Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently read Wayne’s biography and I have some sympathy for him. I think he has always wanted to reconcile with the club but it’s always been too hard to do for various reasons. Unfortunately in his media role his attempts to help more often than not actually have the opposite effect.

I'm in two minds about Wayne Carey chiming in on the latest media smack down against the club. He makes some interesting observations about there being something fractious and corrosive in the chain of command within club from the top down to the bottom. I have strongly suspected that there has been for some time. I saw something exactly the same play out at North Ballarat in 2014-16 when they were finally booted from the VFL. There was a massive disconnect between the North Ballarat Board, the Coach and the Player Group and it was reflected in their on-field performance having crashed from winning three consecutive VFL Flags from 2008-2010 to being the easy beats of the competition within four years.

I found it curious yesterday that Duck would comment given that his own actions very much derailed the team 20 years ago. He has never really contributed back to the club in that time, although in fairness he did spend ten years in the wilderness as a persona non grata from the Club while at the same time struggling with his own personal demons. But since being welcomed back into the fold as a recognised Club Legend I am not aware of any mentoring or coaching role that he has given to the club or its player group, so why now would he be speaking out?

it's clear he's wanted to try and reconcile with the club, but the club would rather appease the pearl clutches and banish him forever. if the club was serious about winning, getting memberships and making money they'd bring him back while he has some relevance in the industry.

north could have in it's team the GOAT, his mindset and footy IQ to pass onto players like JHF, but instead we chose to pay paul roos a million a year for f*** all.

I think Duck and his pork sword did more damage to the club than this fiasco has.
Ripped the soul from the playing group and supporters!!
this sh*t amuses me. if it weren't for him the club wouldn't be around. no '96 flag, no '99 flag, no GOAT player, no viewers, no extreme highs, only lows. this jilted lover BS is so childish.

I think the point is that our history has made us who we are today, which is a people centric club. I agree that while we're not on par with a West Coast or Collingwood we're not lagging 2 decades behind the rest of the comp any more when it comes to resources.
It’s interesting, though, until recently being a people-centric club has meant we rarely lost anyone we wanted to keep, also rarely/never pushed hard bargains when any player did want to be traded out, sold the farm when any player wanted in, and were generally seen - including by posters here - as being pretty soft on the people side of things. If we become hard arsed about the list and our off field staff, it probably takes time (and excellent leadership) to find a new equilibrium and a different culture. I’ve honestly got no idea if the recruiting guys are a big loss or not, but it does strike me as a bit rich if anyone who was part of the scorched earth delistings of the last two years goes to the media because they don’t feel loved enough.

it's clear he's wanted to try and reconcile with the club, but the club would rather appease the pearl clutches and banish him forever. if the club was serious about winning, getting memberships and making money they'd bring him back while he has some relevance in the industry.

north could have in it's team the GOAT, his mindset and footy IQ to pass onto players like JHF, but instead we chose to pay paul roos a million a year for f*** all.

this sh*t amuses me. if it weren't for him the club wouldn't be around. no '96 flag, no '99 flag, no GOAT player, no viewers, no extreme highs, only lows. this jilted lover BS is so childish.
I don't think Wayne is serious.

He was asked a nothing question by a nothing journalist and gave a nothing answer.

Firstly banish him forever?

the second to last major function the club had (in 2019) was the 150th dinner where he was named the best player we have ever had. I am not sure how that makes him banished for ever. I shook the blokes hand at that function so I know he was there......

In terms of trying to reconcile with the club, let's break down what he said:

"I have spoken to Sonja (so he knows how to contact her).....

.....I am willing to help, my door is always open."

Wayno, Phone numbers are only 10 numbers long and a neat trick is that phones actually work both ways, if you want to help put your hand up, call Sonja.

If it is just a media bite, STFU.

Don't tell me Duck couldn't teach Larkey, Comben, Edwards, CCJ, Zurhaar etc a few forward craft trick s
Literally just said the same thing now in response to Amarfio.

Former champions want to help but THE CLUB needs to initiate it.

I’m 100% convinced the club doesn’t want to undermine the line coaches but considering we’ve maxed out the cap we need all the extra assistance we can get. It’s a ****ing no brainer.

Duck, come down to Wednesday’s main session. Work with the forwards for a couple of hours. Let’s do that for 4-6 weeks and we’ll promote your TV/Radio shows to thank you. Done.

I’m 100% convinced the club doesn’t want to undermine the line coaches but considering we’ve maxed out the cap we need all the extra assistance we can get. It’s a ******* no brainer.

