Autopsy v Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we did well preventing them from scoring despite their dominance for large periods. It seemed to me that we were too small.

Just think we had a very ordinary game..but this is a side that normally blows us off the park or we drop our heads and away they go..
Some players on our side doing strange things..and hair pulling out things yes…but geez 17 points…instead of 60 plus….with horrid decisions from our team….iron that out and make a few more changes at years end..here’s to the future.
I’ll take all of our games since the bye….

Watching the replay -

Q1 -

So many shanks and fumbles.
Jy, McDonald, and Scott, the main culprits with an cameo from Zurhaar's first disposal under 0 pressure for a turnover in the corridor and goal.

Defence held up relatively well, mids all lost opponents throughout the quarter with Powell either in neutral at the stoppage or 5th gear if the ball was in reach. Not good enough.

Early forward play was sharp enough with good i50 pressure, creating some nice sausage rolls.

Again. Scott's kicking and disposal in general is breathtakingly bad.

I have no idea who is on Bont as he is running through stoppages unopposed. Richards is everywhere.

Of course, the chuckers got the rub of the green, and we're playing a different game according to the yellow maggots.

If I played on Weightman, I'd break his jaw and take the 8 weeks as soon as he ducked or flopped on principal. I might even go on with it and grab him by the manbun and give him a right touch-up if he got lippy, lol

Q2 -

HTB adjudication polar opposites for both teams.

Even banged up, Bont is the best player in the game. Simply a gun. Was doing as he pleased, not even sure he had an opponent tbh.

Lethargic start to the quarter. Pink isn't the answer. He battles hard but doesn't have the presence nor the kicking to do any damage.

KD is no slouch. He wears his man like a glove, has great closing speed if out of position, and almost always gets body on his man in marking contests.

Xerri is a monster. I love seeing him clunking CMs.

Mazda nearly took MotY.

Q2 was a shitshow. A pre bye throwback with **** all intensity and the midfield were stomped on. Just 7 i50s for 0.0.
Very disappointing and honestly, a miracle to be only 18 points down at the main break.

Q3 -

Stoppage set up, especially inside d50 NM mids sucked in while Dogs exit goal side lol

Eddie Ford will play 200 games imo Smart player.

Similar play to Q2. Down the line, kicks to contests(often outnumbered), no real run or desire to take the game on. Larkey mauled, not because he doesn't contest, because the ball movement is flipping pathetic. Was caught flat-footed a couple of times but is clearly demoralised.

Jacko Arch fast becoming a favourite. Hates being beaten, composed, and plays with heart. Can't wait to see him in 2-3 pre seasons. Reckon he'll make Glenn look like a weed, but his old man definitely has him for leg speed and homicidal attack on ball and man lol

Once again, I would knock the snot out of Weightman. Mouthy campaigner it is.

The more i watch, the more Powell stands out like a sore thumb defensively. Switches off and only interested when ball in direct vicinity.

LDU started the game decently, but zero rhythm, zero timing, and zero affect over 2 quarters. Missing George. Ying and yang.

If Laura Kane has signed off on the new HTB interpretation as a 'success', she is so far out of her depth it's criminal. It's an abortion, an utter abortion.

Struggled to stay awake that quarter tbh.

Q4 -

There's not much to say about this quarter. To little, too late. OOF from LDU and Scott, still benign ball movement but at least they battled it out until the end.

Wills game was neither here, nor there and the midfield was torn apart. The Dogs clearly put the cue in the rack very early into the 4th so I don't take many positives out of this quarter either.

Watch the tape, learn what's to be learned and quickly move on to the GC.

Tough game to watch as Western probably match up on us better than anyone atm.

Votes -

3 - Comben
2- Xerri
1 - Ford

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Haven't read the thread but Weightmen is a flopping, diving, acting campaigner.

That's all.
Dont think ive ever seen a more punchable head especially after a goal where he went out of his way to stick his tongue out at Arch. I mean WTF is that, some sort of weird man bun flirting tactic?

Thought both Ford and Curtis were both better than CZ.

