Preview Collingwood vs Geelong, 12 months on.

Remove this Banner Ad

While I don't usually love looking back into the past, especially when the result was not good for us, I think we need to look at the 2 sides and how they have changed since the 2009 preliminary final.

Geelong 3.6 7.7 11.13 17.18 (120)
Collingwood 2.2 5.8 6.9 6.11 (47)

GOALS
Geelong:
Chapman 5, Hawkins 2, Ablett 2, Byrnes 2, Varcoe 2, Ottens, S. Johnson, Mooney, Corey
Collingwood: L. Brown, Johnson, O'Brien, Lockyer, Didak, Macaffer
BEST
Geelong:
Ablett, Corey, Chapman, Ling, Mackie, Taylor, Scarlett, Bartel
Collingwood: O'Bree, L. Brown, Shaw, O'Brien, Didak
INJURIES
Geelong:
Nil
Collingwood: Pendlebury (leg) replaced in selected side by Beams
Reports: Nil
Umpires: McLaren, Rosebury, Ryan
Official crowd: 87,258 at the MCG

Collingwood ins and outs;

Ins: Jolly, Ball, Blair, Pendlebury, Reid, Dawes

Outs: Wood, Anthony, O'Bree, Dick, Lockyer, Goldsack

Geelong ins and outs;

Ins: Podsiadly, Stokes, Hunt, Lonergan

Outs: Harley, Mackie, Blake, Rooke

Obviously, I'm assuming Mackie is left out, and Lonergan plays, and also that Wellingham and Presti both play for the pies. But you look at the Collingwood “outs” more then the ins, and you see how bad a side we had in that final last year.

Last year, we were a very slow team, with one ruckman, and an ordinary ruckman at that. This year we have improved dramatically, with the likes of Ball, Jolly, Dawes, Reid, Blair and one bloke called Pendlebury, who missed the whole finals series last year.

Simply put, we have improved, where if anything, Geelong have gone backwards, losing the likes of Harley, Rooke and maybe Mackie in a 12 month span.

You can plainly see why we are a "real chance" this week, in fact why we are favourites heading into this game.

We have improved, Geelong have not.:thumbsu:

Looking at the outs, in career best form, probably only Dick gets a game this week. JA at a pinch but doesn't provide the contest Dawes does, especially against Geelong.

Heart wrenching last years result...though 07 felt worse imo

No matter, we are a different side and a better side than back then

Talking just quickly about early tactics, i think that nomatter what defensive setup they go with (either mackie or lonergan seems to be the decision) we can overcome it.

If lonergan goes out, Scarlett has to be accountable for one of dawes or cloke and if its the former this is a win for us as we could use dawes as a decoy and play up the ground more which take Scarlett out of his defensive comfort zone.

if lonergan plays, it means that scarlett will look to play the loose man in defense which is probably the least desirable scenario considering how he went against the dockers.

Other interesting changes to the Geelong side is probably the inclusion of Pods. He's an interesting variable in this match partly because of how Geelong will choose between Hawkins or Blake. If hawkins play, it will be a 3 tall forwardline which will make them incredibly slow however still dangerous in the contests. If blake plays...well i dont think blake is much chop so i'd LOVE to see that.

I think Byrnes is going to play a role if the cats are to win he's got the speed to maybe cause some trouble to our back six, but overall im not too concerned. Varcoe has become a dangerous player too, as is stokes so if were to win we'll have to keep a tight check on them

stevie J is the enigma in the geelong camp, if he has a good day he could cause some havoc. Tooves or Harry O wil probably get the job and should be able to get it done well

Pies by 4 goals

Heart wrenching last years result...though 07 felt worse imo

No matter, we are a different side and a better side than back then

Talking just quickly about early tactics, i think that nomatter what defensive setup they go with (either mackie or lonergan seems to be the decision) we can overcome it.

If lonergan goes out, Scarlett has to be accountable for one of dawes or cloke and if its the former this is a win for us as we could use dawes as a decoy and play up the ground more which take Scarlett out of his defensive comfort zone.

if lonergan plays, it means that scarlett will look to play the loose man in defense which is probably the least desirable scenario considering how he went against the dockers.

Other interesting changes to the Geelong side is probably the inclusion of Pods. He's an interesting variable in this match partly because of how Geelong will choose between Hawkins or Blake. If hawkins play, it will be a 3 tall forwardline which will make them incredibly slow however still dangerous in the contests. If blake plays...well i dont think blake is much chop so i'd LOVE to see that.

I think Byrnes is going to play a role if the cats are to win he's got the speed to maybe cause some trouble to our back six, but overall im not too concerned. Varcoe has become a dangerous player too, as is stokes so if were to win we'll have to keep a tight check on them

stevie J is the enigma in the geelong camp, if he has a good day he could cause some havoc. Tooves or Harry O wil probably get the job and should be able to get it done well

Pies by 4 goals

Harry will go on Stevie J, he does a good job on him and i want Macaffer on Chapman for a bit becuase he also has played well on him the last few times we have played em.

