Game Day Collingwood v Fremantle 15 July MCG 1.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fremantle are sorta my second team. When I lived in Perth, they were the antidote to the West Coast, the type of team best thought of as "American Psycho" serial killers in the west: psychopathic suits, pumped full of money, successful in life, and with the ethics of a wall street exec who spends his time torturing puppies. West Coast are just plain evil. So when the Dockers came on the scene it was a relief. Most of my mates immediately started following them.

It helps that they've been hopeless forever. It's hard to hate a loser club. I mean, is there any more of a clownish club? The Suns are terrible, but they never had that bizarre psychedelic anchor jumper. The Dockers' song is based on the Volga batmen's song -- an amazing piece -- and the composer somehow mixed it with the worst 1980s pub rock beat, to turn it into .... what tf is that??!!! Honestly, their players should start wearing clown makeup. It would be consistent.

Anyway. Their midfield is solid, but without Serong and Fyfe, we'll brush it aside. They're forward line young, mobile, but not dominant. Their defence .... bland.

They can't match us anywhere.

So the interest will come for us here: what will we learn about our team? The biggest curiosity is McStay's final return. I don't expect much from him, but that's fine. He'll take a few weeks.

Again, if it were me, I'd be playing a few of the younger fringe players: Ginnivan, Macrae, Harrison, Ruscoe, Bianco, and so on. I'd be giving each a game or two in the next few weeks. But we know that won't happen. I'm thinking of the future, the coaches are thinking of the now.

So we're going with out best team and we'll smack the Dockers. This one will be a flogging. Our midfield will smash theirs and the game will look different to most of our games, with a lot of forward half turnovers. The ball will probably live in our forward 50. That will be a different look. How will our forward line work when we're not bouncing from the back half and pace isn't quite so important? It'll mean more weight on our talls: Cox, Cameron, McStay, Johnson. And more importance on our big bodied midlielders and forwards: McReery, DeGoey, Adams, etc.

The Washup

The Pies by 55 points in the equivalent of the American Psycho torturing puppies!

Should be an easy win, which concerns me a little. We'll surely get the job done, but the games that seem easy to walk into, seem to be the ones that give us the biggest scare!
I know, every time I think: ah, we'll do this in a canter, I get a dose of the DradeDraft's -- I got a bad feeling!

but they never had that bizarre psychedelic anchor jumper.

How dare you criticise that jumper! And it was purple, green, red and white. What’s not to love about that? A tragedy that’s it’s been superseded.

Still, a yearning for their old jumper will not prevent me from dancing to their humiliation on Saturday. Big win for the Pies coming up.

I cried when we lost to them at Subiaco in 2002. Totally dramatic, but Justin Longmuir owes me my tears back.

It helps that they've been hopeless forever. It's hard to hate a loser club.

See, any time I watch them beat Collingwood in Melbourne, where it feels almost heretical that they’d win anywhere outside of Perth, and the 2013-15 losses to them in Perth, yeah nah, they can shove it. I blame the 2001 wooden spoon for giving me the pretence they will always be hopeless, even when they manage wins in Adelaide, Geelong, or Sydney.

Carry on 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be an easy win, which concerns me a little. We'll surely get the job done, but the games that seem easy to walk into, seem to be the ones that give us the biggest scare!

It’s a tacit agreement we seem to have with most of the competition:

• Collingwood will take the 4 points
  • The two teams will put on a good show for all the fans
  • As long as the opposition put in their best effort and give Collingwood a decent work-out, Collingwood won’t make them look like fools.

Last edited:
Man David King was right about Mitchell 😅

Any official word that Mitchell will be sub? If that's the case then no Fin makes sense. It's just usual sub rotation. If Mitchell is not playing at all then I'd think Fin would be a chance of sub.

Edit: apparently the club has confirmed Mitchell is sub. Just usual rotation then. The one older players that hasn't missed a game yet, as far as I can recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back