Standard CZ day, flashes of brilliance. Gone missing for 50% of it.

Not on his pat malone, but so frustrating for a guy that is probably going to demand $700k per year
I agree he hasn’t displayed the consistency needed by a player in his role, I doubt he has improved overall, would love him to but he might be worth more to the club as trade bait ☹️

Probably my favourite part of the last few weeks is how much this means to Archer. His opponent gets a look in or he gives away a free kick and he's just gutted. In time I hope he learns to not sweat the small stuff but it's that attitude that I love to see.

Feel like both teams would walk away dissapointed today. Weird game. Still better than the first half of this year. Chalk it up to another game of experience for the under 25's and move on.

I must have been watching a different game to others, I thought Tucker was poor. I don't know what he offers? Just seems a very average ordinary footballer. Doesn't have the pace to play on the wing, doesn't have the smarts to play defence, decision making not great, slow to execute..
I have been a flip flopping fence sitter with Tucker. Today the number of errors was actual pretty good considering the high number of disposals, but I don't recall much hurt factor either. Ultimately his standard now comes across to me as a medium term stop gap: Ceiling isn't that high but if he keeps the errors in check then he can fulfill a role, but you would hope to get an upgrade on him down the track.

I have been a flip flopping fence sitter with Tucker. Today the number of errors was actual pretty good considering the high number of disposals, but I don't recall much hurt factor either. Ultimately his standard now comes across to me as a medium term stop gap: Ceiling isn't that high but if he keeps the errors in check then he can fulfill a role, but you would hope to get an upgrade on him down the track.
Ultimately he strikes me as the midfield sized version of Josh Walker. Works hard but ultimately when he has the ball it slows the play down and he isn't decisive nor dangerous with ball in hand. At AFL level getting it 30 times like this becomes a liability.

Agree and we also need to keep in mind Collingwood had a number of good players out and the Dees aren’t flying so all relative.

We’re competitive and not getting blown off the park so it’s definitely an improvement and we’ve got some excellent young talent.

Honestly I was expecting to lose by about 6 goals today with all the Dogs quality ins so I think we did pretty well all things considered.

No Bont we win

Simple

Ultimately he strikes me as the midfield sized version of Josh Walker. Works hard but ultimately when he has the ball it slows the play down and he isn't decisive nor dangerous with ball in hand. At AFL level getting it 30 times like this becomes a liability.
I can’t get over how slow he and fisher are from receive to disposal by foot. Love to know how many times they’ve both been smothered this season. And these are our ‘ball users’.

One thing about Tucker is he does get to good spots around marking contests. Did he ever play small forward at Freo?

Probably my favourite part of the last few weeks is how much this means to Archer. His opponent gets a look in or he gives away a free kick and he's just gutted. In time I hope he learns to not sweat the small stuff but it's that attitude that I love to see.

Feel like both teams would walk away dissapointed today. Weird game. Still better than the first half of this year. Chalk it up to another game of experience for the under 25's and move on.
I’ve been super impressed with Archers intercept marking & skills by foot & Hand apart from his well known aggressive attack at the footy & opponents.
I thought that at start of his young career that he’s skills would be his detriment but he has come on leaps & bounds . So good . He will be a 200 game player . Does not have any competition for that small defender spot at present. Probably one of the first picked every week as every opposition has a minimum of 1 key small dangerous forward.

What struck me yesterday was how often we kicked over the man on the mark.

What I mean by that is that across half back or on the wing/going into 50… we’d have the ball, completely stagnant/no options… so the man with the ball would wait until the umpire calls play on and the man on the mark would advance and force a high loopy kick forward that would get picked off.

I think there’s been a shift post bye that we don’t want to go too aggressive and be vulnerable in defence off turnover. But yesterday we got that balance wrong and it played into the hands of how Footscray set up behind the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's been one of my favourite highlights this year

Haven't read the thread but Weightmen is a flopping, diving, acting campaigner.

That's all.
Actually quite hard to avoid free kicks against Weightman, given he runs after players to bump them and throw himself on the ground.

