List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

If I was Melbourne, I'd be negotiating with other Melbourne clubs - get the best offer and tell Petracca that it's us or them. He's on a 5 year contract - he's not an uncontracted player with the whip hand.
I would have been encouraging that around the time of the Beams deal, but that sort of manoeuvring won’t fly with the power of the manager these days. If I was Melbourne I’d be working with Connors sports to get a deal done and making it clear that it needs to be damn strong. Put it on them to do the leg work and get them to talk Petracca off the ledge if Carlton and Collingwood aren’t prepared to go balls to the wall to get him. It would make life much easier if TDK was from the same management group. I’d also stop leaking to the press, but that’s unlikely given the leadership at that club…

Throwing out the names of a guy that would be delisted if he didn’t have a contract and a guy yet to debut isn’t a strong basis for your argument. We might as well factor in Condon as ruck and KPF depth while we’re at it…

Given our supposed interest in Peatling and Davies I’d be surprised if any of Sullivan, Long and Bytel are on the list in 2025.
Macrae delisted? What planet are you on?

Well basically it means, Melbourne don't pay anything on the remaining contract, and put all the monetary responsibility on his new club.
What you're describing is MFC terminating Petracca's contract, which is effectively a de-listing. In that case, they get zero at the trade table and only save the wages bill. MFC supporters would burn the place to the ground if that happened.

Last edited:
It was reported on Fox that Kosi Pickett has requested a trade citing homesickness

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not officially. He just expressed the possibly of exploring one.
But his manager seems to think they'll be able to provide him and his partner with the support they need.

I would have been encouraging that around the time of the Beams deal, but that sort of manoeuvring won’t fly with the power of the manager these days. If I was Melbourne I’d be working with Connors sports to get a deal done and making it clear that it needs to be damn strong. Put it on them to do the leg work and get them to talk Petracca off the ledge if Carlton and Collingwood aren’t prepared to go balls to the wall to get him. It would make life much easier if TDK was from the same management group. I’d also stop leaking to the press, but that’s unlikely given the leadership at that club…

I can't say that I understand the power of the Manager over clubs, but talking him off the ledge might be harder than talking him around to North or a different small Vic club in the likely event that Pies or Blues can't or don't stump up enough.

Last edited:
Trac wants to come to us and won't publicly say it until it is agreed to in principle. Regarding his health, he will be fine, it will take some time though, but he is being ultra conservative. Clearly, his relationships have broken down with key people at Melbourne, and now some players as well.

I think it is time to get creative. We are in the flag window, and JDG wins you flags, so I wouldn't trade him out, I would get him leaner and fitter, he always delivers when it matters.

Out of those I would trade, IQ, Bobby Hill and Beau are the ones who have currency, and would need to involve other clubs, and someone willing to go to Melbourne. IQ is the one out of those three we have trouble covering, Hill has X factor that is rare, but I would trade him if he was keen to leave, and then that leaves Beau as the one I would explore to see if he is keen to go back home to SA, or another club if that is not an option.

McRae was just saying what everyone thinks the other day, we have no capital and can't do it, of course that is what he is going to say, until Trac comes out and declares he wants to come to us. Anything is doable, you just have to be ruthless and decide if you want to win flags, or just make up the numbers. If we were to get pearling and/or Davies, that is going to help our future no doubt, we need to regenerate and we have already stated the draft is not how we are going to do it.

So the question the club will be weighing up is the risk worth it?
As soon as the club starts asking some of our players if they’d be open to being traded, it starts to eat away at our culture we’ve worked so hard to create under Fly.
If they do agree and leave, the players that remain will be unsettled. If all refuse to be traded, they remain and are unsettled - this will have a ripple effect on the playing group.
In a perfect world it’s fine but it’s a dangerous path to go down.

Is his manager referring to support outside of the club?

Not sure offering support from that rabble of a club would be very reassuring 🥴
haha not sure
Maybe I wonder if something to do with trying to get some family to come down more often to help support them. Having 4 month baby with no family around would be tough.
I think Lions did the same with Lachie Neale and his wife a couple years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was Melbourne, I'd be negotiating with other Melbourne clubs - get the best offer and tell Petracca that it's us or them. He's on a 5 year contract - he's not an uncontracted player with the whip hand.
The problem is the destination club is taking on a huge contract and a decent amount of risk. They'd want a fully committed Petracca, not one who'd prefer to be elsewhere.

They could maybe ask him to nominate at least two clubs, but it won't be easy to find them. Nominated clubs also take a risk, they may need to put up players, if they then lose on the bid, they may have a disgruntled player of their own.

It's always best to handle these situations as reasonably as possible. Other players will take notice. This is one of the more difficult ones as the club is the stated cause for the split and agreeing to a trade gives some credence to the complaint. It's closest to Ryder wanting out of Essendon. They talked tough for a while, as did Ryder's camp, threatening grievance tribunal. If Petracca desperately wants out, expect a similar threat if Dees won't deal (probably less cause than Ryder tho).

I don't usually ascribe to the "Collingwood tax", but I do think Melbourne would be especially salty if Petracca chose us and would make things difficult. I'd prefer we target younger players anyway, unless an older player is also moved out - if that was Jordy then the benefit may not be worth the cost.

Last edited:
The problem is the destination club is taking on a huge contract and a decent amount of risk. They'd want a fully committed Petracca, not one who'd prefer to be elsewhere.

They could maybe ask him to nominate at least two clubs, but it won't be easy to find them. Nominating clubs also take a risk, they may need to put up players, if they then lose on the bid, they may have a disgruntled player of their own.

It's always best to handle these situations as reasonably as possible. Other players will take notice. This is one of the more difficult ones as the club is the stated cause for the split and agreeing to a trade gives some credence to the complaint. It's closest to Ryder wanting out of Essendon. They talked tough for a while, as did Ryder's camp, threatening grievance tribunal. If Petracca desperately wants out, expect a similar threat if Dees won't deal (probably less cause than Ryder tho).

I don't usually ascribe to the "Collingwood tax", but I do think Melbourne would be especially salty if Petracca chose us and would make things difficult. I'd prefer we target younger players anyway, unless an older player is also moved out - if that was Jordy then the benefit may not be worth the cost.
They need to just go for picks. They're not getting top players there this year. The place smells.

Get an in principle agreement and then unless Petracca's choice can stump up enough - it's Petracca's call to stay or go to the club offering enough.

What you're describing is MFC terminating Petracca's contract, which is effectively a de-listing. In that case, they get zero at the trade table and only save the wages bill. MFC supporters would burn the place to the ground if that happened.

it's Melbourne

they'd ask the nanny to get some firestarters from the servo when she fills up the Rangey

them they'd watch a travel doco on Sicily and forget about the arson

Macrae delisted? What planet are you on?
Oh I didn’t realise you haven’t watched footy in 2024 that would explain this entire line of posting. To explain for you Macrae’s a state league footballer that can’t handle the step up because he has no real standout traits, doesn’t have a second position and hasn’t got the running power of the smaller inside mids.

He’ll try and find a new home this trade period, but doesn’t have any suitors at this stage so will play out his contract then exit the system.

I think the sensible view is to probably look at guys like Peatling, Hobbs, Keane and bring them into the club for low draft capital.

However, I think there is a real opportunity to look at Dan Houston, particularly with the Noble trade request. We are razor thin for proven half back types. I know most will be against trading out next year round 1 selection, but could we get 20 from GC and package that with our future 1st for Houston?

If McGuane is as good as being reported (top 10 pick), I think this is a move that makes sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back