Duck, come down to Wednesday’s main session. Work with the forwards for a couple of hours. Let’s do that for 4-6 weeks and we’ll promote your TV/Radio shows to thank you. Done.

The last few pages makes for some interesting reading but what sticks out is just how delusional some of the rank and file are on here about our current situation.

So what if Duck said it’s the lowest points the clubs been in for some time.
His actions ****ed the club and still are to this day, but back then we had strong on field leaders, we had Denis in the box and we endured.

Some just can’t come to terms and accept that things are ****ing dire across the board. I’m yet to see any justifiable reasoning as to how they’re not. A young list doesn’t mean shit and ours has holes in it.

This doesn’t mean that it’s all doom and gloom and we automatically get defensive when the clubs called out for its current woes. If it has merit and isn’t blind slander then we just got to wear it. Let me read it out for your all, Norths shit does stink and right now we’re the worst performing side on the field and off it.

We’ve had a change in president, a change in football boss, a change in coach, the playing list has 3 key position players on it, we have no experienced on field leaders like Cunnington, Tarrant and Higging to help the Captain and our development is suspect and not to a standard we need.

All these issues are current but they’re fixable. So stop the lashing out, stop the “you ****ed my club Wayne so you can go **** yourself” calls. The man clearly wants to help and I have it on good authority that the club is the party who stops him from assisting. Not Duck. Same with Corey. So why should they call knowing they’re going to be told thanks, but no thanks?

Sonja, Ben, Brady, Dan McPherson and Noble they need to get together, actually as a collective be on the same page and pick up the phone and bring these champions down. Nothing is more important than a united front right now and this would do wonders for the confidence levels and general excitement around the place.

For mine, the Carey curse won’t be healed until he is back down at a main training session with the Puma Polo top on and the place can finally get some closure and move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m 100% convinced the club doesn’t want to undermine the line coaches but considering we’ve maxed out the cap we need all the extra assistance we can get. It’s a ******* no brainer.

The counter argument to this is that Duck mightn't actually be a very good coach and mentor. Often the ridiculously talented people find it hard to pass on their knowledge because they can't relate to people who find it more difficult than they did. It would be good PR to have Duck at training, but who's to say that the players wouldn't learn more from being coached by Digby Morrell.

The counter argument to this is that Duck mightn't actually be a very good coach and mentor. Often the ridiculously talented people find it hard to pass on their knowledge because they can't relate to people who find it more difficult than they did. It would be good PR to have Duck at training, but who's to say that the players wouldn't learn more from being coached by Digby Morrell.

Just the presence and the positive media would be enough.
Surely Carey could pass on some forward craft tips

Lol that was quick

That’s good by Noble. Can’t help but notice he’s the one whose handled this week the best out of all the senior figures. Let’s see what comes of it
This is just not true. Duck spent time with Travis Cloke and Tom Hawkins. Look how they turned out? He is an asset anyone arguing otherwise just has an agenda.
I’d take our forwards will learn more from contested marking craft from Duck then they would from Jordan Russell

Not a fan of Kingy referring to us as a country club playing AFL. I think we’re well and truly past that analogy. The club is well equipped now. Not sure what that was about tbh.
Agree - what an idiot. Couldn't believe I was hearing that.

This is just not true. Duck spent time with Travis Cloke and Tom Hawkins. Look how they turned out? He is an asset anyone arguing otherwise just has an agenda.
I’d take our forwards will learn more from contested marking craft from Duck then they would from Jordan Russell
I can assure you I have no agenda.

Firstly banish him forever?

the second to last major function the club had (in 2019) was the 150th dinner where he was named the best player we have ever had. I am not sure how that makes him banished for ever. I shook the blokes hand at that function so I know he was there......

In terms of trying to reconcile with the club, let's break down what he said:

"I have spoken to Sonja (so he knows how to contact her).....

.....I am willing to help, my door is always open."

Wayno, Phone numbers are only 10 numbers long and a neat trick is that phones actually work both ways, if you want to help put your hand up, call Sonja.

If it is just a media bite, STFU.

LOL because he was undeniable. he's the GOAT, they can't stick their heads in the sand when it's that undeniable.
HOWEVER we've got Archer, Stevens, Brady, Blakey, boomer all currently involved and many others over the years. it boggles the mind he hasn't been asked back to help considering the gold mine he would be. that's what i'm referring to, not the odd club function.

As for contacting Sonja...i don't know what to say. your bias has completely blinded you. As if Wayne is the one that should be coming back to the club begging for a position. It's up to them to put the past behind them and welcome him back.

Think he did some forward craft work with Naughton a few preseasons ago before he exploded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back