If you're standing there looking the other way, you'll get a free kick against for not seeing him intentionally run into you.

It’s the morning after so it’s time for everyone’s favourite Dew post.
Did we win or did we lose?
Never mind the scoreboard as my ladder at home suggests we did in fact win for the fourth game in a row.

I have a formula which when I punch everything in spits out the correct result…

4 in a row, we are huge!

Weightman can ead!

Herald Sun review of the game leads with Weightman staging for two iffy frees that led to goals, and Clarko bringing up milking in the post match media conference.

I don’t think it was why North lost - and Clarko also made it very clear that we were beaten by a better team - but it still leaves a bad taste in your mouth. And it will never stop while players get rewarded in game and there are no real consequences later.

His old man used to hate losing any contest at all until he retired. Jackson will be the same.

Herald Sun review of the game leads with Weightman staging for two iffy frees that led to goals, and Clarko bringing up milking in the post match media conference.

I don’t think it was why North lost - and Clarko also made it very clear that we were beaten by a better team - but it still leaves a bad taste in your mouth. And it will never stop while players get rewarded in game and there are no real consequences later.
It’s a stain on the game that needs to be called out more… akin to the way the media and public went after our own Lindsay, who was never as bad as some of these campaigners today.

Would love to see this stamped out of the game. Not sure also why Maynard clutched his head when the contact was to the sternum in the Gold Coast game.

Some pointed snippets from the HS article:

"Kangaroos youngster Jackson Archer was penalised way off the ball for supposedly catching Weightman too high, but TV replays showed Archer barely grazed the Bulldog’s ponytail."

"After teammate Adam Treloar took a mark 50m out on the boundary line, North defender Aidan Corr pushed Weightman with all the power of a wet lettuce leaf, but incredibly the umpire bought it hook, line and sinker after the Bulldogs forward acted as if he was shot, and paid Treloar a 50m penalty, turning an incredibly difficult shot on goal into a certainty.

Just prior to that, North had generated a bit of momentum by kicking a pair of goals to get back within 25 points. However, any hope they had of mounting a comeback went up in smoke thanks to the umpire’s gullibility."

I still see big improvements yesterday.

We lost by under 3 goals to a red hot team who has the best player in the comp, playing a blinder.

We kept them under 100 points.

The scoreboard probably flattered us, but that’s down to some defensive performances imo.

We would have last that game by 12 goals 3 months ago.

The first few signs of teams taking their time and not being able to rebound from our back half also are encouraging.

Get Wardlaw, McKercher, Logue and Hardeman into this side at the expense of some senior players sabotaging us, will be great.

Would love to see this stamped out of the game. Not sure also why Maynard clutched his head when the contact was to the sternum in the Gold Coast game.

"Kangaroos youngster Jackson Archer was penalised way off the ball for supposedly catching Weightman too high, but TV replays showed Archer barely grazed the Bulldog’s ponytail."

"After teammate Adam Treloar took a mark 50m out on the boundary line, North defender Aidan Corr pushed Weightman with all the power of a wet lettuce leaf, but incredibly the umpire bought it hook, line and sinker after the Bulldogs forward acted as if he was shot, and paid Treloar a 50m penalty, turning an incredibly difficult shot on goal into a certainty.

Just prior to that, North had generated a bit of momentum by kicking a pair of goals to get back within 25 points. However, any hope they had of mounting a comeback went up in smoke thanks to the umpire’s gullibility."
There were plenty of other suspect decisions on the day, particularly some inconsistent HTBs and ignored throws. I fully agree that the opposition looked to be playing better football and for most of the match they were in control but I contend that if the umpiring was neutral then the game might have played out differently. North have no chance when the lopsided decisions favour the opponent from the opening bounce.

Back in the day, players like Weightman got their comeuppance. Now days the can get away with their rubbish because any player who responds will be penalised. Not only are germs like that protected, they are actually rewarded. It's absolutely disgusting and totally outside the spirit of the game.

Who wrote the article? That’s some great calling out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back