange opening sentence, you can believe we've kept our experienced players because we will bounce back and because we will be in contention in a weak competition with no standout teams not to mention the weak draw you get finishing outside of the 8.
That won't happen for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve played most of the season without our two bull mids and both KPF with mcstay and checkers missing large chunks. Having those 4 alone on the park will make a huge difference.

An addition on the cheap of someone like Parker or macrae would also help. We can 100% have another tilt next season. Couple of game plan tweaks in the off season, improvement on transition. I’d back quaynor to get back to his best. Crisp can get back to HBF.

Then with McGuane coming on, we can potentially get two first round quality players when the oldies retire ready for 2026.

Hobbs is fine just needs to play on ball. Essendon have about 8 in their side who are ahead so a lot get pushed to flanks. Like MacRae when he plays half forward, looks lost. Only point getting him would be if we see him alongside Nick and Jordy in the guts.

Didn’t get a chance to watch last nights game, but I tend to agree on Hobbs.

He was fairly comfortably the best inside midfield extractor of his draft class. That’s not the kind of skillset that doesn’t tend to fail to translate. I’d give him a chance for the right price.

Didn’t get a chance to watch last nights game, but I tend to agree on Hobbs.

He was fairly comfortably the best inside midfield extractor of his draft class. That’s not the kind of skillset that doesn’t tend to fail to translate. I’d give him a chance for the right price.

How does he go vs a Tom Greene or Jack Cripps or Bontempelli or other big unit extractors?

Would you trade a future 1st to GWS for either:
  • a young mid with star potential + a KP?
  • two young kids w potential?
  • a young mid w potential and a pick in 2024?

I haven’t really been across how their young players not in the 1s have been going

How does he go vs a Tom Greene or Jack Cripps or Bontempelli or other big unit extractors?

As per the comparison I’ve made previously, with Tay Adams, possibly pretty well. Don’t think size would stop him with his playing style.

All depends whether he can keep developing and translate his junior ability to AFL level.

Right, suppose you were too young for the Tony Shaw years. Which this is starting to remind me of tbh. Two years from now: no Howe, no Mitchell, no Pedlebury, no Sidebottom, maybe no Crisp, no Cox, aging Moore, no Mihocek. No WHE. Anyone I miss?

Have a think about that, Domus. Have a long hard think.

1990 We won the premiership. Then…. A lot like this.
I wish i was too young! I'm 66 in September. I remember the Shaw years.

I think you are being far too pessimistic. Every team which has been playing finals footy for a few consecutive years has older players who will retire.

But during that predicted bleak period when the list you presented are slowly phased out you don't mention the players who gain experience and step up as the next generation.

Why will Moore be going anywhere? Crispy and Checkers will most likely still be playing good footy.

Nick and Josh will be in their prime as will Bobby Hill, Degoey, Schultz, Quaynor, Maynard, Noble and Cameron.

You'd expect players like Richards, Reef, Allan and Harvey Harrison to have stepped up and be playing regularly in the seniors.

Then of course, there is the hope we will nab a couple of good players at trading time. Mark Keane would be a good start.

I feel our club will find a way as it almost always does.

Time will tell.

Can we nab a cadman or ricccardi from gws we better not end up with Caleb Daniel

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back