List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Why wouldn’t AJ just say “No, I’ll see out my existing main list contract, thanks.”?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We can delist any contracted player we want. Most won’t because of the salary cap implications but you can do it
Reckon the bombers delisted someone last year who was contracted

Why wouldn’t AJ just say “No, I’ll see out my existing main list contract, thanks.”?

I don’t think he gets a choice.

Refer back to my earlier post re permission. He can say whatever he likes it doesn’t change that we don’t require his permission to delist him.

If you’re delisted as a contracted player and then re-rookied by same club, going forward, every time your contract expires you automatically become UFA.

This gives you ultimate flexibility /leverage, as a player, to shop yourself around to highest 3rd party bidder (if that’s your thing) ..makes you uber attractive to other clubs since they only have to pay for you in salary cap terms.

This is why I will never understand the price we paid for the Sargeant ..he fell into this category and, in 12 mths time, would have been OOC and UFA!

No one from the entire Melb fc could pick up a phone to chat with his fiancée ..to ask his fiancée to pass the phone to Trac for a chat (if he was able)?

Have a listen to ruff Roffey’s SEN interview from yesterday ..clueless.
I heard an excerpt on SEN, where she said she’d not had spoken with the CP - which in it self was unbelievable. And then later she contradicted herself saying - “ we are all talking to CP”.
Absolutely clueless.
Apparently Tom Morris? has found an interview from 2021 where she said “ culture of the club is my responsibility”.

I think heat will be on her.

Fair point Different characters in this one though and we all know we got unders with Henry
I would agree we got unders on Henry in an open market, but these situations rarely play out that way. Out of curiosity would you do the same deal on Frankie Evans if we’d offered him a 3 year deal? He’s similarly a mature age recruit who hasn’t played much footy in his two years there, but has shown flashes over his career. I’d be uncomfortable with it personally and think we could do a fair bit better.

He can decline to be re-rookied if he would prefer to try his luck with the DFA and SSP process somewhere else. But he can’t decline us delisting him. We’d still have to pay his contract if he doesn’t get picked up somewhere else, and probably the difference if he signs somewhere else for less.

The other option for him is to do what Hugh Greenwood did agree to us delisting him and picking him back up via the rookie draft, and then have a look around to see if he can be picked up as a DFA. Until we re rookie him he’s under no obligation to us if we delist him. Not sure of the salary cap implications in this scenario.

If you’re delisted as a contracted player and then re-rookied by same club, going forward, every time your contract expires you automatically become UFA.

This gives you ultimate flexibility /leverage, as a player, to shop yourself around to highest 3rd party bidder (if that’s your thing) ..makes you uber attractive to other clubs since they only have to pay for you in salary cap terms.

This is why I will never understand the price we paid for the Sargeant ..he fell into this category and, in 12 mths time, would have been OOC and UFA!

Ah, thanks, now I get it. Great explanation!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why on earth would TDK want to go to the basket case that is MFC, especially when he can stay put on big money and and contend for Premierships?

Nobody in their prime will willingly move the MFC. Look how quickly Houston withdrew his interest.

The only players likely to go to MFC would be former guns like Caleb Daniel, Jack Macrae and Luke Parker, who are on the slide at their clubs but wanting to continue playing.

For that reason, I continue to believe that Richmond are in the box seat. They don't have to convince any players to move - they will have first and second round draft picks galore. No other team can come close to matching what the Tigers can offer MFC for a Petracca trade. And if it really drags out near the deadline, he might just cave in and agree.
Why? Because if a team wants Petracca then this is the type of player it is going to cost.

Dylan Moore is going to get some good contracts at Hawthorn as he's in that boat.

With Schultz, salary would be much higher if we waited another year and he might not have gotten to us. He also probably would have found a different club willing to trade for him as he was leaving for "personal reason".

Btw.
I just love the fact that everybody is in the dark about Collingwood’s trade intentions.
That’s the way it should be done.
Good post. We could look at it two ways. There is no leak and we have got fingers in many pies. Or shit, nothing was done whilst Wrighty was away because they thought he was coming back. Now realising he isn't, they have told Leppa to look busy. Start a few rumour's, mention we asked of Lukosius and re-sign a few veterans

I don’t understand this (in response to the tweet, not you TD). Won’t Richmond already be struggling to meet the minimum cap requirements before Lynch leaves? Or is there a presumption of a number of other big fish joining the Tigers. Because I don’t see it.
Clubs in this situation such as the Hawks & NM with a young list normally restructure contracts so that they are front ended to meet the 95% cap requirements. So next year or if there is a FA or trade target they like they are in a position to offer years/$$$

Dylan Moore is going to get some good contracts at Hawthorn as he's in that boat.

With Schultz, salary would be much higher if we waited another year and he might not have gotten to us. He also probably would have found a different club willing to trade for him as he was leaving for "personal reason".
Shultz would never have made it out of last trade period....let alone another year.

The vitriol from other Vic clubs when they found out he wanted to come home meant if we didn't do the deal....someone else 100% would have.

He wanted to come home. If we don't do a deal, he would have gone to another Vic club.

So the "wait a year" is moot.....

Legit question.

Are you allowed to de-list and re-rookie a player who has already been on the rookie list (and elevated)?

Wracking my brain trying to think about where it has happened before (at any club).
Don't know of any list rule that says you can't.....but also don't know of it happening before.

Anyone know of any precedence here?

Legit question.

Are you allowed to de-list and re-rookie a player who has already been on the rookie list (and elevated)?

Wracking my brain trying to think about where it has happened before (at any club).
Don't know of any list rule that says you can't.....but also don't know of it happening before.

Anyone know of any precedence here?
There's no limit on who can be rookie do I'd be surprised if there was a rule that stopped it.

I know there is a lot of noise about the age demographic of our list. It cant be changed in one off season.

I do believe we need to start this year though, bring in 2 at least or 3 players in the system on the fringe or just inside the 22 from other clubs and start the process of building that core. Hobbs, Peatling, Berry ( i understand he has signed a new contract , not saying we can get him, using his likeness for the type of player)

We also need to play them, not let them languish in the 2s. Nearly take the Maynard approach and just get games into them. Thats probably more extreme as we will know what type of player we are getting if they have been in the system a few years.

Start this year , add a few next offseason , with McGuane hopefully. List looks completely different in a shorter space of time. I really hope we dont go Petracca and sell away this opportunity with Noble going out and Richards potentially , use what we get from them to get other types in.

Yeah same if Port give us a 2nd rounder based off a 3 year contract they obv rate him, I'd take it.

We gave up that for Murray with much less exposure.

I always felt Murray was an astute trade by us right up to the moment he blew up his career. What might have been. Had some great attributes for modern, fast footy.

Then who becomes our ruck man?

Doesn't help out our new whiz bang midfielders if we don't have a decent ruck 🥴

Look how well it went for Dees, Gawn & Brodie when we gave them our last one.
Cox, but that would be probably a 12 month band aid.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Collingwood Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back