Our forward press was what got Geelong into a lot of trouble in our most recent meeting and they scored quite heavily once they got I50.

If they have 50+ I50's then i believe we will be beaten. If we can implement the game plan between 85% and 95%, we will win the game. Its going to be a cracker and is basically a 'mini grand final' (no disrespect to St Kilda but this should be the grand final)

Harry will go on Stevie J, he does a good job on him and i want Macaffer on Chapman for a bit becuase he also has played well on him the last few times we have played em.

My preferred option too. Which will probably mean Tooves to stokes/byrnes

The other big question mark is who comes in if wellingham isnt 100%?

I remember the first time we played the Cats this year and it was Sherrifs first game back from injury and he didnt look great on that night, so im not interested in seeing a 50-70% fit Wellingham out there

Perhaps medhurst comes in and the others are just rotated around, i.e beams goes more into the middle than floating forward

My preferred option too. Which will probably mean Tooves to stokes/byrnes

The other big question mark is who comes in if wellingham isnt 100%?

I remember the first time we played the Cats this year and it was Sherrifs first game back from injury and he didnt look great on that night, so im not interested in seeing a 50-70% fit Wellingham out there

Perhaps medhurst comes in and the others are just rotated around, i.e beams goes more into the middle than floating forward

If Wellingham doesnt play then we are in a bit of trouble becuase he has played well on Ablett in the past and we need his speed. If he is out then we have to bring in Medhurst and play Leon in the middle.

If Sharrod's out they might opt to go with Goldsack & push Shaw into the midfield.

Yes but: we lost by rather a lot back then. So the question is, have we improved by a sufficient margin? I hope so, but I'm not overly confident. The scenario I most fear is (a) we knock ourselves around playing Geelong, and then (b) lose by a small magin to the Saints in a crappy game a week later.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yes but: we lost by rather a lot back then. So the question is, have we improved by a sufficient margin? I hope so, but I'm not overly confident. The scenario I most fear is (a) we knock ourselves around playing Geelong, and then (b) lose by a small magin to the Saints in a crappy game a week later.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Mate, come Friday night, at about 10.00pm, I seriously only want to see one result, and that's a Collingwood win, by any margin, in any fashion, and with the side in any state.

We'll worry about next week after this Friday night, because to put it simply, we have 0% of winning the flag if we lose this week, as we will at least have a percentage chance of winning, even if the Fat, slow, old cats knock the shit out of us.

I guess what I'm saying is worry about this week first, and then worry about the GF once we beat the Cats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dont be supprised if rooke plays.........
Nah, there's only 2 possible ins for Geelong this week, Mackie who is 50/50 and Blake, who is about a 20% chance.

The Cats gave up on Rooke when he failed to play a full game in his VFL return.

I hope they leave Mackie out, but I think he will play, they'd be stupid not to play him.

Thanks for the team comparison from last year Matty, I was going to post on here and ask for one. I'm nervous about going, if we play at our best we can win it, if Geelong play at there best and force errors it'll be a real scrap.

I just hope to be going to my 4th C'Wood Grand Final! :D

While I don't usually love looking back into the past, especially when the result was not good for us, I think we need to look at the 2 sides and how they have changed since the 2009 preliminary final.

Collingwood ins and outs;

Ins: Jolly, Ball, Blair, Pendlebury, Reid, Dawes

Outs: Wood, Anthony, O'Bree, Dick, Lockyer, Goldsack

Geelong ins and outs;

Ins: Podsiadly, Stokes, Hunt, Lonergan

Outs: Harley, Mackie, Blake, Rooke

Obviously, I'm assuming Mackie is left out, and Lonergan plays, and also that Wellingham and Presti both play for the pies. But you look at the Collingwood “outs” more then the ins, and you see how bad a side we had in that final last year.

Last year, we were a very slow team, with one ruckman, and an ordinary ruckman at that. This year we have improved dramatically, with the likes of Ball, Jolly, Dawes, Reid, Blair and one bloke called Pendlebury, who missed the whole finals series last year.

Simply put, we have improved, where if anything, Geelong have gone backwards, losing the likes of Harley, Rooke and maybe Mackie in a 12 month span.

You can plainly see why we are a "real chance" this week, in fact why we are favourites heading into this game.

We have improved, Geelong have not.:thumbsu:

Podsy and Stokes have been pretty good adds to the Geelong side so you cant say they haven't improved as such, its just we've developed and improved much more as a team from 12 months ago.

Will be a close one, lets hope the boys can get over them.

dont be supprised if rooke plays.........
If Rooke plays it will be an error of "Des Headland" proportions and a true admission by Bomber that's he packing it.
No chance of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back